Is is risky to eat raw mushrooms?

I recently bought pre-sliced baby bella mushrooms and made a raw soup. I did not clean the mushrooms before, as they were sliced and would soak up a lot of water if rinsed. The raw mushroom soup was delish, but about 5 spoons into it I got nauseous and lost my appetite (this never happens). I felt grossed out thinking of what germs must have been all over those mushrooms. The rest of the day I had an increasing headache. Where I have enjoyed cooked mushrooms for many years, I am new to raw and do not know how mushrooms should be handled if one does not intend to cook them. What is safe?


  • I just wipe them with a damp paper towel. You’re never supposed to rinse mushrooms or they soak up water like a sponge. Yes I was a food network addict

  • SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

    Agree with randommara – they don’t need to be washed, and they don’t need to be cooked.

    However, with some of the news lately about contaminated spinach, tomatoes, etc. (thank you, big agribusiness) it’s still possible that there was something wrong with them. In this case, washing wouldn’t have mattered, you’d still get sick.

    Maybe keep an ear out for any recalls in the near future?

  • ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

    if you bought pre slices mushrooms they were most likely washed anyway because they don’t expect people to wash them once they’re sliced. Maybe you were sick because of something else that was in the soup? Or maybe your body just doesn’t want mushrooms? I wouldn’t buy pre sliced vegetables, I prefer to buy organic if possible and I don’t wash any organic food I buy, just the non organic stuff.

  • What a horrible thing to happen to you! What is the problem, really, with the mushrooms soaking up water? I rinse mine in filtered water to get the visible dirt off and eat them up.

    I hope you are feeling better.

    Maybe your body does not want mushrooms, maybe it was a one time thing, who knows. I hope you can enjoy mushrooms in the future, but if not they are only one small thing and you can live without them :)

Sign In or Register to comment.