Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Cheap fruit

A friend told me to check out the dollar store in the next town down for fresh produce so I went today. What a scoop!

For a buck each I got; 6 bananas, 10 apples, 5 bosc pears, 3 cucumbers, 5 ounces blackberries, 8 ounces blueberries, 8 kiwis, 7 lemons, 3 teensy avocadoes. I'll be going back there again.

In the Farmers market this week they were asking 3 bucks a pound for apples - apples! I'll pay that for cherimoyas but not apples. The cherimoyas were sooo good. I'm getting better at buying and ripening every week. I don't think I'm ready for a road trip but, here at home, I'm getting it handled.

Comments

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

Make sure you use a good lemon juice or veg wash on those dollar store purchases

Good find

• There is this asian grocery store I get durian from that sells romain- 5 heads in a commercial bag for less than 2 bucks...sometimes you have to wonder why it's so cheap. Are you giving up nutrients (why you eat this way) for money? There is a list of veg's that you shouldn't eat non-organic- like avos are ok either way. Something to think about.

• Yes, I don't think I'd buy lettuce there, just fruit.

But I have a Lotus Sanitizing system so, although I usually buy organic, I don't worry if I don't. You put the lettuce or fruit in a bowl of water and some magical electrical thing happens that neutralizes pesticides, bacteria, viruses, everything. It takes about five minutes a bowlful so on market day I'm doing it for a couple of hours. But it helps the food keep longer also because the bacteria are gone.

I'm surprised more raw-foodies don't mention it. It's a lifesaver. You can also spray the water on stuff too big to go in the bowl. You can sanitize your kitchen counters and cutting boards with it. I've thrown away all my cleaning stuff since I got it, just clean everything with energized water.

I got it at Amazon. It wasn't cheap, I think about 120 bucks but it's worth it's weight in gold to me.

• Oh man I don't think the dollar stores by me sell fruits but I'm very happy with the outcome of the fruits I get at the farmers market , trader joes and whole foods in my area... and sometimes with seasons things get good sales

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

OMG I just checked out the lotus sanitizing system freepam uses. Very cool. Anyone looking to go 'greener' look this over. Now how long to hold out splurging on this worthwhile item? I love that its for food and cleaning the house, etc. Thanks!