Irish Moss-for newbies

daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

Irish Moss is fantastic. I ordered some after seeing it appear in a few recipes. Once I got it, it looked a little daunting, I put it in the pantry and let it sit there. Today I decided to tackle it. I made the most delicious Almond Joy ice cream. It was actually fairly easy. I will post an official recipe once I have the measurements down. Today, I just put stuff in and mixed until I had what I wanted. For those of you that are comfortable with a pinch of this and a handful of that, here goes, I highly recommend it!

1. Soak a handful of moss, I would guess it was about 1/2 c. I soaked for about 5 hours, rinsing whenever I thought about it.

2. Blend with enough water to keep it moving until smooth, white and creamy.

3. Add 2 T. coconut butter (Artisana, not coconut oil), 2 heaping T. raw cacao powder, drizzle of vanilla, pinch of salt, 1.4 c. or so sweetner (I used date sugar) blend until smooth, taste and adjust flavors. I think I added a little agave at this point. It should be like a thin pudding.

4. Mix in a couple of tablespoons of dried shredded coconut, and a couple of tablespoons of chopped (I put them in a ziploc and rolled over them with the rolling pin) and then put it in the ice cream freezer. If you don't have an ice cream freezer, I think it would make a great smoothie. I would blend in a little ice before adding the coconut and almonds.

I can't wait to try other flavors. I really couldn't believe that it could be so good, when I read other recipes. It has no flavor and just creates body. I think you could easily decrease the water and make a fantastic pudding.

Irish Moss is my new friend!

Comments

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

p.s in the package it doesn't look very user friendly. It looks brown and sandy and little funky. However, once you get it out of the package and rinse it, it's pretty easy to work with. It looks like branches of seaweed, go figure. It pretty much stays in big branch like pieces, making it easy to use, but hard to imagine it will make ice cream.