Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Rainbow Green Live food Cuisine Phase 1

Hi, I have been a vegetarian for a few years I have been incorportating raw foods into my diet over the past year. I was never able to go 100% raw because I couldn't make it past the detox stage. Anyway I an attempting 100% raw again and I have 2 recipie books from Rainbow Green Live food Cusine. The Rainbow Green live food cusine practices 3 phases of going raw, phase 1 is basically really low glycimic foods - no fruits, most vegetables, lot's of fats (nuts, coconuts, oils). They recommend this phase for about 3 months.

So I feel good so far - no extreme detox like last times I tried 100% raw, but I am concerned about the amount of fat I am consuming. I am overweight and my goal is of course to lose weight while cleansing my body. Has anyone gone raw this way? Or know anyone that has? Can you lose weight while consuming so much fat if you are keeping it low carb?

Anyone experiences or comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

yes you can lose weigh while eating fat. i lost 30 pounds.

raw fat is good for you, despite what many will say. and the fat will keep the detox symptoms to be less severe.

• I'm just completing my first month of eating according to the Phase 1. After cutting out sprouted grains and the ton of fruit that I was eating, I lost another 7 lbs. in less than 2 weeks! I think that it might take some time to lose the weight, but it will happen, even when eating raw fat.

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I give you guys a lot of credit - i don't think i could live without fruit :)

I've read that Coconut Oil will actually assist in losing weight. If you make green smoothies or something like that, i'd throw in a spoonful or two! Since i read that, i'm trying to do the same with my green/fruit smoothies. I love coconut oil already, so it's not difficult to do... i just have to remember that it really thickens up the smoothie, so i have to add more water.

I'm sure you'll be able to do it - best of luck to you!

I'd really like to buy the Rainbow Green Living book... I'm waiting for my next Border's coupon :)

• Well, I know this is an old thread... but my husband and I are going to try a 30 day challenge on Phase 1, so we'll see how it goes!! We think hubby may have some candida, and possibly some other fungal issues. So I hope he can make it through the detoxing stage and stick with it! I am worried about the lack of fruit/natural sugars - that was often my 'saving grace' when I would have a sugar craving! I'd make a banana "ice cream" dessert, or raw cookies, or just enjoy organic dark chocolate or something! So, that'll be my challenge!! :)

• I know my cravings went away when I just forced myself to eat more of the foods I'm supposed to eat. The body rewires itself to crave the foods you currently eat more of to get the nutrients it needs. it might be that your body is used to getting certain nutrients from a certain food rich in fats or carbs, though once you start eating the other foods it'll start to crave those foods.

Now I can eat a head of brocoli or cauliflower with nothing added, celery and greens with no oil, and other veggies, and have my nuts/seeds on the side. Very basic sounding I know but it's also the beauty of raw foods. Your body will crave natural and raw foods instead of being tricked into believing too much sugar is going to give you what you need, or too much fat.

In another book about healing diabetes Gabriel Cousens recommends at 2-5 lbs of greens a day to help a person from eating too many sugars or fats. Just be creative.

• i also want to add that the 40% fat intake is probably for those who have higher protein needs or who just have a more active lifestyle. with the guidelines he gives it's totally possible to lose weighton this diet because the main premise is that this is similar to a higher protein/lower carb diet such as the Zone diet or modified atkins, especially since raw protein can count as double since about 50% of the protein is destroyed when you cook any food. That and also, in raw foods it's low glycemic, even lower than the cooked version of any diet. When you cook something with carbohydrates its glycemic index is raised.

I've even been able to do raw veganism as a clyclic ketogenic diet with minimal carbs, requiring that you stay under 20g of carbs every 4 hrs and STILL be satisfied, and that is of course as long as greens is the base of the diet, with low carb/starch veggies with nuts/seeds/oils in moderation. With that you can have a big salad with lots of greens 3-4 times a day, with lots of fixings, and even have room for some snacks, but it takes some planning.

A protein supplement could help but I only recommend this for losing weight. When you are in a ketogenic diet the body is in ketosis so it burns fat as the primary source of energy, then protein.

It's also the same with modified atkins/the zone diet. Your hormones are more regular, there is decreased PGE2 and increased PGE1 and PGE3, so there is less inflammation in the body, and your body uses again fats as primary source perhaps with less coming from the muscles, but also the carbs you get go straight to the brain and nervous as they're not being used up by the body during physical activity using muscle strength and even cardiovascular activity.

It might take some time to adjust, I'd say about a week but then soon you'll feel yourself coming into balance and you'll see that your concentration can improve, your emotions are more stable,t here is less inflammation, less bloating because there is a die-off of fungal infections/yeast infections/parasites, etc.

Then in phase 1.5 you can add low glycemic fruits to the mix, and phase 2 you have higher glycemic food options though still in moderation. Moderation is always a necessity when it comes to carbs, for the glycemic index/load, microorganism control in the body, balance of hormones, and functioning like the Zone diet. If you focus on more protein rich foods (at least in relation to carbs, and you won't have to worry about getting enough protein), vitamin/mineral rich foods, and omega 3 rich foods you will naturally come to the optimal food choices.

Also Gabriel Cousens released an update to the book with a larger menu (for the gourmet recipes) and updated guidelines which let you include a small amount of phase 1.5 fruits to a salad, and as a base for green juices one can have a little apple or pear with celery or cucumber. He also states in it that you can moderate using mung/adzuki beansprouts for phase 1, and no grains. You can also have cacao too! Though I stopped using it to rebalance my adrenal glands with herbal teas or supplements.

You'll also want to stop any alcohol intake, coffee, even tobacco during this time (coffee I think you should always stop since it isn't raw) to prevent the body from becoming too acid, and also feeding the "parasitic" microorganisms in the body. Some of the cravings actually come from having these microorganisms living in the body.

If only there was more support for this diet/lifestyle like a forum where we could all share, and not have to go to his institute in Arizona.

I was successful in building lots of muscle in this diet, and still going strong.

You might also want to look into Hippocrates Diet info for recipe ideas as well as Ani Phyo, Alissa Cohen's books, or any of the books which focus on low glycemic recipes. LifeFood Recipe Book: Living on Life Force [Paperback]

Annie Jubb (Author), David Jubb (Author)

Research to get the most out of this diet, to get nutrients which might be scarcer in ANY vegan food. IMO even if the plant food has a little of this or that nutrient it still has enzymes which can be taken in and support the fucntion of producing that nutrient in the body.

also another good one.

regards

• I just want to say, I've done this diet, and I like it but so far I think the book is outdated and information on how to do it properly is scarce.

First off my diet on phase 1 is greens as a base for everything (i want to be higher protein to carbs in ratio). So, greens is my base and I just top it with veggies and nuts/seeds or some kind of dressing with them. Oil included but as with everything adjust, the max calories you shd be getting from fats is 40% of the total caloric intake. Nothing more.

Though I'm not sure if Gabriel Cousens agrees since he doesn't even use caloric measurements, I just remember him saying 40% fat in a diet is max and good, as long as it's raw fats. I saw this in a video blog he made and I think I remember him saying of caloric intake. Also Omega 3 to 6 ratio is extremely important. It should be 1:1 to 1:4 to be healthy. THis is so DHA /EPA can be produced effectively in the body for ALL it's needs, not needing supplementation.

2nd it's also good to consume a bit of the sea veggies. 3rd, coconut oil and avocados for good HDL as that seems to be low in a lot of vegan diets when these are absent. Especially take them together with omega 3s (flax/chia/hemp, etc)/alpha linolenc acid. This helps produce the EPA/DHA even further. 4th, when moderating the omega fatty acid intake it's good to keep in mind that oleic acid is an omega 9, so it doesn't disturb the intake ratio of omega 3 to 6. It also has health benefits. So with that in mind you can use nuts/seeds/oils with high amounts of omega 9s without worrying about it disturbing the balance.

I know this information comes from everywhere but it's still in alignment with what he has suggested it's just all the information is not contained within that book, I even had to search around from his other books and materials out there to get a more complete picture as to how to do this diet because he recommends pretty much the same guidelines even for his diabetes patients.

Best wishes.

• I forgot to mention that sea veggies and saturated fats are important to work against goitrogenic compounds found in veggies.

Sea veggies for iodine and saturated fats from coconuts and avocado to stimulate the thyroid.

Other things might also activate the thyroid glands like heating/warming herbs or spices. Omega 3s and specifically from chia seeds are also warming.

If you don't use these many veggies might induce muscle soreness and joint pain (which I've experienced). I think that some of the symptoms people have experienced in attempting this diet is because of some things they've missed which are vitally important in the application of this diet.

• Did you get the Rainbow Green book yet? Highly recommended.. (warning - it will make you want to get the other books... it did here anyway!)

• Claire TurnipClaire Turnip Raw Newbie

That looks really good, Bia. What is the recipe called?

• suekosueko Raw Superstar

I attended Dr. Cousens' diabetic program about four years ago and stayed at the center for four weeks. I am still basically on phase 1 and I love it. Just push through in the beginning and you will feel so much better. Drink a lot of water and be kind to yourself. Transitions are not always easy, but this one was really worth it for me.

• cynthiaslpcynthiaslp Raw Newbie

I give you guys a lot of credit - i don't think i could live without fruit :)

I've read that Coconut Oil will actually assist in losing weight. If you make green smoothies or something like that, i'd throw in a spoonful or two! Since i read that, i'm trying to do the same with my green/fruit smoothies. I love coconut oil already, so it's not difficult to do... i just have to remember that it really thickens up the smoothie, so i have to add more water.

I'm sure you'll be able to do it - best of luck to you!

I'd really like to buy the Rainbow Green Living book... I'm waiting for my next Border's coupon :)

Incorrect. Only Phase 1 limits fruit. Phase 1.5 allows it. No, coconut oil does not assist weight loss.