The hardest thing is ripening fruit

I was pleased with myself yesterday when I came to the end of my second week raw with very little food left. I thought that was such good planning. Wrong!!

None of the fruit I bought today was ripe so now I'm up a tree for the next few days fruit.

I'll have to go to the supermarket and see what they have and I hate to go there. I buy everything I can at the Farmer's Market.

So I guess to be safe I will buy a more than a week's fruit each week.

I was looking for a fruit ripener bowl like I had back in the day and they don't seem to be available now. I think any bowl with a lid would do. I can't remember if it had holes in it or not.

Comments

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Found the following information on the web. I'm pretty sure there's a thread on here that talks about ripening fruit, but I can't find it right now.

"If your fruit is not ripe and ready to eat and you want to hasten the ripening process, it's really easy to do. Just place the fruit (peaches, plums, nectarines or kiwifruit) in a paper bag out of direct sunlight and at room temperature. (Be sure to keep the bag and its contents dry.) Fold the top of the bag over so it's closed. If you want to speed up the process, just place an apple or a banana inside the bag with the other fruit. Be sure to check the fruit daily to be sure to not over-ripen. The natural ethylene produced by the fruit inside this bag will cause the fruit to ripen faster than by just setting it on a counter or leaving it in your refrigerator. You can tell that the fruit is ripe if it yields to gentle palm pressure. Once the fruit is ripe you can place it in your refrigerator. Tree fruit will keep a few days longer in your refrigerator after it has been ripened and kiwifruit can be refrigerated for a week or more after it has ripened." (http://www.calharvest.com/ripen.html)

You also might consider shopping a day or two before all your fruit is gone. This way your newer purchases have time to ripen before you are ready to consume them.

• Thank you, emtpdmom. I do that with kiwis already so I will add the other fruit. I thought a few nice fruit ripener bowls would look a bit better in my kitchen than a bunch of brown bags ;-) Oh, well!

Yes, I will get a bunch more stuff mid-week. I had hoped to just shop once a week like before raw but I can see that is not practical for fruit.

I read a guy's report somewhere about ripening bananas until they are just all over brown. There were pictures of boxes of bananas on his stairs and I could imagine the swarm of fruit flies if I tried to do that. I really don't like those little beggars.

• I too have been looking for a fruit ripening bowl with a lid and I did not find one but I did buy a salad on ice bowl that works great and it look nice on my kitchen table too. Previously I used a cheese and crackers dome with no problem too, but the salad on ice bowl just looks better here is a link it is a little bit over 20 dollars and it is also sold at linen and things http://www.kitchenemporium.com/cgi-bin/kitchen/prod/29prab3d.html