Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

bill to outlaw organic gardening PLEASE READ!!!

Subject: Monsanto: A bill to outlaw organic farming next week?

US House and Senate are about (in a week and a half) to vote on bill that will OUTLAW ORGANIC FARMING (bill HR 875). There is an enormous rush to get this into law within the next 2 weeks before people realize what is happening.

Main backer and lobbyist is (guess who) Monsanto (aspartame maker) - chemical and genetic engineering giant corporation. This bill will require organic farms to use specific fertilizers and poisonous insect sprays dictated by the newly formed agency to "make sure there is no danger to the public food supply". This will include backyard gardens that grow food only for a family and not for sales.

If this passes then NO more heirloom clean seeds but only Monsanto genetically altered seeds that are now showing up with unexpected diseases in humans.

There is a video on the subject.

And another one:

The name on this outrageous food plan is Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 (bill HR 875).

THIS IS REAL, FOLKS! PASS THIS ALONG TO ALL CONCERNED ON YOUR MAILING LISTS & CALL YOUR SENATE REPRESENTETIVES TODAY! Get on that phone and burn up the wires. Get anyone else you can to do the same thing. The House and Senate WILL pass this if they are not massively threatened with loss of their position.... They only fear your voice and your vote.

The best thing to do is go to

Comments

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

One thing I hate about Americans is they are so complacent.

Organize a protest ! A strike ! Somebody organize something and do something ! I'm not there, I can't do anything about it...

• The Organic Consumers Association, who I generally trust, has put an alert on HR 875. They apparently support some aspects of the bill, but not all, so they're urging Congress not to pass it. They do warn against some of the alarmist rumors abounding on the internet though. You can read more here: http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_17355.cfm

I'm just providing this for a balanced look at the issue, not to start a fight. Thanks for bringing this up, glamazon!

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

EDIT: There are two current threads on this subject. Thought I'd cross post their links, since we have information and currnet opinions going on both right now.

http://www.goneraw.com/forum/subject-monsanto-bill-outlaw-organic-farming-next-week#comment-114342

There were a couple of recent threads discussing this bill. I found Meditating's response (reply #6) on this thread particularly illuminating. Thought I'd pass it along.

http://www.goneraw.com/forum/congress-trying-skrew-food-supply-some-more

Here's another link that discusses in layman's terms the implications of this bill:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/organic.asp

• Thanks so much emtpdmom!!! That thread with Meditating's knowledgeable reply is awesome!! Thats another thing I love about this site...that I can count on all of you for the real deal. Much appreciated!!!

Enjoy your weekend!!

Lo~

• The Snopes explanation is VERY important. The implications of this bill are unclear yet but much of the negative hype is untrue.

The connection to Monsanto is also false, since the Rep (DeLauro) who sponsored the bill has actually no connection to the company.

• If this is true, then ... ANARCHY!

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

We already spend a fortune avoiding their chemicals and now they are trying to force it on us by law one by one we are watching laws enacted not for the citizens but for the corporations I am starting to agree with you Alyssia Anarchy might be our only way out of this mess.

Too bad they are not many true Patriots left our founding fathers would be disgusted by what has happened to their ideas for this nation. We must protect our food! We have so little freedoms left just the facade of what once was.

The best form of slavery is convincing the slaves that they are free.

• Another raw-fooder posted this info on another site I stalk about this debate

http://www.leavemyfoodalone.org/

Welcome to LeaveMyFoodAlone.org

This website is a petition designed to stop HR 875. In its current form, the bill could prevent small local organic farms and community gardeners from growing and selling you nutritious, truly fresh, organic produce. It would crush our small local food producers by imposing heavy government regulation that only large corporations could adhere to.

I sent this following letter [with inserts/pieces from various people's opinions from raw food forums and special thanks to Meditating from this site] to the above link ....

There are alot of issues with this proposed bill...especially the wording which is an obvious way to leave loop-holes for big business and people that still have excess money to sway people in power. Meanwhile the majority of the population are struggling financially and more worried about a roof over their children's head and having ANY food on their tables at this very moment to voice opinions about this bill. Sadly, there are MANY people in our country that are just unaware of this bill---or any other bills being pushed thru to become laws. I think the majority of the time, our government banks on that!

According to Congresswoman DeLauro, she introduced the bill to deal with recent food-safety issues experienced during the last administration. Although she is actually IN and a participant of the political arena she somehow is unaware Republicans slashed the food inspection budgets to such levels that yearly inspections were unable to be done. According to the FDA, they did not have the budget to inspect these facilities once every 10 years let alone once yearly!! Now President Obama has promised to raise the FDA food-inspection budgets by approximately $1.1 billion dollars annually. But I'm concerned that as with the LOOPHOLES from the "bank" bailout that the bigger fish in the FDA will get the money intended to FIX/STOP food contamination and disperse as they see fit. Let's face it, Food and Drugs should never have been a JOINT DEPARTMENT in the first place.

Another concern with the bill is that while those injured by violations are given a right to sue, they can only get actual damages, perhaps attorney fees, and no punitive damages. This often creates a disincentive for an attorney to take a case on a contingency basis. Sadly we are all to aware there aren't many Erin Brockovich's still roaming around nowadays.

This bill basically takes away a consumer/victim's right to sue while protecting corporations from damages for intentional conduct. By example, it is like when a surgeon is high on coke [not the cola...altho its sugar content can get ya high as well..another FACT the FDA minimalizes with their propaganda...and by the way, weren't sugar commercials removed from TV due to them being defined as addictive substances] while performing a surgery and amputates some one's leg "by mistake," he only has to pay for the cost of the lost leg and no more. Many doctors have been protected this way under state "tort reform" laws. If this bill applied to medical malpractice, the injured patient would not be able to get "punitive, or punishment" fines from the surgeon as a means of dissuading that surgeon and others from performing surgery while high.

If this bill's regulations were applied in a one-size-fits-all manner to certified organic and farm-to-consumer operations, it could have a devastating impact on small farmers, especially RAW milk producers who are already unfairly targeted by state food-safety regulators. Although this Bill seems somewhat well-intentioned, we are calling on Congress to focus its attention on the real threats to food safety: globalized food sourcing from nations such as China where food safety is a joke and domestic industrial-scale and factory farms whose collateral damage includes pesticide and antibiotic-tainted food, mad cow disease, E.coli contamination and salmonella poisoning. And, of course, Congress and the Obama Administration need to support a massive transition to organic farming practices." I'm sure Michelle Obama would be very interested in this whole proposed bill, especially now that she went on national news and showed the area on the White House grounds that her future garden will be located. History has shown, whatever the First Lady embarks on, many Americans tend to follow suit. Thankfully we now have people in that seem genuinely concerned about health and wellness in our country.

From a concerned citizen...and I signed my full name and left a number I could be reached at.

so any opinions about this?