Raw and Weight Loss

I know weight loss is a debated topic...

I have Lupus and Fibro, so my life became very sedentary because of the pain I was in. I have worked in raw foods for years, but didn't eat 100%. In order to control my pain without drugs, I decided to go raw. It's amazing! The pain is almost completely gone and I'm able to pursue a much MORE normal lifestyle. I exercise when I can. I try to walk daily.

I would like to lose 50 lbs or so, but it has been coming off so slowly! I've been 100% raw for 4 1/2 months and have lost 10 lbs. I have been trying to focus on veggies, but I crave fruit so much. I used to eat an avocado daily, but they started giving me headaches, so they're out mostly. I love young coconuts, but they're hard to find in northern MN, so it's a treat now and then. Weightloss obviously isn't my primary motivation, but I believe the more fit I am, the easier daily life will be on my body.

Any suggestions for how you lost weight or words of advice?

Comments

• i think fruit gets a bad rap sometimes. Education is a never ending journey, so who knows maybe i'm missing something. My instinctual answer is to up your fruit and if your body needs more greens it will tell you. i do think greens are very important though. i would suggest juicing (as opposed to smoothies) first thing in the morning and adding cabbage juice. i always notice my skin looking great a few days afterwards, like, wow, what's going on? Then i remember i had cabbage juice. It also seems that dry brushing makes a difference- especially on the stomach- which i thought was just in my head, but i've heard others mention it.

• Hi EmilyJayne,

I too was discouraged my first 7 weeks of Raw with only small weight loss. I started getting colonics 2 weeks ago(1 per week for the first month) and it has really helped a lot! I have lost a total of 15 lbs. in 2 months and I feel much better. Just make sure to get a bit of healthy bacteria back into your colon by eating some Raw sauerkraut or other fermented veggies.

As with you my main goal is not weight loss but health. I had my gallbladder removed 7 years ago and I have Hashimoto's Disease. It can be more challenging at times because of these health issues but I am starting to come around. I hope one day to be off my meds:)

Another BIG help was starting the day off with 16 oz. of green juice. I switch my greens all of the time so I get a good variety of greens. I also put greens in my morning smoothie which I drink after I workout. I try to steer clear of too many nuts and avos because it is hard to digest them without a gallbladder.

Hope that helps,

Nicole

• I am not in any way a dietary/nutrition expert, but maybe you are having a hard time losing weight because you are not getting enough calories...the whole starvation mode thing. If you want fruit, have at it. You already know what your body does when it has mostly veggies, so try eating all the fruit you want for a few weeks and see what happens. Couldn't hurt....

• Why exactly are you trying to avoid fruit? It is the most magical, nutritious food on the planet! They provide vital nutrients and vitamins that you can't get from just greens! What are you eating other than just greens that is raw if you aren't eating fruit? Lots of nuts and seeds? I'd say that you would be consuming way too much fat, if so! And if you are consuming just greens, I can bet that you are no where near satisfying your caloric needs! Greens are so low in calories you would have to consume pounds and pounds of greens to even come close to meet daily needs! And then since greens don't digest as fast as fruits (although they are certainly faster than nuts and seeds,) your body is tired all day digesting all of those greens.

Fruit is the food of the Gods! Eat it!!