Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Avocados

2»

Comments

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Myself, I wouldn't put them in a food processor to make guacamole. If they are over processed they brake down to a texture I am not fond of. Kind of like nuts turn oily when processed (into nut butter). I simply use a fork, or potato masher. I found a small sized masher at a kitchen store that works great for this!

My guacamole: one avocado, juice one lime, sea salt. I like it plain without onion, garlic, or tomato; but you could add any or all of those diced up.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

pixx that sounds super simple and yummy! im definatly going to try that this weekend.

gemninja thanks for the tip - i was wondering how to make the avocados last longer they always seem to get smushy on me.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Avocados are often an acquired taste because they're so different from other foods. Their flavor is subtle and unique and I think if you don't care for them the first time perhaps put them in salads, dips etc and soon you'll be craving them and they'll grow on you so much you won't be able to live without them!

• "My guacamole: one avocado, juice one lime, sea salt. I like it plain without onion, garlic, or tomato; but you could add any or all of those diced up."

I also will add a little chopped cilantro or cumin to give it a bit of a kick sometimes. mmmm.

• You are like a guy I date. I tell him he is just eating smashed avocado! Cilantro, and the rest of the fixin's is what makes is guacamole.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Sorry, nope. To each his/her own. Lime and salt make it guac in my book. Cilantro is nasty in *anything*, to me.

;~)

is it possible to eat too many avocados? i heard that even though they are high in good fats women in general have a tougher time breaking down fats. could they cause weight gain or become diffcult to digest?

• they are very good monounsaturated fat- i think an average avocado pear contains around 15 gms of fat- so may be one a day then you can eat other stuff too- depending on how much fat you personally have a day

thanks fruitie! i know the amounts of fats a person consumes depends on the age/gender ect. but i know that women can only tolerate certain amounts, and im just not sure what that is. i dont really consume too many nuts and my EVOO intake is limited.

i just love the taste of avocados now they are so delicious! the only thing i have trouble with is mashing them up to make a guacamole type dish - i use a fork but i find it gets really messy. does anyone possibly have any tips for avocado mashing? :)

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Morning Mikfizzle -- I open and slice my avocados, as demonstrated in the YouTube video EmilyJayne references in reply #10. But I take it one step further. Before removing from the peel, I also slice in the other direction, effectively dicing it. Depending on how I plan to use it, I slice and dice in larger or smaller chunks. It's just much easier to control the slicing and dicing with it in the peel. Sometimes I also "split the layer". That is, I cut parallel to the top, flat surface, like you would if splitting a cake layer to make two layers. This gives even smaller pieces. It is easier to mash up the smaller pieces for guacamole. Sometimes I just leave the avocado in small chunks and dice everything else in about the same size. Makes for a nice chunky guac salad, and if the chunks are small enough, it also will still work as a dip.

Mmmm . . . think I'll have to do an avocado salad for lunch.

• yes ive heard that too somewhere mikfizzle that women can only tolerate certain amounts- for a woman they recommend 70g of fat intake a day i think thats for maintenance and 50-60g if you want to lose weight.

you can put the avocado with the other ingredients in a blender- i put the other stuff in first- onion etc then add avocado at the end just for few seconds then it doesnt go too mushy-

• I buy avocados by the crate they are a staple for me I feel full for ages afterwards have really helpt with my diadetes am full of energy and almost never have cravings they are lovely and creamy a fantastic fruit I could not live without them,mixed with fruit or veggies they are great.