Question about 80-10-10 - measuring percentages

First, of all, I'm finally delurking. I'm a great lurker, but not much of a poster, no matter which forum. :)

I'm starting to experiment loosely with an 80-10-10 diet. Basically, upping my fruits a lot, and reducing my fat. Just to see how it affects me.

My problem is I'm very mathmatically challenged when it comes to concepts. I can add, subtract, multiply and divide in my head like no one's business. But when it comes to figuring out how to apply stuff, it's like talking Swahili.

For example, my total calories for breakfast were 669. 162.7 grams carbs, 5.2 grams protein, 2.7 grams fat.

How do I know what percentage of my calories are carbs, proteins, fats, etc. I need a formula or something.

I plan on getting the book, but that's going to have to wait for a month or so. So until then, I'm humbly asknig for your assistance.

I'll try to get back here and tell more of my raw (un-raw, raw, un-raw, raw, etc, etc, etc) history.

Thank you!

Comments

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

you could use nutridiary or chronometer. 30bananasaday.com is a forum for 811ers so you could ask any questions you h ave over there too.

• Uh, duh. I thought I would have to do the math myself. That alone would be enough to scare me off.

Thank you very much.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

raw joy, i've been doing 811 for about 3 or 4 weeks now and after the first week, i stopped measuring stuff. i think you get used to the amount of carbs, fats, and proteins in all the foods you eat. i used www.fitday.com to see what i was eating.

how do you like the book? it has totally changed my perspective on fats.

• I haven't gotten the book yet. I just know I've see-sawed on and off raw for several years. And, yes, I lose weight, but not a lot. I feel somewhat better, but not super super great.

I've kept reading about 80-10-10 and kind of thought it was extreme and was probably too rigid. I've read where some people tried it and did not have good results, so I always kind of blew it off. But I realized when I first went raw, I didn't know about recipes, percentages of fat, or any of that. I just started eating fruits, veggies, and salads. And I lost 30 pounds in 3 months and felt great. And I was probably close to 80-10-10 without thinking about it.

So I'm upping my fruit, and monitoring my fat. Eating much more simply instead of thinking I need to "cook". I only want to measure for a few weeks or so, just to how what I'm eating evens out.

I did go to fitday over the weekend, and it is very helpful.

Thanks for chatting with me.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i'm glad you liked fitday! i don't follow 80-10-10 to the extreme because i honestly feel that i need more fat in my diet. i usually eat 1 avocado a week so my hands don't get bloody red and scaley. besides the fat, i follow it really well. my breakfast is always a fruit smoothie, lunch is always a bunch of fruit, and dinner and snacks are salads and fruit.

whenever i don't eat enough fruit, i always go back to carbs. we had hardly any fruit in the house yesterday so i ended up eating mashed potatoes. i always do that when there's no fruit!!! haha i don't get mad at myself though. i mean, it's potatoes for cryin out loud!

do you have any other raw food books? i was thinking we could trade them with each other.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

80-10-10 refers to the percentages balanced out over time. If your eating one avocado a week, or anything close to one avocado a week you're still way under for when it comes to averaging out the whole week, or the whole year.

• Since I tend to have dry skin, I think I'll probably end up doing a little more fat than 10%. I'm going to try and keep to the ratio for a few weeks and see how I react.