Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Water from older coconuts

blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

There is so much info out there on coconut water, as in the good stuff from young coconuts, but I am wondering if anything useful can be done with the water from the mature brown coconuts you buy in stores. I just picked up 2 because I wanted the firmer meat (most to dehydrate my own for later use in recipes and the other because I haven't had it in forever so it just called to me). I already drained one and now wondering what to do with the water.

I know it will be more bitter than a young coconut, not great to drink plain, but is it still drinkable?

Would it be OK in smoothies or foods, or should I be looking for some other use for it?

Comments

• I've used the mature coconut water (and much of the meat) to make a pretty yummy soup. I blended all together with a large handful of spinach and a bit of curry powder. Threw in some mushrooms and zucchini "noodles" and it was pretty darn yummy.

• I haven't tried the water from a young coconut yet, but I think mature coconut water is heavenly. My favorite breakfast drink for sure.

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I figured out after that the first one was no good, disappointing but at least I know my nose and gut instinct are working better than they used to. I had simply tapped it then had it sitting to drain. When I went back I realized it smelled 'off' but couldn't figure out why. The coconut where I poked holes also smelled off. I've gotten very sensitive to smells the last year so at first I couldn't figure out the smell. About an hour ago when I broke it open I found out why, the whole thing was rotten. Ewww, it was gross. I threw it out with the water and cracked open the second(which I got yesterday and from a different store). Water does not smell, not bitter and the coconut doesn't smell at all either so hoping for good things when I crack it open. I will be happy if the water is good in the more mature coconuts because they are much more in my pricerange and easier to find near me.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

My Grandmother drank hers and threw some into her recipes when she made her coconut cake...oh I do miss her and her delicious cakes, nothing compares to her cakes on the Holidays when I was a little girl :) I have to try to figure out how to make a raw fluffy cake, there has to be a way???

• This is exactly what I always wonder about - does mature coconut water has the same beneficial qualities as young coconut water?

• From reading posts here and there I got the general impression that young coconuts and their water is better than older.

In Central america it is also used as a medicin, and then it is the young coconuts with the 'meat' inbetween jelly and mature...

Several have also said that it helps you loose extra pounds.

I love the taste of the old cocowater, but prefer the benefits of the young ones. Maybe its all in my head.. enlight us, someone.. :)

• i use both types of coconut water. mature coconut water DOES have a greater likelihood to be spoiled, more often. many a time i've opened a mature coconut and been disappointed to discover that (a) there was like, a tablespoon of liquid inside, or (b) it was sour. but not ALWAYS. when the mature coconut water isn't sour or in paltry pittance, i find that aside from being somewhat less palatable, the only difference is mature coconut water stirs up the bowels. i guess it's got more fiber in it or something, but there is DEFINITELY some sort of laxative quality about it.

• personally i hate young coconuts. far too sweet. Even as a child, when me & my dad went grocery shopping he got me a big older brown coconut. I love the juice from inside and the raw crunchy meat. :)

• bobsmbobsm Raw Newbie
    I was born and raised in a small town in South Florida and as a kid we had hundreds of coconuts every year to work with-we ate them and drank the water all the time with no adverse affects-I preferred the darker mature ones because they were easier to husk albeit some would be sour when I cracked them open-if the water smelled soured when drained I would throw that one away-if the water didn't smell sour and didn't taste sour from a small sample I would drink the water and open the coconut and always would find good thick coconut meat inside-If you shake a coconut and there is no sloshing sound that means there is no water inside and it is most likely not good-the more water that is inside the better your chances of having an excellent coconut-I use that same method now-I no longer live in S. Fla. so have to buy coconuts on occasion-when I do I pick the coconut that sounds like it has the most water in it-drain the water and if it smells ok and a small sample tastes ok I use it all-if the water smells sour when drained I throw it out.  I have never been sick to my stomach or had loose bowls from drinking and/or eating coconut contents that I drained and ate.  I am just telling this forum of my many years of experience with coconuts.  I love the water and the meat and it is one of the healthiest drinks/food you can partake of.   
  • RomeyRomey Raw Jr. Leader

I have used the water from the brown coconuts in smoothies and raw soups.  I generally don't get the brown ones because I have such a time getting them open.  I love the young thai coconuts.  The water is so good, I never put them in smoothies though because I like to savor the juice just as it is.

I guess you have proven that it is best to follow your instincts and smell.

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I'm in love with the thai coconut water too, Romney. I don't even think I've had a brown coconut in years. There is just no competition between the two. They're still a pain to open, though. I actually have a mini pick-axe in the kitchen that is just for them. 

This guy claims to be able to open one with a butter knife:

I'm not that talented. cool

• TammiTrueTammiTrue Raw Master

I use the more mature coconut water for savory dishes rather than putting it into desserts or smoothies. It works perfectly and adds just the right amount of tart in a lot of cases. 

• tierneyrtierneyr Raw Newbie

I've used the mature coconut water (and much of the meat) to make a pretty yummy soup. I blended all together with a large handful of spinach and a bit of curry powder. Threw in some mushrooms and zucchini "noodles" and it was pretty darn yummy.

ClaireT