Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Taste buds?

I'm somewhat new to Raw and I absolutely want to continue in this journey.

But I'm desperately wondering: are my taste buds going to change? Some foods I eat are absolutely hard to swallow. I mean, it tastes terrible at times--and I try and pick out recipes I think I'd like! And when I don't like them, I wonder if I ever will. So...will I?

fingers crossed!

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

my tastebuds are definitely more accepting to the new foods i've tried. i used to HATE almond butter and avocados while i was eating primarily cooked vegan food, but now i love them. mainly avocados- soo darn good. even zucchini pasta and butternut squash taste so good to me and i thought they would be disgusting eaten raw.

you definitely won't crave the same things you used to. i used to crave icing all the time (delicious, i know) and now my cravings are for bananas and dates.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Dr. Oz says you have to taste something at least 10 times before your body enjoys it, if it didn't at first... So uncross your fingers and keep eating the recipes you are making and one day, you will love the things you never did before... Oh happy day!!!!

• Things will "grow on you"- give them time... I'm sure it's different for everyone, but I've found if I eat something I don't like very much when I'm really hungry, it tastes OK, and then the next time I try it, I actually like it. Main point- don't try to down something you don't like if you're not really hungry or not in the mood, or you will only reinforce not liking it.

• Because the Kale soup made me feel so physically and emotionally good--I not only ate the rest of it but I made it again today--and I just loved it! It was very strange that it wasn't disgusting anymore. I find that very strange but I'm thankful I gave it a try! I'm in good spirits!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

what do you like? what do you not like? I'm a big believer in not forcing yourself to eat too much of something that you are repulsed by. for example i was repulsed by cabbage then ate it and it gave me major gas. as long as you like some type of fruits and veggies, you are OK with eating a lot of one type for awhile. it may be that your body really needs it.

• I think it's in our genetic code to like vegetables since its what we are meant to eat! It just takes a little retraining of the tastebuds. I also think that you DO have to try things more than once to get a true idea of them as someone here already mentioned. The first time you taste it is just a shock to the tastebuds.

I know I despised green olives all my life. but I would keep trying them because family members would just be in heaven eating them. I would keep tyring to see what I was missing and BLECH!! Then my husband loved them, so again I tried to see what the hell i was missing. and lo and behold, suddenly, it was good! lol. And now I adore all olives. Especially green.

Now grapefruit is another story. Tastes like battery acid to me adn I DO keep trying.