Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

cultured foods

Im really getting into cultured foods. i've started pickling, but im wanting to make some kefir and yogurt.

whats the best way to go about this? i've heard kefir packets, jarrow dolphilis, or probiotic caples.

any information will help.

also is there a posibility i can do this wrong and make myself sick?

Comments

• I've often made yogurt from raw cow's milk using Yogourmet packets. You can also use a tablespoon or so of store-bought or previously made yogurt. I simply bring my milk home, pour it into a quart mason jar, leave it on the counter for a few hours. When it's room temp, add the content of the packets, shake vigorously, then leave in the oven with the light on (next to my kombucha ;) ) for 24-48 hours. The good bacteria will prevent anything nasty from growing in there. I think the process for Kefir is similar, you just need the Kefir starter.

Wild Fermentation by Sandor Katz is basically a fermentation "cook book." I'm pretty sure all the recipes are raw. Kombucha, sauerkraut, mead, yogurt, etc. I love cultured foods!

I'm trying to do less animal products though, so if someone can recommend a good vegan yogurt I'd be excited. I had a fabulous coconut yogurt at Cafe Gratitude, and would love to figure out how to make it at home.

Ciao!

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

i've got a recipe in The Raw Food Bible on coconut yogurt. also there is a nice coconut milk yogurt in wholefoods i often buy just becauce.

i dable ina little raw goats products, maybe i might want to try that? also there is almond yogurt recipe in the raw bible that uses jarrow dophilus.

the kefir packet in wholefoods has skim milk in it ..... i dunno

could i just remove some probiotics from a couple of my capsles?

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Here's the link to an Advanced Search for yogurt or yoghurt recipes (6 pages)

http://www.goneraw.com/search/node/type:recipe yogurt OR yoghurt

This one lists all the GoneRaw Food Prep Forum topics that mention yogurt or yoghurt (4 pages)

http://www.goneraw.com/search/node/type:forum category:12 yogurt OR yoghurt

Hope this gives you a good starting point.

• I have attempted coconut kefir before but I didnt like it. I used body ecology's kefir starter packet. Maybe it requires getting used to...I prefer just drinking my coconut water as is after that LOL

My uncle used to make his own yogurt LONG back...I think he used a little yogurt form an existing source and he added it to raw milk...left it out in warm place but for how long IDK...but he said he could make it over and over by just saving a large spoonful for the next batch...kinda the same for making kefir...you can use the one starter packet then save some of the batch to start another batch...think you can reproduce up to 4 times?? but don't quote me hee hee

GL with making yours!!

Peace

Lo~

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Rhio's Raw Food Nut & Seed Yogurts

:~)

• Sandor Katz, author of Wild Fermentation, made a nice simple youtube video on how to make sauerkraut

and Viktoras Kulinskas also has a page called "Making Sauerkraut and KimChi without Salt."

http://www.therawdiet.com/vikraut.html

ok i just watched rhio nut yogurt video - i liked it, im going to try it . instead of buying a yogurt starter pack can i just use some of my probiotics?

btw i cant wait to get wild fermentation!!!!

Im going to be pickling some pears and making iscream with it this week... my friend did it last night!!