Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

raw agave nectar?? health fraud??? fructose not Levulose

2»

Comments

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

There is a farm near where I live that sells raw honey. It turns sugary with in a couple weeks but I enjoy it. I also occasionally use agave, maple syrup and date sugar. I'm not always 100% and I don't mind using agave much but I rarely eat sweet stuff since I eat so much fruit so it hasn't been a problem. The bottle I have will expire before I finish no doubt.

• Raw_OrleansRaw_Orleans Raw Newbie

I hear a lot of good thing about Yacon Syrup... Any Thoughts?? I Think it has like Half the Calories of Honey... Not That I count Calories or anything... I'v always been a Very Athletic Type and I Don't worry about weight gain... I work it off very quickly...

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Yacon is awesome but it does have a noticeable flavor (molasses, and honey put together) so it depends on the recipe..otherwise I love it.

• Hi All. Just checked out the www.madhavasagave.com site. And they had some interesting info that people who are panicing about whether to use or not use agave nectar. I personal use and trust this brand and so does my mother who is diabetic. No problems for us,I believe you have to listen to what your own body is telling you(not everyone can eat some things). I personally found that kiwis which I know are suppose to be good for us is NOT good for me( throat itches and burns),so I think if you use even too much of anything such as sweetners or any kind of good foods it can give you a bad effect.

• I've heard that people who have kidney problems shouldn't use Stevia because of the way that it is broken down in the body

• Raw CurlsRaw Curls Raw Newbie

I do buy my agave by the gallon as it lasts such a long time. Thing is, I don't use mass quantities of it. I'm not trying to justify using it, but when I do use it in a recipe, I'm not doing it for health, it's usually to satisfy my taste buds. So for the occasional use, it doesn't bother me at all.

Maybe Bryan is using it so much that is why all the caps and yelling on here. I'm sure any extracted sugar not from a whole food is going to get someone unnaturally excited.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I DO use massive quantities of agave (about a gallon per month for my son & me), and I feel no need to justify it. It works for us, except when it doesn't, and then I eat other things. :)

• This from a guy who believes there's a such thing as truly raw agave nectar? Your definition of raw must be as unique to yourself as it is to agave ;-0 : Agave nectar simply doesn't exist without heat applied..it's cooked, & cooked ain't raw. Accusing -others- of not doing their research is -not- the same thing as doing -your- research, which you obviously have -not- done. You inadvertently made -one- correct point: Cooking your food -will- lower the mycotoxin content; but don't call it raw.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Here's an article I wrote about raw sweeteners, if anyone's interested:

Are Raw Sweeteners Really Raw and Healthy?

http://www.fitonraw.com/2010/02/raw-sweeteners-raw-and-healthy/

Swayze