Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

food combining

2»

Comments

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Yeah, I'm surprised avocado is listed as a starch. It's 77% fat!

And dried fruits combining well with nuts? Who would even suggest that? Someone trying to sell raw gourmet recipes?

• Yea I totally agree...I strive for 811 because I seem to have serious sugar metabolizing problems whenever I combine anything sweet with any sort of higher fat food. (Avocado, nuts, anything...raw or not.) My breath literally begins to smell like fruity wine- as though it's fermented inside of me! And at that point I feel very out of it, as if I'm on heavy duty pain meds. Plus I still feel ravenous after that kind of bad combo meal; I've experimented and I can eat 1000 calories ('health' foods but not raw is how I tried it) and still not feel full... It was a total nightmare before I figured out my poor body was unable to absorb the sugar due to the fat I'd already ingested. Then my only choice was to fast for a while (miserable when you already feel so hungry!) to get the fat out so I COULD absorb the sugars I needed.

My point is, if eating 811rv style completely prevents this in people who already have a problem, it seems logical that eating such a way is a good health strategy in general.

Just my 2 cents. I know why I eat raw & low fat. xoxo!

• A high fat raw diet is not as bad as a SAD diet. I don't remember now where i saw that statement here, but I disagree completely. If that was the case, I wouldn't have lost 10 pounds and felt 10x better when I first started raw and it was high-fat raw as many people do start with to transition over. I admire those that can jump right in cold turkey, but alas, I am not one of those. And I didn't even eat SAD beforehand. I ate a whole foods diet, green smoothies,and over 20 years of being a vegetarian. 811 or no overt fats, monomeals, etc, may be the best in the end, but not everyone gets there straight away.

As for food combining, there is truth to it. I cured (or put into remission) my ulcerative colitis. Docs say I just needed to be on drugs, remain housebound and in 5-10 years have part of my colon removed. That was it. Already being into whole foods and natural healing, I did my research and found a book with a strict high raw, light foods, food combining diet and I live almost like a normal person now.

So I definitely believe in tihe powers of proper food combining even though I didnt have any tummy problems either (that I noticed) with improperly combined meals before.

Losing weight is not indicative of health or nutritional adequacy. And 60-70% of calories from fat versus a typical (American) 40% of calories from fat is really, really bad for your body long-term (for both diets/instances). I'm not saying your diet specifically is horrible. I'm just saying high-fat raw is very bad for our systems.

• Pirawna- I'm so glad you were able to turn your health around with the raw diet- go you! Your story is inspiring.

• If superfood is addressing my comment, then I am pretty sure it was not your statement I saw. I know you do the 811 and always state the benefits of it. INformation is always a good thing. The statement I saw was ' high fat raw is just AS BAD as a SAD diet.' I feel that is a crappy statement because it can scare a lot of people away with the idea of, "oh, well then why bother? I'll just stick to my McDonalds and coca colas." And I refuse to believe that higher fat raw meal is equivalent to McDonalds and coke. Every step in the right direction is a postive one and can eventually lead to even MORE steps in the right direction that they never even intended to make. To even be high raw leads to learning SOOOO much about nutrion and whole foods and the poisons of refined food. I said no way to raw foods some years ago. But those lovely gourmet raw meals with nuts and avocados enticed me over. I thought i would try for one month only. But I kept going becuase I felt so much better and I didn't feel like i was being punished because the food was so good. Then I said no way to light eating and mono raw meals and 811. But thankfully i did try the higher fat raw because my tastes and food desires seem to naturally be changing and i often have mono meals of just peaches now because its the only thing i WANT. I never ever would have dreamed that would be the case when I love food and eating too much. It's so weird to me how my body is just asking for different things now. Apples and romaine was my craving last night. That's it for dinner. But I wouldn't even be at this beginner point of not for the higher fat raw to begin with.

It reminds me of the time I had JUST begun my vegetarianism. I was quite young. I was at a restaurant trying to convince my daddy to get a meatless meal. I was reciting how bad the meat was, blah blah. I pointed out meatless options aloud to him. I guess one had cheese in it and the woman standing behind me had been listening to me and starting going off on how bad the cheese was and why would i consume that if I am bothering to not eat the meat I am still huring myhealth, the animals, etc. YIKES! I was speechless and had no response! My dad was pissed and defended me but then ordered meat. Said that is why he didn't even want to start this crazy vegetarian stuff cuz no way was he giving up cheese.

Happy ending though, 23 years later, my dad buys whole foods and never eats meat at home AND he doesn't buy dairy anymore either despite that woman scaring him off in the beginning.

If we are talking health, I believe high-fat raw can be comparable to SAD. Some SAD people eat vegetables and fruit. It just depends on the person.

If we are taking ethics and other life into consideration, then of course high-fat VEGAN raw is best (and vegan encompasses all lifestyle choices). :)