Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Gone off raw

Hello, everyone

I had gone off raw as it was so fiddly, all that juicing and worry about proper nutrition, plus the waste of all that pulp. It should have been in me, not out on the bird table. I went back to eating cooked. I feel awful and bloated, but today, I watched a programme about a zoo and the keeper was chopping up a variety of raw food and fruit and giving it to some small fluffy creatures. Something in me 'zinged' and I radied the fridge. I ate some raw chinese leaves, a clementine, an apple, a stick of celery, a couple of broccoli florets and a raw carrot. I don't feel bloated or dissatisfied. I think what happened, was the sudden plunging into raw before and all the work involved. I still ate nuts and a little fruit. This time I shall approach it more slowly and sensibly. Glad to be back.

Comments

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Bluebells, I agree, the simpler things are the more likely I am to stay with it. I've uncooked very little since embarking on this journey. Glad to have you back.

• Raw CurlsRaw Curls Raw Newbie

>>I had gone off raw as it was so fiddly, all that juicing and worry about proper nutrition,

• Not sure if she means this, but what I find difficult is that the more I read about RAW the more contridictory information I come across. I find myself stressing about proper food combining when "ignorance is bliss" during times that I am not raw.

I too hate disposing of juicing pulp. I have heard you can make raw crackers out of it, does anyone have any recipes?

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

chicagomama & bluebells~

No one "really" has THE answer to optimum health. Think of what you read as "options" and guidelines. If you don't feel like you would like to feel, then try out one of the options you read about. If you are feeling great, keep doing what you are doing. Why change what's working? Many people start to look at food combining because they have something going on that they are targeting... like they have gas and looking for how to resolve it. One option is described as food combining. There are other options for resolving gas.... Listen to your body, do what works for you, and have fun.

As for what to do with the leftover pulp... there are lots of recipes on the site that call for it. Simple do a "advanced search" using the keyword "pulp." There have also been multiple threads discussing uses for pulps.

Happy exploring and having FUN!

• internettouristinternettourist Raw Newbie

Welcome back

The more raw fruits and vegetables a person eats (with the exception of night shades) the better whether a person is 100% raw or not 100%. I am mostly raw. I have a juicer I never use because it is a pain. Instead I use a blender. Put a little water at the bottom of the blender. You'll throw nothing away.

• Welcome back, Bluebells! I can't say enough about the importance of transitioning into raw. Very few people succeed or thrive by plunging into 100%, and 100% raw may not even be right for everyone. If you haven't already read The Raw Food Detox Diet by Natalia Rose, I highly recommend it. She understands the goal is clean cells and increased life force energy, not the pride of wearing a "raw" label. :-)

• I second the Natalia Rose suggestion; her book--she has a few out but I'd recommend The Raw Food Detox Diet--makes transitioning very easy. She calls it "raw done right" (in protest to the currently "corrupt raw food movement"), emphasizing proper food combinations for ease of digestion and attention to elimination through the skin, bowel, etc.

• ajcajc Raw Newbie

"(in protest to the currently "corrupt raw food movement")

Could you explain what this means??

• I think what she means is in protest to some of the dogmatic approaches toward raw. For instance there are a few times she says something like she would rather eat a steamed portion of fish than eat some highly processed raw food or pure coconut oil or something like that. She also says while you can make nut/seed cheeses, why bother when you can have the real thing in a raw goats milk cheese.

I have two of her books and find them very inspiring. I jumped into an 80/10/10 approach over teh summer and it def had a backlash so I am taking her approach more and slowing down. It is working a lot better emotionally and physically!

• This is good. I felt like a failure when I couldn't stick to raw. I am still eating ,say, 1 carrot, a chinese leaf, an apple, a clementine, a banana, a tomato, a floret of broccoli, a lettuce leaf and a small handful of mixed nuts. I shall eat this until my tastes change and I am used to eating raw. Next after that, I shall try raw soups. At the moment, the weather is freezing and I don't want to give up on my hot soups just yet, nor my steaming hot cups of tea, although, I have replaced half of them with decaffeinated green tea. I will certainly get Natalie Rose's book. I feel inside that raw is the way. I see the beautiful horses, cattle and sheep grazing on grass in the fields where I live and they don't eat cooked. And the birds all eating seeds and raw creeping things, not that I want to eat raw creeping things. I often marvel at the fact that horses, sheep and cattle thrive and build all that beautiful muscle on grass.

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

I agree here completely.

I tried hard to transition, then I read that people don't get the benefit until they go 100%.

then I read that its different for everyone.

then I read its not different. I just don't listen anymore and go on how I feel.

I'm definitely not 100% anymore, but I find myself choosing raw foods over cooked more often than the other.

I guess its mostly about loving yourself and doing what you can, mentally and physically (meaning don't beat yourself up if you slip up)