Cooked Food Glutony

I realized the when I eat raw, I eat until I am satisfied, no matter how good it tastes. I just go back and get more when I want to later in the day. But when I eat cooked foods that taste so good I want “just one more bite” even after I am full. Then I inevitably overeat and pay for it later. My stomach feels like the food is just sitting there taking up space and weighing a ton! Has anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

Yes! Especially with things that have a lot of fat in them. Cheezits and ice cream (not together, haha) are two particularly evil things I have to just stay away from. I’m ok if I just don’t start, but once I have a bite then it’s like this weird compulsion to keep stuffing it in, even after it starts to actually hurt because I’m so full. Then of course I sit there feeling bloated and miserable and guilty.

But with raw foods, last night for example, I had a busy evening so I just snacked on some raw green beans, a cucumber and some radishes, and after a few bites I’d stop, then go back for more as I walked through the kitchen. It’s really interesting to eat so slowly that you actually notice the moment when your stomach is full. DUH, huh? ;o)

• I don’t know if I can really go full raw. I try each week to start up again then I cook some food and I’m back to eating everything. You see I’m a chef for 30 years now. Cooking since I’m 14. I love to cook and love to eat. I try to make raw food dishes and they are wonderful. But then I have to cook for other people too. I have to taste my food. I am a good cook. If I could cook for only raw fooders maybe I could do it. I need to loss weight and have more energy. I am so pround of all of you that can really stick to this way of life. I really need to stop letting myself be stuffed on cooked food it’s getting me down. Thanks for listening, KJ

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

kj delicious, Im a good cook as well and like to taste all my cooked food creations for my family, but i gotta say, I am well on my way to 100% raw and find the raw food creations to be so challenging and satisfying that my cooked food is unappealing to me now!( i get hubby to taste as I want to be 100 % raw by the end of august)I opened a can of tomatoe paste the other day to make chilli and the smell was so …gross! i made fresh raw chili for myself and it smelled like a garden! As a cook(hobbiest)the flavors and creative process to make really appealing raw food keeps me happy! i obsess with recipes all the time! I never thought this much about food when cooking it. Stick with it and keep trying, its such an awesome process. Dont take on to much all at once, maybe go raw 1 day a week or go raw until dinner time…what ever you can commit to. I know you can do it!

• I think as long as you do as much raw as you can, you are on the right track and eating better than the majority of the world. So even if that means you only eat raw once a day, that is better than not at all! I love food and I do eat cooked food from time to time and feel fine. I strive for 75% raw, and some days I am 100% raw and other days 50% raw. If you cleanse your body regularly (herbal detoxes or fasts or whatever works) then this keeps your body running like a well kept engine. Everything in moderation and enjoy what you prepare and eat! I think if you stick to whole foods, whether raw or not, than you will be just fine. It’s the processed stuff that is killing us. Blessings, Devachal

• I’m not 100% raw yet, but the past couple of days I’ve been eating really healthy. Strawberries, blueberries, lots and lots of delicious green salads! Today I went to my parent’s house and had some bread (which i haven’t eaten in a long time, i used to be addicted) and THEN I had some chow mein. Ten minutes later I was seriously regretting eating cooked food, it felt so heavy, and I could tell my stomach was not happy at all. On a SAD diet we learn that to be “full” for long is a good thing, in reality it makes us lethargic; lighter fresher meals are so much better.

kj – it is tough sometimes to keep from the temptations of cooked food. I am not a chef, but I do go to my parent’s every weekend, and cave in time and time again out of convenience. They seem to have sometime against vegetables and fresh fruit. Just do the best you can do. If you need to taste the foods you make, then so be it, but try to remember that you’ll have some [insert favorite raw food here] later.

• Oh ,your all so kind I really needed that. I cook for people who really love my food. I have been making more raw foods for my people they enjoy it. I’m ready to do All raw myself but the people I cook for are now just getting into Brown rice and seaweed. The food I make each day also feeds my family this is how I make it. so I can stay home and be with the kids. If it’s back to work at a hotel or spa I’ll only be going backwards. I’m trying to pay for all are food through the cooking jobs. Not everyone is at the same level in there food growth. Thanks for your thoughts. Tomorrow I’ll try to do half the day. That’s a really good Idea. KJ :)

• I am new to raw and hopefully I will do a better job once my Excalibur gets here! Just a few more days! I usually eat raw during the day and eat at least one cooked item at dinner. It is hard though. I am the only raw person in the house. I still have to cook for my husband and kids.

odalys: I usually try to eat something before I go to a family members house. I also try to take a piece of fruit with me and/or a raw bar like a Lara bar. But I also feel very “heavy” after I eat cooked food and my stomach is totally rebelious!

Thanks so much to everyone who has answered this thread! I am so glad I am not the only one who feels this way!

• Thanks wanna-b-raw , I feel like you. We have made these connections with family ,friends and now people online. We would love to stay this is how I am eating and thats- that. But we’re kind mothers, wifes, daughters, sisters, cousins, and friends. Food is a bridge to the heart. So we love others and slowly let them follow us to the pure food life. I’m so glad you brought this subject up. Everyday I would see how wonderful everyone was doing with there raw food and wanted to be in that space. But my space is ok too, KJ

• kj: Yes, we are their example! We will lead and hopefully, they will follow! I have been slowly changing my family’s diet. I use to fix chicken or turkey with a cooked vegetable side and a cooked starch like rice or pasta. Now I serve them chicken or turkey with a fresh UNCOOKED green salad. I am also making the kids smoothies to go with their breakfast and lunch. I tell my youngest that if he wants a cooked item for lunch, then he has to eat a raw item with it! He is more willing than my preteen! I am also slowly cleaning out the pantry. As the processed foods are consumed, they are replaced with raw options! I can’t wait to replace chips and crackers with raw ones when I get the dehydrator! I am “in that space” with you, KJ! So you are not alone! Don’t be too hard on yourself if you are not 100% raw! It took me almost 3 years to be a fairly healthy vegetarian, so I guess we can’t expect to learn to be raw overnight, though we’d like to! It’s a process, or a journey!

• Hi wanna-b-raw, I had a great raw day today. I took the advice of “think of more things in life other then food”. I had a great day with the kids. Playing, Cheaking out the shops in downtown Asheville, Swimming too. It was great. I spend most of my waking hours thinking of food. What I’m going to cook for my people, family, then myself. I had a day off today. I just packed a bag of raw food and we were off. life is simple with out cooking. Isn’t that where we all want to be. Of couse I do want to keep my cooking jobs for now. . I hope all the mom’s out there also had a wonderful day with their family’s and raw foods. Peace KJ

• Hi kj! I had a good raw day too! I was actually 100% today! Dinner is the toughest time to get through! I think about food all the time too! Especially b/c I am waiting on my Excalibur and cannot wait to try some of these recipes out! I have not decided to be totally 100% raw everyday, but I feel good knowing I was able to make it through today! That was my goal today and I did it! Glad you had a great raw day also!