Don't want to give up my cereal yet

rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

I am eating processed cereal with lots of raw toppings, like fax seed, and pumpkin seed and cut up fruit. This I eat everyday with one cup of 1% milk.

As I make the transition, what is the best approach for healthy milk alternatives to put in my cereal. Would it be go to skim and then soy and then something else??? Eventually I want to make my own cereal, it doesn’t look too hard, nuts, raisins, some flaxseed, some kind of grains, etc.

This is what I bring to work with me, along with lots o fresh fruit and a big green salad with sprouts, radishes, tomatoes, cucumbers, snowpeas, green onion.

Since I get up at 4:30 in the morning and start work at 6:00am I prepare my meal the night before.

Thanks.

Comments

• Hello, I am new here – but have been making a raw cereal and it’s great – I use almond milk instead of regular milk and you can make it the night before – it will hold a day or two in the fridge!

Here’s my cereal recipe though ( I got it from a video by Karen Knowler on Utube)

Raw Muesli: handfull of nuts (almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts, pecans, or whatever you are in the mood for or have on hand) blueberries apples dried fruits (apricots) peach banana dates rasberries

You cut it all up and switch up the fruits too if you think they will go good together – You can have it all ready in tupperware and add the milk in the morning

It’s nice and satisfying too…will keep you full for most of the morning and get you going for sure :)

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

BCKILINN – I think your advice was great. Almond milk is great and soy is not considered a health food except by those who promote and sell it. There are several ways to make raw cereal.

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

You can make your own hemp seed or sunflower seed milk in small quantities the night before. That way, you’ll have something fairly fresh each day. Try versions with different seeds or nuts, or even combos. I made a cereal for my boyfriend which was a base of soaked and dehydrated buckwheat groats. I made a grawnola from flax, chia, raisins, goji berries, black sesame, sunflower and pumpkin seeds and almonds. The (presoaked) flax, chia and a little yacon syrup held it together. After dehydrating, I broke it up into bits and chunks. The only seasoning I used was a little freshly ground cinnamon. I could have used dehydrated cranberries or blueberries, but the only ones I had weren’t truly raw. The batch I made lasted 3 weeks, in a sealed jar in the refrigerator. He only ate 1/2 cup at a time, with a sliced banana and almond milk. For a first try, he thought it was great.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

You should check out Food for Life http://www.foodforlife.com/

They have awesome cereals. I top mine with banana and Goji Berries and use Rice milk. It’s sooo tasty and still very healthy. They use sprouted grains but baking is at around 200 degrees, so it’s not raw, but still very good for you.

You should also search this site for cereal. There are some good recipes I have used here. And FYI sprouted wheat berries are awesome! The aroma alone will make you melt! :)