Hello to Everyone!

Greetings from a long-time lurker! I finally decided to jump back in to raw foods, so here I am!

I've been a vegan for eight years now, and was introduced to raw foods six years ago by my then-boyfriend, now-husband. We were in a long distance relationship at the time, and he copied a bunch of articles and information on raw foods and mailed it to me as something I should read. I did, but I can't say I was really convinced or into it at the time. I wasn't ready to make the change. My husband learned about raw foods when his mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. She decided not to pursue conventional medical treatment, choosing instead to embrace the raw lifestyle. A bit controversial for many, sure, but she's still alive and kicking!

About four years ago, my husband decided he wanted to try raw foods again. I agreed to do it to support him, but again, I wasn't really into it at the time. I equated raw foods with being hungry all the time (a cold, empty feeling in my stomach) and I missed the comfort of warm, cooked food. We obtained a juicer and a dehydrator, but after awhile, these were put away and forgotten about.

Until now! This past summer I read Brendan Brazier's "The Thrive Diet" and it all just clicked for me! Wow! My eyes were opened in a way they hadn't been before. I think the difference is that this time I was more receptive to the information. Even reading the book I started to feel more appetized by fruits and vegetables than by overly processed, cooked food. The siren call of chocolate fell on deaf ears! I changed my diet to include a smoothie in the morning and a BIG salad with homemade raw dressing for dinner. After just two weeks of this, I noticed my clothes were fitting better and my energy was up. The only negative symptoms I had were that I developed a horrible rash on my chest and face. Detox, anyone? Then, I become violently ill with what I think was the stomach flu. I didn't eat anything for three days, and when I finally did again, I resumed my old eating habits instead of going back to raw like I should have.

This was a temporary set back, yes, but now, after doing more research on wonderful sites like Gone Raw, I am, for the first time, wholeheartedly committed to transitioning to raw foods. Today is Day 7 of my journey, and so far, so good! I am feeling great physically and emotionally. I've been eating raw fruits, veggies, nuts, and seeds during the day--keeping it really simple--and adding juices and smoothies in the morning or at night. For dinner, I'll have a little bit of cooked food.

Last night I dusted off and cleaned up the dehydrator. When my husband saw it out of its cupboard, he said, "Oh, yeah! Remember when I made the dried onions? Oooh, that was good!" How could I forget?! The apartment reeked of onions for three days straight! Your eyes would water as soon as you walked in the door! Needless to say, I won't be dehydrating onions in mass quantities. We probably still have some jars full of them sitting around somewhere! lol

Anyway...hello to everyone! :D I look forward to learning, sharing, and getting to know all you wonderful raw foodies!

Comments

• Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm :)

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Welcome Wonderlust!!! Thank you for your interesting story... I feel you will make an awesome addition to our community!!! Good Luck to you on this marvelous journey!!!

ps you may want to try my marinaded sunfried onion rings..... Oh my goodness they are wonderful!!!