Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

how to sprout???

i really feel for some raw hummus…i have here a bag of dried chickpeas – from regular food store, so i was wondering how to sprout them. i put them to soak in the water but the thing is some of them kind of fell apart in half… well, will they sprout anyway?

Comments

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I completely cover my chickpeas in water and let them soak for 12 hours in a dark place. I then rinse them, cover them up with water, and soak them again for another 12 hours in darkness.(total soak time 24 hours)

Then I rinse and drain and let them sprout, rinsing them three times a day. Depending on the temperature, they are ready to eat in about three days, maybe four.

Sometimes a couple will split in half and often one half will grow a sprout. Are a lot of your chickpeas falling apart?

• thanks TomsMom! i soaked mine already for 12 hours, just rinsed them- most of them are ok- i guess thats good. some of them fell apart in halves and smaller pieces. should i take the broken pieces out or just leave them. when i sprout them won’t the bad pieces spoil and contaminate the good ones? actually, what about spoild chickpies? how do i know that i am sprouting them instead of just spoiling them :) will all chickpeas sprout or some of them i will have to discard?

• schmoopeeschmoopee Raw Newbie

Try zucchini hummus too, no sprouting chickpeas it’s fantastic! Here’s Kandace’s recipe ( I halve this recipe and use less tahini) http://goneraw.com/recipes/9-Hummus

• mmm, for sure i’ll make that zuccini hummus, sounds so good. thanks :)

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

The beans you have may not sprout. If they do, good. Tho the next time you buy garbanzos try to by the organic ones in the bulk section. These should be fresher and no bad things applied. Also, you could just soak them and forget the sprouting. I do that when I am in a hurry or the weather is extra hot. If I have bits and pieces I take them out before soaking. If you have a lot fall apart while soaking something is wrong.

By the way zucc. hummus is very good tho not as firm.

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I’ve made both types of hummus and though I liked both, I found the sprouted chickpea version a bit grittier/chalkier. I like the the consistency of the zucchini version, so I watered my chickpea version down a bit. On my next attempt, I think I will try 50% chickpeas and 50% zucchini and see if that’s the ultimate for texture and taste. My zucchini version has 2 medium-large zucchini, peeled, 1 cup raw tahini, juice of 2 large lemons, 2-3 garlic cloves, 1 TB ground cumin, 1/2 tsp sea salt and some chopped fresh flat-leaf parsly (if I have it around). The cumin is what makes it taste awesome. This is more pungent than other versions, but more similar to the ones I’ve made with cooked chickpeas, and I have to say, the raw version is as good or better. If you like heat, you can add cayenne. If not, a sprinkle of sweet paprika when you serve it is both decorative and tasty.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

ieva, I forgot to check back with you; I’m sorry!

I sort through my chickpeas before I even start to soak, removing any darkened pea. When you soak them, they should swell up a lot! If, after 12 hours, you see chickpeas that remain small and shriveled, then pick them out. I would also pick out broken bits. Any dead pea could cause fermentation or rot, so get rid of them.

I was thinking that if your chickpeas are falling to bits, then they’re probably pretty old. Organically grown chickpeas tend to be fresher, but if you have to buy non-organic, shop around until you find a good quality bean. Neighborhoods that have folks that cook a lot peas and beans will tend to sell fresher stuff. In my area, not a lot of people cook chickpeas, so they often are in crappy shape, organic or not, because they simply don’t sell.

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

I just sprouted some Hummus, soaked it for 24hours(rinsed and switched water 3 times), then left em on a sprouting tray(covered) and rinse em 3 times a day, a day after they started sprouting.

• Hi there schmoopee I tried to click on the link to get that recipe and it wont open up to it specificaly...just goes to the recipes page. Am I doing something wrong??

Ok Tomsmom...I get the soak the chickpeas part..then you rinse and what?? set them on a plate or whatever [with no water?] for a day but rinse them 3 times during that day? I know it is probably EASY once you have done it but I'm a virgin sprouter--I have been buying sprouts from Whole Foods and recently found sprouted mung beans at the Indian store not far from me.

Peace

Lo~

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Glamazon, when they upgraded the site late last year, some of the clickable links did not "translate". Usually you can do an Advanced Search and find the recipes. I had to go to Google to find this one. "Hummus" recipe by Kandace: http://goneraw.com/recipe/hummus