Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Night Eater

I was wonder what you guys eat when you are hungry late at night? It seems like every night I get hungry around 10 or 11, and I don't want to eat something because it's late, but I do anyways because my stomach's growling. I can't sleep when I'm hungry so I usually make a smoothie (the blender annoys everybody) or have a banana. Is there any way to avoid this?

I eat substantial dinners. Last night, I had zucchini pasta (1 large zucchini) with tomato marinara sauce. It was a huge portion and I ate half at 5:00 and the rest at 7:00. I was still hungry after that though around 10 so I had a bowl of cut up banana with grapes and dates. Ever since I cut out most of my fat and protein intake, I've been hungry more often. I'm not following 80/10/10 when it comes to food combining but i follow it with the ratio of my carbs, proteins, and fats. I average around 2,500 calories a day.

Thank guys!

Joanna

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

For me, zucchini and marinara is not enough. It may seem like a lot in volume, but it's not really a lot in calories. You may be able to get more in if you have a smoothie earlier in the day or try to eat more in the first part of the day. i need a huge smoothie for breakfast and a large lunch. then i eat more at 5pm and a smaller dinner after that.

also, if the blender is annoying everyone, try making it earlier in the day and saving it.

• I do the same with smoothies, make a big batch and keep one in the fridge for late night consumption!

• I'm usually peckish around 11pm as well, and I usually eat a handful of nuts, or a few watermelon chunks. Cucumber slices do the trick also, and are light on your stomach. Quite often I find that I'm not actually hungry at all, I'm just thirsty.

• i used to always want to eat at night, and i realized it's because i didnt eat enough during the day. i focus on having nice big breakfasts (a quart of green smoothie), an almost as big lunch, and then a smaller dinner. now im just way more into eating during the first half of the day- it's better for you and a lot more convenient. if you get your body to adjust to eating more during the day, you wont have the late night hunger problem.

• I feel you, sister!

I have a similar problem, and after alot of bunk experimentation, the other night I ate a couple of kalamata olives (I had soaked them in water way before this to remove some of the salt) and then ate some dulse seaweed, which I find to be so awesomely palatable that I can eat a whole bag of it in a day if i'm not careful. both these things seemed to calm my cravings, and I figured the lovely fatty acide in the olives and the wonderful minerals in the dulse (including iodine which helps out the thyroid, which helps out metabolism and cravings) were great for me. I drank a glass of water about 30 minutes later and fell asleep like a pro.

I tend towards savory foods instead of sweets, though, so if you have a serious sweet tooth, this may not be your bag.

This is probably alot of sodium, so it may be a bit stimulating to some, but I swear, it had the opposite effect on me.

• Let me state that I am not condoning late eating, but as a human being, I realize that some days are gonna be harder than others.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I have the same thing Joanna, I get a bit peckish about 10/11 but feel a little guilty eating so late. I love snacking on fruit through out the day, but my late night hunger tends to be for savory. (Although I do love a handful of raisins) I've been making kale chips recently - they taste just like cheesy wotsists and are great for a savory snack. MMmmm!

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I eat a bowl of strawberries late at night or sometimes just drink tea.....that surprisingly takes care of late hunger quite well.

• I usualy drink tea. It always seems to help!

• I love a big bowl of lightly steamed broccoli. I find that it calms me, fills me up, satisfies that comfort food, warm food craving, but is seriously light in calories and easy to digest. I might add a tiny tiny bit of salt or rosemary or even just a wee little bit of vegan margarine. Yes, not raw, but the rest of my diet is, so who cares? I'm not afraid of enjoying fresh vegetables lightly steamed. In fact, they help me lose weight and feel good. They also add that balancing effect and stop me from wanting high fat foods like nuts or unhealthy, processed, cooked foods such as pasta or crackers or bread or soy. For a sweet craving, fresh watermelon or a couple of sweet organic valencia oranges at night is a winner in my book!

• that happens to me too...but it's worth it:)

• pixxpixx Raw Master

bananas. or sliced banana & berries in a bowl with a small amount of nutmylk. or a few dried apricots/prunes/dates. or kale chips. or... ;~)

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I recently read that bananas have tryptophan, so that would help sleep, too! :~)