Rancid coconut?

I asked about this in a thread the other day--how to tell if your coconut is rancid. Then I got a young coconut, opened it and it was kinda weird. Normally they are pristine white, this one had a pink/purplish tinge and seemed slimer than normal. It smelled fine but I was too weirded out by then to taste it and chucked it, which sucked since they are $3 a pop. Was this in fact rancid? Are there any other signs to look for? It had sat in my fridge for about a week after purchase, not sure what the normal shelf-life is.

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I am NO expert but think pink/purple is a problem and you were smart not to use it... Having said that, I'm sure there is someone here who will KNOW the right answer... Stay safe!!! smile

• why was my question moved?

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Chicagomama, I'm not sure what you mean by moved. Since the site updates, initial posts (new threads) are posted to the Forums page. Once someone replies, it moves to the Homepage. The most recent ten posts (including recipes and forums) are listed on the Homepage. The ten most recent threads (topics) are listed on the Forums page. Hope this clears it up.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Chicagomama, I just noticed that your topic has been moved from one forum to another. If this is what you are referring to in reply #2, and you did not move it, I'd suggest using the "Feedback" link in the bottom right of the screen and reporting this directly to Kandace and Ray. I've noticed quite a few "weird" moves this weekend, and have wondered if there is a problem brewing.