Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Detox Business

Hi guys,

I’m sorry—I feel like I am asking a lot of, possibly, asinine questions. I just don’t even know any vegetarians- let alone raw vegans!

Background: I have been trying to prepare for this for a while. For about two months I ate a whole food vegan diet (i.e: brown rice, fruits, veggies). Then about two weeks ago I started eating about 90% raw (minus a couple of transition foods: lara bars, dressings, and ezekiel bread, etc.)—with intentions of going 100% by the new year.

Is it possible I am already detoxing? At only 90%, and after only two weeks?

My skin is almost unbearable. It has broken out so badly; it is embarrassing. I had one horribly emotional day last week- but that’s about it. Pretty tired at times- but that’s not really out of the ordinary. The major cause for concern is my skin. It is terrible… I have a huge trip planned for my birthday in 2 weeks, and I know it’s lame, but I don’t want to look like this…

I love this way of eating, and I intend to make it a lifestyle. Any tips or suggestions on dealing with my skin in the meantime? More fats? Less fats? Anything specifically that induces breakouts?

Any advice on this would be appreciated!

Thanks so much!!!

-carlee

Comments

• CaresCares Raw Newbie

When your body releases toxins they go to the liver for phase 1 of the liver process at this point they bind to proteins in order to go through phase 2 of the liver process. If you do not have enough protein in your diet this is when you get ‘detox symptoms’ as the toxins get stuck in phase 1 in a more toxic state than before. It is really a symptom of too little protein, so of cause not everyone will suffer ‘detox symptoms’. I always used to think ‘detox symptoms’ were normal until I started studying Naturopathy and learnt that it is actually normal to not get any and abnormal to get symptoms. When detoxing it is good to use a protein drink (raw of cause) to correct this problem.

Cares :-)

• In my view and based on my personal experience and books that I read it is absolutely normal to detox through your skin, although painful you are on your way to a better health which will be restored once your body is fully detoxed. You may want to to add fats to slow down detox, or add animal protein or add a healthy cooked ingredient/meal a day. I experience similar detox symptoms every time a go through detox and to this day I have not found any magic solution, pains are just part of the healing process. Well…obviously if you start taking drugs and eating junk it’ll all go away but you will get far from being healthy. To speed up the detox process and alleviate the skin you may want to try daily enemas. Good luck!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

rawcarlee~ This link might give you a bit of useful info: Detoxing/Cleansing/Correcting Response

Much healing to you.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I broke out two different times from detox. Once when I went raw and once after I started oil pulling. Now my skin is fabulous and it healed really really fast.

My advice, don’t use chemical products on your skin. Coconut oil and baking soda scrub is the best. Your breakout should clear up really fast so I wouldn’t worry to much. How long have you been detoxing?

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

It took me 1.5 months of mostly raw to get my energy back after detoxing but it is TOTALLY WORTH IT! I feel like I’m high on drugs I feel soo good most of the time… In 6 months I no longer crave cooked food and am maybe still detoxing a bit because in the last 1.5 months my left eye went from green to blue!! There was previously NO blue in it at all!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

detoxing is a crazy journey but like everyone else says, it is so worth it. I do tend to detox out of my skin and have had numerous weird skin things go on. They pass soon enough, the more raw you are the quicker it will pass, also massage, yoga, skin brushing and cucumber juice all help loads.

• synapsynap Raw Newbie

Carlee, I have found using a sauna helps speed up the passing of the detox process more quickly. You might consider using a far infrared sauna several minuts a day for a few sessions. usina a sauna while hydrading by drinking plenty of water seems to be great for helping the detoxing of the skin.Skin It brings blood circulation to the skin, causes the flow of sweat, and sebacious glands to extrete their fluids.

• Raw CurlsRaw Curls Raw Newbie

My detox usually comes in the form of sleepiness, sometimes I'll take 2 naps a day. That's a sure sign that my body is trying to heal as healing happens during rest and sleep.

• The sauna is a great idea.

Colon hydrotherapy might help you release toxins quicker. I read somewhere that when a person switches to an all raw or almost all raw diet, the body's cells detoxify faster than the body can eliminate the toxins. Colon hydrotherapy "flushes" ;) the toxins out quickly.

• Wheatgrass is also a natural detoxifier because it cleanses the body and "helps you go" if you get my drift.

http://www.sweetwheat.com/sweet-wheat/the-wheatgrass-detox