Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream

I love the chocolate cherry ice cream recipe. I'm making it for Thanksgiving. But I wonder if anyone has made this dessert in an ice cream freezer? Is it cremier than just freezing it?

Comments

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Hi Pam~

Long time no see... Good to see you back posting... Any fun adventures lately? Guys with cool apts? Or who give you "special" drinks? lol

I haven't tried the recipe. However, I saw an interesting way to make ice cream without an ice cream machine... simple make the recipe as directed. Then, with a mixer (like a kitchen aide, add some dry ice to the mixture. Blend away. It freezes the mixture while the mixer keeps it creamy... It takes about 3-4 minutes to become frozen enough to eat. Brilliant! Here's a funny demo stirring with only a fork using dry ice: http://video.aol.com/video-detail/how-to-make-instant-dry-ice-cream/2294245279. Just handle the dry ice with gloves... if the dry ice touches skin, the skin will burn badly (and painful!).

Happy ice creaming. :)

• FeeFee Raw Master

One of our chemistry teachers makes ice cream with dry ice as a demonstration! Its amazing.

I havent made the recipe (with or without an ice cream maker) but I would guess it might be smoother as the constant motion during freezing prevents large ice crystals from forming which can happen in the frezer.

Sorry I cant be more help.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

What a coincidence, I just made it yesterday! It's very very good. I just ground a frozen banana with frozen cherries, chocolate, and nut butter, I didn't bother freezing it because the fruit was already frozen. ? The recipe didn't say you had to freeze it. But if you wanted to use an ice cream maker it definitely would be thicker and creamier. I like it straight out of the blender best though.

• PamPam

Hi Bluedolphin... No, there are no interesting guys, great condos or otherwise! I took a looong break from raw due to some nagging health issues. But I'm back to try again after a 30 day(!) cleanse. I really want to do this. I love the food and the benefits. Three has a be a charm, right?

As for the ice cream guys, you see, I made the recipe many times before. It's really delicious. I have eaten it as is, and also frozen it for later consumption. I'm just wondering if it becomes more scoopable when you use an ice cream freezer. I have an ice cream freezer so I guess I'll give it a try. It's for Thanksgiving dinner so I didn't want to mess up the recipe, somehow. I also wanted to make it in advance because even though it's an easy recipe, I don't like taking time out to do it with a guest.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Pam

• steviostevio Raw Newbie

I hope it worked for you, but in the future, if you know someone at a university, you might try making it with liquid nitrogen. It is said to make a smoother and creamier frozen desert because it allows smaller crystals to form. I am planning on doing this this 4th of july.

• PamPam

I hadn't made this is a long time. Not sure what I was thinking but it's very creamy even after being frozen without an ice cream freezer. It's scoopable, too, after removing from the freezer and allowing to sit on the counter for 10 minutes. No freezer or liquid nitrogen necessary!

Liquid nitrogen? Really?? It that... safe, Stevio? Actually maybe I mean sane? Is it sane? LOL... ! Sounds like a mad scientist experiment!

I added about 1/3 to 1/2 cup chia seed gel to the double recipe, too. Didn't change the taste though the seeds would probably go better with strawberries rather than cherries.