Mixing fruits and veggies in smoothies

I have read that it is better for your digestion to eat fruits separately because they digest fast. But I notice that many smoothie recipes mix fruits and veggies together. I had a lettuce strawberry smoothie yesterday and it was delicious but it gave me such horrible gas for hours.

That obviously must not happen to you guys or you wouldn't give out the recipes. Is it just because I'm a beginner?

Dr Douglas's theory on diabetes is that sugars and fats together cause it. So that means no fat with my fruit either.

I'm having a hard time enjoying veggie smoothies without something sweet in them.

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I add 4 dates to a full blender of greens... Along with cayenne for some heat in this cold weather...

Hope you find this helpful... smile

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

Waterbaby -you add just the dates and pepper to the greens?

I'm guessing you add plenty of water then so it blends. down, right???

Hmmm, this might be something to try. Not a big sweets fan all the time, but a few dates plus greens could work. Lol, and I add chili peppers or ginger to many recipes this time of year for warmth!

• In the book of Alissa you find some combining rules. Indeed you can't mix anything. Greens go together only with acid fruit ( blackberries, lime, kiwi pineapple). You better not mix it with sweet food or veggies with fruit.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I think leafy greens go together with any fruit or any vegetable... but not fruit & vegetables together with greens.

Leafy greens are not starchy. And, it's my understanding that the starchy foods mixed with the (sweet) fruits that cause gas.