juice feast??

rawforhealthrawforhealth Raw Newbie

I am new to raw and my dr recommended I start doing a juice fast, or feast as we call it ;) but said to start VERY slow because I am ill…so to start with even one day a week or even less…just wondering..how much juice is one supposed to drink during this time and also…what supplements or superfoods should you be taking? One last thing…a HUGE concern for me is expense…I read that in doing a longer juice feast (and of course using organic produce which is all I do use) can cost 10 to 15 bucks a DAY…how can I do this, even once or twice a week?

thanks for any info on this..i am awaiting a new juicer to even start doing once a week since the one I have is horrible and it will take me enormous amounts of produce to get the amount of juice i will need for a day

Comments

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

Use cheaper ingredients and buy in season. We make one juice blend using beets, carrots, celery, radishes, something green and leafy (could just be the tops of the radishes), tart green apples, a lemon, a lime and fresh ginger. The most expensive ingredients are probably the apples. I’m sure you could buy all of these ingredients in quantities enough to make at least 4 litres of juice, juicing only 1 litre per day. That would be approximately 4 small glasses that you could drink throughout the day, in addition to modest meals. I’ve never done an entire day on just juice, so I’m not sure how much you’d need, but presumably, you would be drinking lots of water too, so I think you could get by on about 2 litres of fresh juice. I’m sure if you buy in bulk, say 10 lbs of beets, 10 lbs of carrots, etc., your juice will cost far less on a per-litre basis. Some of the healthiest ingredients are the cheapest. Collards, dandelion leaves, broccoli, parsley. There’s little waste too. Use stems and leaves of veggies that you might otherwise throw away. For example, use your broccoli crowns and collard leaves in your meals, but juice the tough stems. Chop celery into sticks for dipping, but juice the hearts, leaves and not-so-pretty white bases.

Experiment with variety. In my experience, it’s best to use fruit and sweet root veggies for sweetness, along with your more pungent vegetables and green leafies. I would never drink a whole glass of radish juice or ginger juice, but they both add great depth, not to mention healthy benefits, to a sweet-tart base of beets, carrots, apples, lemons and limes. This is just one combo. Experiment to find your favourites, but don’t always make exactly the same combo. The whole point of this juicing for you is to pump a large variety of nutrients into your cells to send your recovery into high gear. You can make your own sprouts at home in jars or strainers and juice them too. If you get some trays and soil, you can grow microgreens for your salads, juices and smoothies. Remember, it doesn’t take a lot of one ingredient in each juice. You can buy a large bunch of asparagus, which might be more expensive, but only juice 3 or 4 stalks per litre. The bunch will last you up to a week of juicing. A bunch of kale or spinach can be similarly used a bit at a time. Enjoy your feasts!