Receding Gumline & Invisalign Braces

germin8germin8 Raw Master

I read a post from pianisima http://goneraw.com/node/18425 about the possible cause of receding gumlines could be brushing your teeth right after you eat because you will be brushing the acids on your teeth. Well, Invisalign braces (the "invisible" braces) requires you wear the braces for 22 hours a day minimum. This leaves little time for eating, waiting for those acids in your teeth to neutralize, and brushing before putting the braces back on. Some one else posted this website http://www.rawguru.com/dougteeth.html and it says to swish with salt water before brushing to help neutralize the acids.

So... basically, my husband wears Invisalign and has seen receding gums around one tooth. We are keeping an eye on it... not to mention, eating less fruits now... but if someone can can give advice... we're all 'ears'.

Rawmama http://goneraw.com/node/4607 had a recipe, but I was hoping more for a technique or list of foods to eat/avoid.

I'm going to have him try oil pulling... if I can get Whole Foods to stock first cold-pressed organic sesame seed oil! Anyone know where I can order some online? Rapunzel.com doesn't take orders online... yet.

Comments

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

It is my understanding that the #1 cause of a receding gumline is periodontal disease. Keeping your mouth cleans is going to be very important.

I have been reading for sometime about oil-pulling, which I dismissed as a bunch of crap because the allegations made by its supporters could easily be checked with a microscope but there are no studies to show that this has ever been done.

I have recently found two studies on the effects of oil-pulling on dental hygiene. Both studies found benefits to dental hygiene during the study such as a drop in gum inflammation, plaque and oral microbes. Interestingly enough, neither test did an evaluation of the pulled oil to detect for the presence of increased toxins, which is claimed by oil pulling proponents.

Given this new information, I think it is a legitimate treatment for the improvement of dental hygiene.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Meditating, thank you for your logical, analytical, and research -way of thinking. :o)

We're going to try oil pulling... once I find it!

More ideas.... thoughts welcome.

Obviously flossing will help too.

One thing I want to mention about cleaning your teeth. For 7 years, I had my teeth cleaned at the same dentist's office twice yearly, yet my teeth often felt loose in my head and I had pain between cleanings. I was having my teeth cleaned regularly so I thought I was doing everything I was suppose to.

I moved to a new city and found a new dentist, On my first visit, he told me I needed 7 teeth pulled. Holy @#$%! I could not believe it. The hygienist had not been cleaning my teeth properly all those years and I had dark brown plaque under my gumline.

I went to a periodontist who pulled one back tooth and resolved everything else with a deep scaling - a super cleaning which was painful for days afterward.

I only have my teeth cleaned now by a hygienist employed by a periodontist. The doctor has much higher standards when evaluating a cleaning and their techs are much better trained. You may want to consider doing the same. It costs about $10 more.

Finally, ater you oil pull and brush your teeth, you may want to consider rinsing your mouth with hydrogen peroxide. It bubbles so it is a pain. However, it is cheap and does a really good job decreasing bacteria in the mouth. It is only hydrogen and oxygen so it isn't like using some chemical-laden product. After I gargle with Hydrogen Peroxide, I gargle with a mouthwash made by Jason called Healthy Mouth. It has tea tree, cinnamon and clove oil in it. Clove oil has been used since ancient times for gum issues.

Since I started this regime (oil pulling, brushing, hydrogen peroxide, Healthy Mouth), I have been able to cut back on my dental cleanings from every 4 months to now 6 months like everyone else. Eating less meat has helped too not from a nutritional standpoint but vegetation does not get stuck between your teeth like meat does. I brush, floss, hydrogen peroxide, and use Healthy Mouth at night.

My mouth was a mess at one time but all is well now.

I hope you have success reversing your situation.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Thank you so much. Yes, receding gums are due to periodontitis. He didn't see a dentist for years... or a doctor! But, now that we're married... :o) ...well, he's getting check-ups more often! Not only that, we get a "discount" from our employer. He's also taking care of his teeth more than me!

I wonder how safe hydrogen peroxide is. You mentioned it is not chemical-laden and I agree... but, when is it 'unsafe'. Guess I should google that!

I'm going to look for Jason's Healthy Mouth and try what you are recommending. My husband does get a cleaning every 4 months... from the dentist herself. ...not a hygenist. And, he's seeing a periodontist soon. I hope we can get him to clean his teeth once every 6 months like you! Awesome.

I noticed you brush, floss, use hydrogen peroxide and Healthy Mouth nightly. Do you oil pull daily? Is the hydrogen peroxide diluted?

I started oil pulling first thing in the morning.

Some people dilute hydrogen peroxide so it is less foamy. I usually don't.

Hydrogen peroxide is water with an extra oxygen molecule (H2O2), The second oxygen molecule breaks off and the action causes matter near it to be mobilized. Put it on a wound and as it bubbles it will raise dirt up out of the wound, Same thing happens when it is near plaque. Also, the high oxygen content makes it difficult for microbes to survive. You can leave the lid off a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and drink it the next day. It will be water (H2O) as the second oxygen molecules will have broken off.