Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

papaya

has anyone seen the conventional papayas at whole foods? they're huge! all the organic papayas i've seen are relatively small. i haven't bought any because i'm scared, they must be doing something to them. i've been reading about gm papayas and how papayas from hawaii are the most heavily treated (pesticides, irradiation). i've also read on different websites that papayas from mexico are irradiated and gm and hawaii papayas are the only healthy ones. does anyone know? i like to eat papaya everyday but there aren't any stores in my area that sell organic papaya :(

Comments

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

I've acually heard/seen on some Gm videos that Hawaii papayas are gm. honesty it so hard for me to find a organic papaya that if im going to buy one i usually get it a publix or some market and it's not organic. i really enjoy a papaya every morning for breakfast to get the through til another fruit i enjoy comes in season so.....

• leahcelesteleahceleste Raw Newbie

I eat the huge maridol mexican papayas. I am not sure if they are irradiated but when I was in mexico last year they were everywhere and we ate them like crazy. I was talking to some locals and they said that papaya is like a weed there and grows like crazy and that is why there are so many of them, so I don't think the mexican ones are GM.

I have heard that the ones from Hawaii are GM and actually I have never bought one of those so I can't really compare. The only things that I consistently eat non organic are avocados and papayas. I love them too much to surrender to only organic which is hard to find for these items.

• I did a research paper on GM foods and can confirm that unless it is organic, any papaya from hawaii is likely to be genetically modified to be resistant of the Papaya Ringspot virus, which (according to a representative from the papaya growers of hawaii) nearly destroyed the papaya industry in the mid-90's. I too love papaya, but they are far too expensive for my means. I should move to Mexico.

• thank you for all your input!

• I live in Ethiopia, and the papayas here are HUGE. I think it is more of an issue of different types of papaya. I always laugh when I read a recipe calling for 2 papayas or something, as one of ours is "as big as your head".