Obama Picks Vilsak For Secretary of Agriculture: The Worst Candidate For The Job.

MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

Vilsak is a strong proponent of alternative corn biofuels, which are less energy efficient and release more carbon than more fossil fuels when you take into account the refinement process.

Vilsak worked with Monsanto and the GMO industry to have biofuels omitted from the FTCs Guide For The Use Of Environmental Marketing Claims. This resulted in the biofuel industry being able to secure the support of environmentally minded citizens by duping them into believing biofuels slowed global warming while the truth is they accelerate global warming.

The practice of substituting biofuel GMO corn for food crops will continue to force up food prices, leading to more food shortages which will starve the poor to death in many countries.

As governor of Iowa, Vilsake founded and headed the state governors group on biotechnology. The nation's biggest biotechnology industry group, the Biotechnology Industry Organization, named Vilsack Governor of the Year.

Vilsak has been publicly criticized for his chummy relationship with Monsanto, which is evidenced by his consistent use of Monsanto private jets for his personal and political travels.

Vilsak is also a supporter of the newly FDA approved GMO pharmaceutical crops, especially pharmaceutical corn which, due to its long distance pollination, could easily infect other plants.

Vilsack was the origin of the seed pre-emption bill in 2005, which many people in Iowa fought because it took away local government's possibility of EVER having a regulation on seeds, such as where GMO would be grown, having GMO-free buffers, banning pharma corn locally, etc.

When Vilsack created the Iowa Values Fund, his first poster child of economic development potential was Trans Ova and their pursuit of cloning dairy cows.

The public announcement is suppose to be tomorrow. I don't think it will stop the appointment, but I hope you will consider signing this petition.

http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/642/petition.jsp?petition_KEY=1751

If enough people express concern, it may rein Vilsak in a little. Remember, Obama and Vilsak are both politicians, which means they will probably look out after themselves before they look out for any of us. Our only hope of thwarting Vilsak's "values," which are now evidence of Obama's values, is to make them fear us more than the biotech firms.

Comments

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

I just clicked on it and it said he is no longer being considered. I would like to add though that I went on Obamas site where you can tell him opnions etc and add in bills you would like to see passed and add your number to others ideas if you like them I think it is change.gov anyhow I went on there and proposed he not elect anyone to secretary of agriculture that believes in the GMO industry and cited many reasons why we should further examine this industry which is causing serious allergies and many problems too many to list. I hope and meditate daily on a world where organic is the norm and pharma is not societies idol and we are truly free living in harmony with the earth.

With all that is going on every day we all must do what we can to stay sane and make waves.

Thanks for posting this I have always appreciated your messages on this site.

Peace Light and Love

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

"Obama will name Vilsack to top ag post"

DesMoines Register - December 17, 2008

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20081217/NEWS09/812170370/1001/NEWS

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

The link has been fixed for one that still works and thanks for your interest.

Since the original post, I also discovered that Vislak announced after the election that he would not accept the post. Here is an article: http://obamafoodorama.blogspot.com/2008/11/tom-vilsack-claims-he-will-not-be.html

Vislak's name was originally proposed by the Republicans as the best candidate for the job and opposition groups started petitions but many were withdrawn based on Vislak's statement. As a result, Obama can now claim that there was no groundswell of objections to his appointment.

Attached is one of the withdrawn petitions, where the blue box shows the petition was withdrawn after Vislak's announcement. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/no-to-former-iowa-governor-tom-vilsack-to-usda

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

PLEASE sign petition. The URL Meditating provided now links up to an active petition from the Organic Consumers Association. As Meditating said:

If enough people express concern, it may rein Vilsak in a little. Remember, Obama and Vilsak are both politicians, which means they will probably look out after themselves before they look out for any of us. Our only hope of thwarting Vilsak's "values," which are now evidence of Obama's values, is to make them fear us more than the biotech firms.