Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Where did my sex drive go!?? (men please reply)

ConstantinConstantin Raw Newbie

I used to eat a ton of meat and dairy and lift A LOT of weights. I was very athletic and very musclar and yes...very horny. I've switched to a completely (well about 75% raw vegan diet) and cut dairy and meat out completely over the last two months. I've also ended a relationship and not sure if theres a correlation of weirdness with a new partner or whatever but my POINT...my BURNING QUESTION is this. Has a raw diet negatively affected your sex drive? Are there specific foods you've eat that boost your sex drive?

I'm experimenting by taking zinc and horny goat weed supplements because I'm 21 and there's no reason I shouldn't have the sex drive of well...a 21 year old guy. I really want to stay raw but the testosterone boosts I got from rare meat are very tempting right now. HELP!

Comments

• graceinyafacegraceinyaface Raw Newbie

okay, i'm obviously not a dude but I can relate to this. I went vegan about a year ago after being pescatarian for about 8 years. For the past 6 months or so I was doing high raw vegan. For the past year, sex simply hasn't interested me, which is very frustrating because I'm 22 and I'm normally not like that at all. Just recently, within the past week, I started eating fish again and a little bit of eggs. My sex drive has gone through the roof! It's crazy, like I can't get enough. Maybe it was just phase or maybe there is a real connection. I know it sucks to not feel like yourself and not want something that is usually absolutely wonderful. Good luck to you babe.

• One word: maca.

• ConstantinConstantin Raw Newbie

oh really? how often do you take it? anyone else have experience with maca?

I don't want to take many supplements...I'm doing this raw thing to eliminate that sort of thing which is why Im not happy taking zinc supplements.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

CONSTANTIN - There may be an emotional connection but my question is are you still lifting weights? Lifting weights will cause your body to produce testosterone. I lifted weights with a personal trainer back in 1992 (wow, long time) and within 2 weeks I started wanting to jump everything that moved. It was all I thought about. It was as if I turned into a guy. LOL. I finally told my trainer about it and he said it was normal but some people had higher responses. If you aren't weight training, you might want to return to that or try to increase your lifting.

If you want to determine if the connection is in your heart / head, and if you aren't offended by the idea, you could return to eating some meat / fish and see if your labido returns. If you do, I would find some organic beef because what may be in beef that is upping your sex drive are the hormones they fed the animal and that can't be what nature intended.

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

I'm also a youngish lady, but I had the oppisite effect. I had a higher libido on being very alkaline, but I know that is related to the constitution of the female body. I was also consuming phyto-estrogens.

But I think Meditating has a point. I mean, is it natural to get out of a relationship and jump into another one right away without it affecting us? Evolutionary psychologists would probably say it's the best thing men could do, but I think their hot wind has an agenda...

thanks guys...really good comments. I may try reintroducing a bit of meat. I still lift probably 3-4 times a week along with rock climbing/mountain biking/skiing so I'm very active in that regard. I may try maca as well.

• Woman here...

I started drinking 1 tbs of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar in a glass of water twice a day .

My sex drive has soared and I only saw the connection after reading about others having the same effect from ACV.

• leahcelesteleahceleste Raw Newbie

I have been thinking alot about this subject. I am not convinced that it is normal for young men and sometimes women to be so horny all the time. Sometimes I think that it is a product of all the stimulating things that we eat, drink and do in our lives that causes us to think it is normal to want to have sex all the time.

Do you still enjoy sex? Can you get aroused when not horny? If so then don't worry so much about needing to eat something to stimulate your sex drive.

unforutnately i can say no to the enjoyment part...which is why i wanna get myself back to "normal". I LIKE being horny!

• 19 year old female here...

I found that besides aiding my dream memory, maca really helps. The taste is strange, not unpleasant, but it works.

Also, for me stress=no sex. Could you possibly be experiencing a higher level of stress right now than in your previous relationship?

• leahcelesteleahceleste Raw Newbie

Well if that's the prob then maca is one thing to try. I think 80/10/10 people would say that eating too much fat could be clogging up your sex drive and sexual feelings. I would experiment, try going on a green smoothie diet for a week or eat mono meals for a week and see what happens.

Tell us a little more about what you are eating, maybe you are feeling bad from unbalanced nutrition and that is what is at the heart of the problem.

I eat mostly fruit with about a handful of greens a day (i know i need more) I'm big on bell peppers and nori handrolls with avocado, carrots,sprouts,and shoyu. I'll have probably an avocado a day and a good amount of tahini in either hummus or vanilla bliss form. I'll eat some dates and sunflower seeds and bananas,dulse flakes,berries,occasionally batches of kale chips and a green smoothie about once a week. My blender doesn't shred the greens very well so i get little pieces of green in my smoothie and they dont taste terribly good. Also sometimes i'll eat raw poblano/jalapeno/habanero peppers because I'm a bit of a masochist.

As far as non-raw food I love quinoa cooked with lemon and ginger and then mixing that with fresh veggies and I also have the occasional glass of wine or beer, and a lot of times i snack on sundried tomatoes that I KNOW have preservatives but are tasty to me : /

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Up your greens dear. It's worked for me, and I am in my mid 40's. ;)

They also improve mood, and keep your system clean. As for the blender, I have a cheap one myself. Try running your blender for a long time, at least 2 or 3 minutes after it all "looks" blended. It won't get the food hot like the high power ones do. Also, try using less water than most recipes call for. The thicker texture tends to hide the bits. If I miss more than a day with a green smoothie, I can really feel the difference!!

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

I'm a 27 year old female, but in my experience I had the opposite effect...I have a naturally really high libido compared to most women to begin with...when I was at my highest raw it was absolutely off the charts, I was ready to jump anything that moved anytime day or night. BUT, I was putting maca powder in my smoothies EVERY DAY. So second (or third or fourth) the maca. You can mail order through David Wolfe's and a bunch of other sites, but I bought mine at a Mexican supermarket for about $2 for an 8oz jar. If you have a large hispanic population where you live, try to find a latin market...it would be an an aisle with powdered drink mixes (apparently chocolate or strawberry flavoured maca is a common drink in Mexico).

I just put 1 tablespoon in my smoothies every day. It takes a week or 2 to get into your system and start working so be patient.

That being said I'm sure the emotional stuff has something to with it. My fiance left me some time ago now and I'm still wrecked and not feeling my normal libido from it.

kevinrocks
  • achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

I don't know if you are aware of your oxidative state, but if you're a fast oxidizer, you will need more protein and a little more fat in your diet, and fewer carbs. "Conscious Eating" has an excellent discussion on this topic.

Fast oxidizers need concentrated protein. So you might want to add a fair amount of hemp protein powder, chlorella, spirulina, or another form of protein. Experiment with the amount you use to see what works for you.

Also, nuts and seeds, olives, and other forms of healthy fats are necessary to help produce the hormones for sperm production and a healthy libido. Good luck! :)

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I have heard some men say that once they gave up eating the flesh and secretions of animals, they realized they were no longer acting like animals. They stopped looking at women as pieces of flesh and wanting to hump everything in sight.

It sounds like a much more peaceful way to go about forming intimate relationships, but that's just me.

That's cool and all...but that's nowhere close to where I'm at. Sharing my life with exciting and interesting women is one of the greatest pleasures I've had and without a good libido, I'm not motivated enough to actively approach new women. It's not a "looking at woman as pieces of flesh" type of thing. We are all animals still even if we are on a diet suited to our species. sex is one of our primary biological functions and with that out of wack it lets me know that something bigger is going on with my body.

I of course don't "hump everything in sight". I have standards, but when I meet a girl who fits those standards I want to be excited by her.

judym
  • Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

Just as random 2 cents, I'm kinda with you on this one, Constantin. We are animals and sex is a major biological function. I know if my sex drive is really down something is off. When I'm eating healthiest and rawest and am in a good mental place, then my libido is at its highest. A high libido does not equal crudeness or looking at everyone like pieces of meat or anything. (FTR when I said the maca made me want to hump everything in site, it was a figure of speech!)

That being said you did say you ended a relationship and that can mess w/your emotions and thus libido alot. Mine's been in the shitter since my breakup.

• Pixx- I would be careful running a shitty blender for a long time. I lit one on fire that way.

Suasaria, you give me even more reasons why I want to marry a vegan. I want a man who can keep his desires in check, and in the right place. I don't want a husband leering at anything that walks by.

MomOf2Gremlins

And anyway, if I were you I'd be careful. You must have had testerone dominance. When we eat too much fat and not enough fiber the excess testerone cannot leave the body, gets reabsorbed, and can cause prostate cancer.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Constantin, I appreciate you both for your honesty and for your youth. The comment "Without a good libido, I'm not motivated enough to actively approach new women" is kind of an illustration of what I'd consider a "wrong way" to try to meet someone cool, and very much a "piece of flesh" scenario.

Of course I am a woman who knows how she wants to be approached, so my opinion/perspective is a bit different.

Maybe in a few years when these wild days are behind you, you'll be more in a headspace to seek out people you want to get to know better, without the need for them to turn you on sexually first.

Suasoria thank you (I think) for the compliment. This is all I will say about my sexuality and how I meet new people. I am a man and you are a woman we'll naturally have different perspectives on this issue if for no other reason than the fact that men are expected to court women rather than vice versa. I'm not about to limit my relationships (sexual or otherwise) to my immediate social circle just because that's what is socially acceptable.

Yes, if a girl is within my view and I find her sexually attractive, I will go over to her and talk to her to find out if she meets my standards because that's what I do (or atleast used to which is the point of this thread). I could sit back and pine over her from a distance and hope that some wild synchronicity causes me to bump into her and then have cause for conversation but I don't. I go up to her like a man, and start a conversation. Meeting new people is fun and if through the course of the conversation I find that she doesn't meet my standards for whatever reason, I have a new friend and some pleasant conversation to show for it. Call it a "piece of flesh" scenario or "the wrong way" to meet cool people, but there is the chance that I DON'T approach a future love of my life and she just walks out the door of that club or bookstore without ever speaking a word for me. I write this to explain my mindset not justify it. Hope this helps--no need for the condescension! When it comes to finding sexual partners, one of my first standards is that they turn me on!

judym
  • WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I wholeheartedly agree with Constantin. I'm female, and I choose my male partners in much the same way as he has described above. I prefer to take the lead on choosing who I date, and an easy way to do so is to initiate conversations with men I find attractive. Then I might date them or not, as I please. I respect them as individuals, and it is well within my rights to decide to approach someone as physically attractive without assuming that I'm treating guys as 'pieces of meat'. If you met me in person, you'd never assume that was the case. I'm sure the same holds true for Constantin. It sounds like he is thoughtful in his approach, and does not want to let life pass him by with missed opportunities.

If I hadn't initiated contact with my current boyfriend, then I would have missed out on this beautiful experience. I can't imagine missing out on it. This is someone I forsee having a long term relationship with, and in a long term relationship only ONE of the requirements is that you find them attractive. So many, more important qualities present themselves - common ideals, good conversation, hobbies, commitment, etc.

Looks as if this thread has taken a large turn, but that's okay. I've gotten the information I need. I see love as an organic and above all transient thing. Break ups happy, people die or move away, and the only constant in life is change. There are two ways to take this. You can impose a social/religious structure on top of this and hope that these feelings of "love" develop from some other source which usually ends up as interdependence and comfort, or you can dive in head first and whole heartedly.

I choose the latter. Heartbreak hurts sure, but it is by experiencing great pain that one gains the ability to feel even greater pleasure as a contrast. I don't believe in tying my partner down with them committing their undying love for me. Attraction is a natural thing and they aren't a BAD PERSON for being sexually interested in people other than myself. It doesn't mean they don't "love" me it just means they are a human with normal desires.

We both recognize the problem and attack it from opposite ways. I dive in head first and take life as it comes.Sure I can and will get hurt but I also can and will have amazing experiences and meet wonderful people at the same time.

• most of my sex drive is gone, and i haven't masturbated in about a 3 weeks - month. i find that when I eat a lot of fruit, it comes back, sometimes when i'm just having a very active day, i'll consume 3,000 calories of fruit...then i'll go home and jerk off.

hope that wasn't too vulgar.

not too vulgar but not too encouraging either! I really hope my drive comes back.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Obviously, my comment was lost on you, m'dear, but I feel no need to explain it.

I would like to apologize to Constantin, and all others following this thread, for my part in this digression.

No worries...it happens.

From other people I've spoken to, I'm going to stay raw. I was very tempted to eat some eggs because of this issue, but I think I'll just wait to get some maca and keep it going. The more I think about it, I may have had this issue BEFORE i even went raw and the raw diet could fix it. I'm very close to 100% right now and did a water fast today, so I should be detoxing at a pretty quick pace.

As a sidenote, acne i've had since 14 (i'm 21 now) is clearing up. also i do pullups on my doorjam and could only do up to 3 before. just now i tried some and did atleast 8 (i stopped counting out of shock). it's awesome. my six pack is as cut as ever and I'm loosing my chubby cheeks. I always wondered how the weight loss thing would go for me because i don't have much to lose without looking like a bag of bones but I must say I'm VERY pleased so far.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Glad to hear that some aspects are going well! You seem to have a pretty good attitude about it all, and that is always helpful!

:~)