Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Juicing makes me feel sick?

zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

I just started juicing and I'm trying to do it daily or twice daily for health benefits. I got inspired by www.juicing-for-health.com in particular and how she had some great health benefits.

The thing is, for the rest of the day after juicing I feel kind of sick. I have a headache and I feel kind of run down and crabby. I also have been craving more cooked foods than normal. At the same time I do seem to have more energy than I used to. I attribute the feeling sick to detoxing.

Did anybody else experience this when they first started juicing (headache, aching, crabby)? What health benefits have you had from juicing? I'd like to hear about your experiences :)

Thanks!

mformaria

Comments

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

Also, how long did your achy feelings last? Mine are probably a 3.5 on the pain richter scale...(out of 10) so I would like it to stop asap.

• ladydaventryladydaventry Raw Newbie

Oh gosh I know how you feel! I started juicing yesterday, two lovely green juices. This morning I was very ill and still can't stomach anything. Perhaps I used too much ginger.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i've been juicing for a few weeks and my only symptoms have been dizziness and head aches. i usually just have some tea to make myself feel better or i just lay down. i've been sleeping A LOT lately, too. i don't know if that's a symptom of juicing or not. it's probably because it's been snowing a lot so i never go anywhere haha

the benefits of it are definitely wonderful skin!! my face has never been so pimple-free in my life. there is more oil than usual, but it might be because i've been eating more fats in my diet like nuts and seeds. my skin is also really soft.

Have you been having the juice as well as meals? My skin is so terribly dry and I used coconut oil last week and woke up with a huge breakout; it's just too rich for my face. What juices have you been doing? Mine are a mix of lemon, apple, ginger, romaine, kale, fennel and celery. I know cucumber is great for the skin but I just can't hack the taste!

ladydaventry, i've been eating meals too but i try to juice 2 or 3 times a day. i always have fresh apple juice in the morning. i love it. later in the day, i make celery carrot juice or carrot orange juice.

i'm trying to think how to help your breakouts. i don't really wear face masks or anything. i just drink A LOT of water and juice throughout the day. i also eat tons of bananas, cabbage, oranges, cacao powder, nut butters, and collard greens. i don't think there's one certain food that contributes to clear skin. i just bought a bunch of cucumbers to juice because i've heard that it's good for skin, too. i hope it doesn't taste as bad as you say!! haha what will i do with all that cucumber pulp??

ohh i forgot to mention watermelon juice!! i haven't had it lately, but for a week while i did my all juice fast, i drank so much watermelon juice. that was so delicious and sweet.

I eat fruit, salad greens and avocados. No nuts but occasionally I have sunflower seeds. I'll carry on with my green juice and definitely try the watermelon juice, I bet that is so refreshing!! Off to Australia on Wednesday so atleast there I can have fresh fruit, not the nasty stuff in the UK that is quite literally ripened in a barrel.

• I posted a similar experience in another post, but when I started juicing a few weeks ago,I felt quite sick and 'spaced out'. I was advised to cut the juice in half with water. Since then, I've started doing green smoothies every morning, and am going to start juicing again, so maybe it was just my body not being used to all of the nutrients? I'm not sure :-)

hawkmission

What would you put in a smoothie? Do you juice spinach etc... first then blend it with bananas etc...? I got a huge fresh watermelon, I'm juicing that for breakfast tomorrow!

• Well, for my green smoothies, I've been experimenting with different combinations. Lately, I've been trying to stick to a food combining 'aesthetic' (ie acid fruits with acid fruits). According to food combining, you should never mix sweet fruits with acid fruits (ie bananas with strawberries!), but this is just for digestion purposes. This is a typical smoothie for me (ie the one I tried this morning):

1 cup pineapple

1/2 cup papaya

1/2 cup strawberries

handful of blackberries

1 cup kale

1 cup water

Blend!

This was my first time trying kale, but I suggest starting with a typical smoothie concoction. I saw this one made by Sergei Boutenko n youtube and it was the first one I tried:

1 banana

1 mango

2 handfuls of spinach.

It was really good! As for your juicing, make sure to have the watermelon juice on its own (if u are interested in food combining). "Melon, eat it alone or leave it alone". hahah best words of advice.

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

This guy inspires me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_LaLanne

Most of the feats except hitting the 4 year old child.

Here is the interview:

http://www.shareguide.com/LaLanne.html

"Jack LaLanne: I drink 6 or seven glasses of water a day. I also drink vegetable juice. And I have at least 5 or 6 pieces of fresh fruit everyday and 10 raw vegetables."

Working out 2hours / day at 94!!!!!!! WOW!!!!

I like this quote:

"Absolutely! I'd rather see you drink a glass of wine than a glass of milk."

I keep telling people that a bottle of beer is probably better for them than a glass of milk!!! lol

I need to do more juicing, but the clean up turns me off. :-(

• Oooooh pick me pick me!!!! I LUUUURVE juicing!

But, I totally get where you are coming from Zin. I just did a juice Cleanse here in MA (Prana Cleanse through Prana Power Yoga-A.MA.ZING!!). I juiced for 5 days (some fruit in the mornings). It was my second time doing it and let me tell you, I was a big hot detoxing MESS. I really think even juicing a couple of times a week helps us detox so what you are feeling is normal. Well, I don

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

I had a prolonged detox (crabby, tired, cloudy-minded) when starting to juice-- If you have a yeast overgrowth in your colon-- depleting the body of cooked foods and processed sugars AND the influx of veggie juice can kill the yeast (=good) but the body musy deal with getting rid of millions of dead yeast carcases AND can cause you to crave processed carbs.

I would stick with it! You could also try having your juice at night rather than in the AM-- or vice versa.

watermellon-- mmmmm

rawcanadian, the clean-up is my least favorite part!!! i really want to do another juice fast in the future, but i don't wanna deal with taking the juicer apart, scrubbing it down, and all that jazz : /

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

I don't think the question of whether one should juice spinach before putting it in a smoothie was answered. At least I couldn't find an answer. I've been using baby spinach leaves in my smoothies for about a year. I don't have a juicer (except for a citrus reamer), so when I want to try a juice recipe, I just use the fruit flesh. My high speed blender does a great job of pulverizing everything.

• leahcelesteleahceleste Raw Newbie

I have juiced on and off in the past but right now I am on a big juice kick, drinking two juices a day. I love juice and it has made my skin look amazing, every little blemish I had cleared right up after a couple days.

I now try to drink my juice before meals, meaning that I think it is important to eat something 10-15 mins after you juice. You want to give the juice a good few minutes to go through your system but then eat breakfast lunch or dinner. I think if you are drinking juice only like mid morning or midday then you may feel bad. Also it is really important to layer your food when eating from easy to digest to hardest to digest. That means drinking juice first then eating salad, then eating the heavier stuff and eating cooked food last if you are eating it right now. By doing this you are not throwing the juice on top of some food that is digesting in your stomach from your last meal.

• Hi hi...

I was the one that made the comment about the spinach... sorry for the delay (I've been too busy posting on New to Raw about my gas-HA!)! I went back and checked my notes from the classes I had during the juice Cleanse and I have to admit I don't have a lot of detail. I just wrote down that "too much spinach *juice* can leach calcium. Eating it a few times a week is OK but because the juice is so concentrated..." I don't have a lot of info to back that up and haven't had a chance to really research it so take it with a grain of himalayan sea salt. It just popped up in my head when I was raving about green juice.

Leah I notice a definite difference in my skin when I am juicing a lot. I also notice I don't have to exfoliate my face as much... not sure why?

Zin how are you feeling, btw?

• i felt really energetic and maybe a bit of a headache!

• barbaradsbarbarads Raw Newbie

I am one of those people that cannot juice. I was told by my holistic physician not to and did not listen to him and found out the hard way. My body is not quite ready for that kind of detox because I need to free up other parts of my body functions in order to be able to detox without doing more harm than good. I attempted juicing for FIVE DAYS....I felt achy and sick and kept thinking it must be detox and kept going....until I realized I had induced full blown fibromyalgia and chronic fatique. I stopped immediately and months later, I am still fighting these horrid symptoms. I AM working with an awesome physician who truly understand how the body works and has explained to me why I cannot juice for now!!! If bile ducts are clogged and liver is taxed and other things are going on...trying to juice and force the dumping of excess toxins when things are backed up or clogged and the body is not handling normal detox well, can do more harm than good. I took an already compromised immune system, and made it worse. !! Now I'm working to get back to good health.

I can do green smoothies with no problem. The pulp is important in my healing right now. I know this is not something people really want to hear...but for those of you new to juicing..just pay attention to your body and don't force something you might not be ready to handle...and if possible, work with a professional who understands and is testing you frequently to know exactly where you are on your healing path.

I know juicing is wonderful and I look forward to being able to participate in this practice, but for now, it is NOT a good thing for me to do. Be careful. The same thing does not work for everyone. We are all unique in this process of healing.

hawkmissionmformarianadinev
  • swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

I rarely ever juice anything and when I do, it's no more than a few ounces of OJ. Any more than that and I feel nauseated, likely due to the lack of fiber and rapid uptake of sugar.

Here are a couple of articles I wrote about juicing and juice fasting.

Is Juicing Healthy on a Raw Food Diet?:

http://www.fitonraw.com/2010/06/juicing-raw-foods/

Is Juice fasting Just as Good as Water Fasting?:

http://www.fitonraw.com/2010/10/is-juice-fasting-just-as-good-as-water-fasting/

Swayze

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Yeah its likely either down to either some of the phytonutrients contained which can cause a rapid detox such as seen with beet root juice. Or as swazye says down to the fast uptake of sugar due to the lack of fibre.

Would be interesting to see if you feel the same way with adding a little fibre to your juice.

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

What are you juicing?

You might want to drink your greens alone and not drink anything for at least an hour after greens.

Also are you straining your juice? any speck of pulp can keep the digestive tract awake and so does store bought juice.

• Wow! I didn't know there were downsides to juicing! :\

I feel amaaaazing after having 0,5/1 Liter of green juice. The very first time I took it I felt energized almost immediately. And it makes my head clear! All good foods seem to do that :)

• Karen11Karen11 Raw Newbie

We've been juicing daily for 5 months with the occassional day off or week off in between. The produce has mainly been half local grocery stores, half organic.  For some reason we took a long break from juicing, approximately 2 weeks, due to general activities like vacations.  When we restarted my husband was sick - nausea, cramps, sweats etc but I was fine. Thought maybe it was the filter and blade so I changed them and the juice yield improved.  Tried it again but later in the day around lunch and he was fine.

Got all the produce again and juiced this morning but we both got sick - nausea, cramps, sweats etc.  The produce is 100% organic as well now. Not sure if that plays a role but thought I'd mention just in case.   There is no change to the type of vegetables we are using or the combination of them or the amount for that matter, nothing has changed except we get sick from it which is something that never happened even when we first started juicing. 

Any ideas what could be causing this? 

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Karen, could your stomach problems be from the vacation food? I know it takes me a few days to truly recover from eating out in some locations. 

• hawkmissionhawkmission Raw Newbie

Very similar experience to Karen's just occurred to me today.  I juice a lot--especially over the past 6 weeks and every now and then will feel a little queasy just after juicing, but this morning drank a small glass and became almost immediately violently sick--vomiting for an hour until the whole juice was gone from my stomach (I'd had nothing else to eat or drink this morning).  I was left feeling really weak and shaky and haven't eaten anything since (5.30pm the same day).   

All of my juice ingredients were organic produce and all were washed before using my Breville Plus juicer.  The only ingredient a little different was an organic golden beet (usually I use my own red beets from my garden).  Now I'm feeling nervous about juicing tomorrow!

Here's what I juiced:  pear, carrots and 1 large golden beet with a few of the beet leaves, 

Anyone have any advice/ideas as to what might have happened here?

ClaireT

Hawk, I hope you are feeling better. 

Could the carrots (and maybe the beet) have been too strong for first thing in the morning on an empty stomach? Personally, I have to majorly dilute carrot juice with other juices or it will be too harsh. 

Mich88
  • Mich88Mich88 Raw Newbie

I began juicing this morning, and I must be toxic. One juicing of celery, cabbage, and pineapple gave me quite the energy burst, but soon after I began to feel cold, nauseous and dizzy. I did have a couple of crackers to help the nausea, but after reading more, I see that wasn't the best option for me. Thank you for such a well informed place to discuss and learn more about juicing.  I will continue; love the energy, however maybe ease in to it. laughing

Easing into it is probably one of the best ways, Mich. The body will react negatively to any sudden major changes, even if they are good ones, but it won't if you go slow enough to be sneaky. lol

• jojo76jojo76 Raw Newbie
    So I've been juicing off and on for about 6 yrs..I started cause I have sever back and hip and neck pain..I didn't wanna be on pills all my life. So I decided to look up juicing for inflammation...yes at first I felt like total shit..omg but I cut back at first I drank a16oz glass of 1 Apple, 2celery sticks, 1/2beet (do not I repeat do not start with that much beet you will never leave the bathroom found out the wrong way ) 1/2 cucumbers, lots of carrots and a handful of spinach or kale ,sometimes I would add the greens of the beets ... now with this said like everybody above has stated you feel sick ,yes at first you will your body isn't used to all this at once especially if you had a scrappy diet I believe the more fried foods you are the worse it was for you so slowly move into this don't jump into a 5 day cleansing start by adding a small 8oz glass at every meal or less if it's to much add some water to it or make a big batch and sip on it ..please don't for get to drink water cut back or don't eat fried foods ... I don't do a lot of fruit at once the sugar is way to much you want 1 to 2 fruit only all veggies...I just now made myself sick because I made a pineapple ,Apple, avocado, plain Greek yogurt,and coconut milk...I didn't have enough veggies in there but I left those at home as to right now I'm at work ...and yes people you can very well blend spinach or kale cabbage but use a nuti blender not a regular blender too thick...I like blending Apple,celery,carrots,almond milk almonds and oatmeal chai seeds and flax seeds and sometimes I will add blueberries or black berries when on sale...I've never had to much of a problem with that ,but some people who don't eat a lot of fiber will have the gassy bloated feeling as these shakes are high in fiber so be careful...I know there might be some writing mistakes and grammar issues but I'm writing this on my phone that like to change words and well just don't be a grammar Nazi...thank you :)