Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Why do people eat so many dates, cashews, dehydrated foods?

124»

Comments

• Hello...

this is for thecavsman---> If you don't mind, what is your reason/s for not eating bananas or pineapple?

Knowledge is power so any enlightenment is appreciated...thanks in advance!!

Peace & abundance

Lo~

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

For 60 years I ate the same foods. SAD, vegan and vegetarian. All about the same, just cooked differently. Think how wild it is to make pie crust out of nuts and dates! Before raw, I would say I have made about 700 pies and not one pie crust was made with nuts and dates.

Milk from nuts and seeds. WOW! No milking the cow! Crackers, muffins, breads, unmeat from nuts, seeds and veggies. How do we cook them? In the dehydrator! Not with a wood stove or in and electric oven.

Do you see what I am getting at? When you do the same thing or eat the same thing over and over, it becomes so boring. Do it for more than half a century and it is beyond boring.

Give me those delicious dates, nuts, seeds and a dehydrator, and I will be almost in heaven for the next 60 years!!! God willing.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

lo - the cavsman doesn't eat pineapple/bananas because they are hybrid fruit. Here's info on it: "http://www.rawguru.com/addiction.html"

I don't AGREE with the philosophy in the website, but you asked so i'm letting you know why. I eat hybrid fruit. Look, i eat ANYTHING as long as it's raw. Try eating only raw food for an entire year (like i just did) and then tell me you want to severely limit the TYPES of raw foods you can eat. Hah! It's just like beany was saying - eat the same types of food over and over, and it will be BORING! nuts and dates and dehydrated foods mean variety and that's the spice of life, keeps me raw!

I try to get as much non hybrid as possible, but when you buy at the store even though organic, the produce will probably be hybrid. So I grow non hybrid and when I have to shoppe at the store, I don't fret.

By the way, any one try Barji dates? Absolutely beyond yummy!

• Thanks for the info Winona :D I have so many questions it's not even funny...my head is spinning. I feel overwhelmed and haven't even really got started. Today I had a thing of blueberries, few green beans and was surprised they were pretty good LOL

I want to lose weight and hopefully reverse my aging skin. I know I caused it due to my sun-worshipping Ho days...I do so love a tan hahahha but it seems almost over night I looked down at my arms and they are my mom's arms!! Must be a mistake LOL.

I have almonds and sunflower seeds soaking in small glass jars on the table---I used poland springs water...IDK if I'm supposed to do it in fridge and not sure what Im "looking" for to tell me they are done so again any advice is appreciated.

Peace & abundance to you all

Lo~

• I like rawbryan's imput. Alot of nuts and dehydrated foods contain alot of mold

Water is key.....Read Water and Salt: Your Healers from Within :: F. Batmanghelidj and

Water: For Health, For Healing, For Life: You're Not Sick, You're Thirsty! :: F. Batmanghelidj. You will be glued:It's so interesting

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• glamazon-

the sun is actually really good for you. the problem is that when our bodies ph balance is acidic and/or dehydrated it has a bad reaction to the sun; wrinkles, burns, spots, etc. if your body has the right ph balance (which is neutral but slightly alkaline) and hydrated you won't have any bad reactions. instead you'll get vitamin d and have a healthy glow.

Cashews have been making me slightly sick. I to am using other nuts, seeds and grains.

Stevia- www.johnnyseed.com has seeds to plant. 4-5 plants should be enough usable leaves for a year. That is for one person.

• Hello everyody...wow so nice to read everyone's comments and info.

Kellyinfncolo when I was younger I was outside all the time...I was dark as a leather hand bag and I loved it!! Now at forty I def see the damage of it...not to mention I did the dreaded fake bakes---INDOOR TANNING horrible. But I am definitely hoping to get into the swing of the RAW lifestyle and if possible reverse some of the damage...freckles bigger ones i guess they are called liver spots---I just call the ugh mugs LOL plus I did the stupid Atkins diet which did help me lose weight but I think that along with the pain from my back surgeries has really aged me. I gotta get my skin looking better...and I want to feel better all the way around, mentally, physically emotionally and of course spiritually.

I'm not really used to this site...I was thinking any post I put would automatically show up on my home page...sadly no so I can't remember which ones I have commented on or asked for info about hahahaha so I'm thinking I will start a new blog...lots of questions and would love it if you all would share you thoughts advice and info there with me.

Peace & abundance

Lo~

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

glamazon - if you go to your profile (by clicking on your name on the top right of the home page), then you can click "track" & it will pull up all the discussions you have posted on.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Glamazon, check out this thread for some tips on using the site features.

• I have to tell you all that I have had communication with bryan via Emails and such...he truly is an informative and caring dude! I get the fact that some felt he was hard-selling but let's face it...anytime anyone has found something life changing we get excited and want to share that with any and everyone that will listen. I know you have all known a born-again Christian no?? Don't let his enthusiasm turn you off. He really is about getting this lifestyle more main stream. Opening people's eyes to a better healthier way is really the whole purpose of this site isn't it?

I'm thankful for all of you and all your knowledge and personal experiences. I enjoy coming on here and browsing the various forums and throwing in my two cents. I should hope I don't offend but if I do...let me know because that is never my intention nor do i think it was Bryan's. I'm sad he isn't here. I have told him he is missed and that he should stop by every now and again. Let's all lift each other higher and know that we are all individuals with different ways of communicating. Let's not immediately assume anyone is out to do anything negative. Live and let live.

Peace

Lo~

• You will prob need to contact him via his email it is in on one of his comments in this thread...don't think he comes on this site anymore due to drama. He is very willing to share info and very knowledgeable.

GL!

• It's not his enthusiasm that is off putting so much as his holier than thou attitude...and if he says he doesn't have that attitude, I'd just like to say RawBryan, do you beleive you are better than everyone who does not eat raw? The answer is YES he really and TRULLY beleive he is better. He feels better, his body is in better condition, he's all love light smiles energy, etc etc etc. And truth is, he came on here and had the same attitude with the newly raw. 'Why do all of you people think you're doing so well eating raw, when really you're just filling your bodies with toxins and eating the enemy: sugar?" That's kind of a rhetorical question. I don't think he really wanted to know *why*. He just wanted to call attention to the fact that we're all doing it 'wrong.'

Well RawBryan, congratulations that you don't eat cashews and agave and dates. Good for you. I'm happy for you. But a lot of people here are just transitioning from SAD, and that stuff is a necessary step. If you're expecting someone to go from SAD to Rainbow Live Food, it's going to be a tough transition, and unless they're in Patagonia with Dr. Gabriel himself, it is very unlikely that such a diet will have them sticking to raw food long term. Not everyone has been doing this 10+ years like you. When you first started out, I bet you ate cashews and dates and agave and maybe even dehydrated food.

I've seen a lot of people try and fail this diet. The failure always comes for a few common reasons: the food and the lifestyle aren't congruent with the person's family and life (and no matter how you try to deny it, there are social connotations to food; it is a time honored bonding tool), they try to do too much at once, they get very black and white about raw food right away, trying to drink only pure ionized water and not using plastic anymore in their home and all this stuff that in the end, proves unrealistic and undoable, at least at first, and lastly, because their palettes just don't find raw food satisfying yet! Maybe you can eat a Rainbow Live Food Diet, but someone else is going to have emotional and physical withdrawls to food they've grown up with, and food they've had a very close connection with all of their lives. When you study cultural anthropology, you will see that one of the defining features of a people is their food. Food is important on so many more levels than nutrition. It's a transition!

All I'm saying is, I know you're trying to 'open people's eyes' to the evils of agave and cashews and their toxins and how bad they are, but people don't need any more black and white on here. Truth is, we live in a toxic world. Even organic farms have fallout rain from nearby cities and highways. In fact, the act of living causes free radical damage; there's no way around it. I would LOVE to live in a yurt, carry my own water, grow my own food and live off of live food and sunshine. I'm not being sarcastic. I really would love to run away and do that. And maybe one day I will, but for now, I'm married to my husband, and I live in Chicago and I'm entrenched in the culture of the Dead as Gabriel puts it; most people are in the same position. Please be understanding of that. We're doing the best we can with what we have and with what and who we live with.

Perhaps your posts would be less offensive if you were to entitle it 'cashews, agave and dehydrated foods' and make an informative post on what you disagree with about them, instead of asking 'why do all of you people eat cashews agave and dehydrated foods all the time? Cause I don't! I eat REAL raw food...I know you all think you are starting to get this raw food thing down, but you AREN'T! Mwa hahaha!" Okay, maybe it wasn't quite that severe, but you get my point ;-)

Also, the cooked peas thing...'wow, how funny is it that this man was so stupid he thought canned peas were raw! We're so superior! It's so funny!" Look, that kid didn't know. A lot of us didn't know at first, either. I remember a couple of years ago watching Bunny's video on Raw Fu, and she was putting canned coconut milk into her supposedly raw smoothie! I didn't laugh at her and think 'wow, what an idiot!' I just kindly made a comment on her post that young coconuts are a better choice and gave a few reasons why.

Anyway, this post is long enougha s it is. I love Gabriel and his work,. and I'm sure I'd love your work too, but please realize that is a refinement for most people and not a beginning? I mean sure some people will take to it right away, especially those with terminal illnesses, but as for the every day person, it is sometimes better to make smaller steps and be realistic than to jump in head first.

• Oh...he's gone.

Well, anyway..! lol sorry...

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Glamazon, I don

• Oh lord I didn't even notice that LOL! I am so naive hahahaha

Well edamame3 I'm glad you got that off your chest LOL!! I just think Bryan came off differently then he intended to to ALOT of people here. Like others have said...problem with this online communication is that there is no facial expression or tone...it's just black and white matter of fact words. Depending on the readers mood can be taken any which way. I have corresponded with him on his reg Email...he seems genuine and caring. Yesss he is hyped about raw food lifestyle which is great!! He does want to help in anyway he can.

I slammed him initially becoz I only parts of the thread and saw him saying dehydrating isn't good yet his site he advertises them so i was all confused and thot wow this dude is a hypocrite BUT I went back and read all his other comments and I did contact him. In my opinion he is not all for alot of dehydrating or excessive use of agave, cashews, and dates BUT he does use them occasionally. He mentioned that he knows that others use them and since there is a demand for said items he does offer them at the best prices to people. Yes he makes his living doing raw...but at least i think he thinks he is providing the best quality and prices. I can't knock him for that.

I really hope this next part is NOT taken in the wrong way but here goes... Bryan is asian...nothing against that but reality is they do speak differently. My husband is Bengali sometimes he says stuff and I'm almost dumbfounded. Then we discuss it and what he meant was not what was conveyed and his logic is just different all the way around. Think I'm more inclined to be moved by words...to feel something. He is more this is this and that is that almost without any type of attachment...am i making sense?? Ok anyway regardless I think Bryan is a nice person overall.

I think Bunny is adorable. She seems like the sweetest person. Look we all are trying to better our lives. We all have to do this the way we can manage. There is always gonna be people who know more or have experienced more and different stuff. I'm thankful for any advice sent my way. I take what I can use and don't use what does not help me personally. Live and let live. I love you guys on this site. I love the sharing and ultimately the true sense of caring about one another and most have not even met the other in 3D. It's just a nice comfy site and I'm thankful for it and you!!

Peace & abundance

Lo~

• Rawbryan; meh, when I first saw the thread I was like 'this guy freaking embodies everything I dislike about the raw community in one post!' So I went off a little. I don't think I misinterpreted him, and I don't think he meant something different; I think he actually thinks he is better than, and as I said, this in many ways is true. Of course after all those refinements to the diet one will be 'better.' But I also see the bourgoning of orthorexia in a lot of people, which is a new eating disorder where people don't worry about the quantity of their food so much as the quality. They worry about it to the extent that it starts interfering with their lives, and they judge themselves and others.

If you're saying he's not judging, he is; I'm not saying that's bad. He has people's best interest in mind. The problem is, people who do that a lot of times don't have a basic understanding of Behavior Modification 101, and they end up not producing the change they're trying to.

• rawbryan i don't resent you for trying to sell stuff. i myself want to some day open up my own raw deli and create a line of raw beauty products. there's nothing wrong with trying to make a living doing something you love. a lot of people are new to being raw, and don't understand the lifestyle in it's full spectrum. i agree that there are many recipes on here that conflict with elements of food combing, proper digestion, irritant-free flavoring methods, and avoiding unhealthy ingredients like salt, oxylic acid, vinegar, and other fermented products. but everyone is at different levels of commitment and knowledge. you just have to sift through and find what works for you while trying too enlighten others of what you've learned so far. that's why i really love this site. i've learned so much from it already, and i feel a real sense of community. i myself have in fact read every single recipe in this database, and found enough recipes that are truly raw to still enjoy the benefits of this network. the others i just disregard or add potentially useful comments that sometimes include possible healthier substitutions. i'm also interested in your book, and will probably buy it when i scrape together enough spare cash.

• so I thought about it and came up with this one! One other roommate asked if I had a

• Isn't that a bit of a conundrum, "I'd rather work a "productive" job that helps others". Hmmm. But not one I presume that utilizes one of your areas of expertise, i.e. health? So you have to refuse that which you might be good at, in the event of someone trying to pay you?

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I wish I could make my living off of doing raw lifestyle things....unfortunately I'm stuck in this office.

I don't care for any nuts, beans, grains, etc but I enjoy dates every once in a while.

• Rawbryan,

I've been on the raw diet for about 4 months and feel great! I've always been EXTREMELY active, exercising 4-5 days a week. I noticed that you are slightly overweight. Could this be from all the nuts that you consume or is it from lack of exercise? I am just curious... Not all raw foodies that I meet are in the best shape.

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

Cathygirl.... bryan's not here anymore - if you read this thread, you can see why (unfortunately). What I can tell you is that for me, having some extra weight is not because of what i eat or what i don't eat, it's because of my body makeup. Recently I found out that I have Adrenal Fatigue and that's why my body retains weight. I'm doing what i can to correct it, but my "extra weight" is definitely not because of my food intake (or lack thereof). Everyone is just made differently. Some people who eat from the worst SAD diets are extremely thin - to the point that they look anorexic... even though they clearly are not. I've been raw for about 2.5 years now and still have only lost about 20 of the 40 pounds that i need to lose. Hopefully as my body adjusts and heals from the Adrenal Fatigue, the other 20 will disappear as well. I think the key also, is to changing your diet - don't keep eating the same things over and over and over.... variety is key in any diet. I hope that helps! Sounds like you are doing a great job!!!