Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Is goat cheese made from raw milk really raw?

I love a raw goat cheese from Holland that I get at Trader Joes. Do they do anything with it during the cheese-making process that would make it no longer raw?

Then it's not vegan though, is it?

Is goat cheese still bad for you even if it's raw?

Thanks a lot

Pam

Comments

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

It's raw as in unpasteurized so it is better for you than regular cheese, so if you are not raw vegan go for it. I am more raw vegetarian so I eat it sometimes. I still try to avoid dairy as much as possible, but it's a huge weakness. It keeps more enzymes intact though since it's not pasteurized. There are also many other raw cheeses out there you could try.

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I think in this case it depends on where you are yourself, and what you beleive in and eat.

For me, I have NO issue eating small amounts of raw dairy because it is one thing I do well on and the milk always helps with my GI issues. I have tried the goats cheese from Traders Joes and do fine with it, but I prefer the stuff I get from local farm(both goat and cow but both raw milk/cheese)..mainly because it's fresher and tastes better. Then again I'm not vegetarian, and my body does better with dairy than almost any grain product!!

• rawgypsy7rawgypsy7 Raw Newbie

I agree completely.

I have tested the waters with different kinds of cheese since i've been raw. Goat and sheep cheeses feel the best in my system, raw cheese is just heavenly and it's a treat i seem to be indulging in more and more now that i'm freezing my ass off in the Northwest. Grain products really mess me up.

I don't think there is anything "bad for you" about goat cheese, except for maybe the vegan tenet that animal milk just doesn't belong in the human body to begin with. That would make it "bad" i guess. My opinion of dairy products seems to be changing, and i'm not sure exactly what it's evolving into, other than a "listen to my body" approach to life. Lately, my body has been asking me to buy that Pastures of Eden sheep's milk feta cheese from Trader Joe's. Not raw, not vegan, but it's about the best feta i've ever had. I foresee a Master Cleanse at the equinox to start over raw vegan for the spring and summer. I've been on shaky ground since Thanksgiving...

• Thank you all. I will get some more cheese now. I had thrown it out but I really miss it.

• Just as long as the ingredient list says unpasturized, or raw milk from sheep, goat, or cow. If you have a whole foods near you, they carry a wide variety of raw cheeses - my favorite is a white cheddar that they have. MMm... :)

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I love raw milk cheeses. It is the one dairy food that there is no substitute for. Vegan cheese tastes like crap.

• I second that meditating ~ it tastes like really gross crap!

• I actually like Follow Your Heart Vegan cheese. Non-vegan non-dairy cheese I liked a LOT was Soya-Kaas mozerella. I could eat that stuff straight.

My digestive system actually does okay with raw cheeses as opposed to pastuerized cheeses. I hate that I love cheese. I never keep it in my home because I will just eat the whole block of it in one sitting.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

yea vegan cheese is like crap, lol. i had a hard time giving up milk raw cheese too.

• Pirawna~ Where did you find non-vegan non-dairy cheese?? is it raw? I would love to eat non-dairy cheese..

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

The Soya-Kaas that pirawna mentioned is not raw. My system likes raw goat milk cheese much better than Soya-Kaas or any other storebought cheese, dairy or not.

• Pirawna, I hear ya on the block of cheese. I can take cheese and apples and just eat slices of them both until i fall over in a food coma. They still get me sometimes at the grocery store if they have samples of raw dairy cheese. I will taste it because I miss cheese so much. I try to walk on the other side of the store, lol.

Dairy doesn't bother my digestion but it makes me terrible congested, like a head cold, blech.

However, I have been making seed and nut cheeses lately to help transition the very willing BF to a more wholefood/raw/vegetarian/vegan/less-meat/healthy/solar powered diet.

I made sunflower/walnut/onion cheese the other day and it hardened up and tasted just like cream cheese schmear, but it was sort of purple from the walnuts. hehe. purple cheese. He loves the stuff. i gave him and his father a taste on flax crackers and they were duly impressed with my raw vegan cheese cred :)

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Ooh, I need to make some seed/nut cheese. :)

• internettouristinternettourist Raw Newbie

It's meant for baby goats. Consumed in any notable quantity it's sure to give you lovely cellulite.

The China Study talks about dairy consumption.