Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Leg cramps - Charley Horse?

Hi all, doesn't anyone else suffer from charley horses/leg cramps in their calfs? The past two nights Ive woken up in the middle of the night with terrible leg cramps. I've had these a few times throughout the years, but wondering if my electrolytes are out of balance. I've recently cut out grains, and am 80% raw. Anyone else have the same symptoms??

Comments

• I had problems with leg cramps about two weeks into a raw month (now I fluctuate between raw and high raw). For me, I believe it was sodium. I started salting my food again, and the cramps went away. I also tend to have low blood pressue, so I don't need to cut out salt anyways. The processed food that I cut out of my diet probably had tons of salt.

• I have suffered from these leg cramps for years and so has my mother, we eat very different diets, and trust me we both have tried EVERYTHING!

the one thing that always works is Quinine, either in the form of a nutritional supplement which can be hard to find, or in a small glass of natural tonic water before bed.

other than that it helps to stretch before bed, keep your legs warm when sleeping, and if possible, avoid high heeled shoes.

hope that helps!

• susan121susan121 Raw Newbie

Eat more BANANAS! You may be deficient in potassium, which causes leg cramps. I used to have leg cramps back in high school, and as soon as I'd eat 2 or 3 bananas they would quit. I hope this works for you! Leg cramps are no fun!

• thanks everyone! They seem to have subsided in the past week. The ironic thing is that I started eating more bananas but was still getting them. I cut out grains recently, so that could have been it - anyhow, thank you for your help!

• I used to get them pretty bad after being raw for a month. I looked into it and think it might be that I was low on both calcium and potassium. I started eating more dried apricots, figs, sunflower seeds, along with lots of greens, which has helped. I also track all of my nutrition info on fitday.com so I'm aware whether or not I'm getting enough calcium, potassium, and protein.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

I used to get horrible charlie horse cramps in my calves and feet almost weekly. I haven't experienced them at all since switching to a high fruit, low fat diet. Most of it has to do with dehydration and not enough oxygen in the body.

• I looked into it and think it might be that I was low on both calcium and potassium. I started eating more dried apricots, figs, sunflower seeds, along with lots of greens, which has helped.