Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Nightshade vegetables???

rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

I was searching for recipes in a vegan website, and read that there are some vegetables refered to as "nightshade", implying that they should be avoided . This is not the first time I read this type of comments regarding tomatoes, eggplants and peppers ( I am missing others?), I remember somebody saying the same thing in this forum. It seems to me that everybody else is aware of this, since there are usually no further explanations of why these vegetables are discriminated. If you know or have heard of a good (or even fair) explanation, I would really like to know about it. Thanks!

Comments

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

Hi, I always feel so bad when I read some people need to avoid these plants. I dont think life would be worth living without homegrown tomatoes in the summertime! But hey when I over do them (not if) I will sometimes get a sore (canker) on the inside of my cheek or tongue and HAVE to lay off them for awhile. So, it makes sense that some are more sensitive and basically avoid them at all times.

There is sure to be someone here who understands the science.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I read that only parts of the nightshade plants are harmful.

http://www.rawschool.com/bestrawfoods.htm

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

Macrobiotics was intended as a diet to recover from illness. Reducing inflammation is always a consideration. Nightshade alkaloid trigger inflammation in SOME people and contributes specifically to swelling of the joints. This is why macrobiotics advises that they be avoided.

I would contest at least one thing stated in the link EMTPDMOM provided, which is that macrobiotics doesn't include fruits. One of the women who studied in Japan with the person who developed this eating program retired in my city and really promoted macrobiotics here. We have a local health food market here with a health food market with a full time deli here devoted to macrobiotic eating. We have a large macro community here. My departure from a SAD diet was through macrobiotics. In macrobiotics it is suggested you eat those fruits and vegetables grown in your climate because they contain the nutrients intended to support life in that climate. A person living in New York would not eat pineapple if following a strict macrobiotic diet, but they would definitely eat fruit.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I have the symptoms of R.A.. After much reading and experimenting this is what works for me, and after reading the information that emtpdmom gave I can see why.

I can eat dead ripe tomatoes in limited quantity about once ever 3 days. .Red peppers but not green same amount as tomatoes. No on the potatoes and I don't eat eggplant. Tomatilloes I can also eat in small amounts.

If I over do the night shades, joint pain will comes back.

Buy eating raw for 4+ years I have slowly be able to eat more of the night shades. Like at one time I was never able to eat peppers, and tomatoes was about once a month.

• Raw CurlsRaw Curls Raw Newbie

I think it was for those having thyroid issues - if not there's probably no need to try and avoid the nightshade family of foods.

Beeny Beegan that's good to know, I have those same symptoms.