Help. My husband just got home from surgery!

Hey guys. My husband just got home from surgery for a Hernia.

I guess the Anesthesia makes it hard to urinate sometimes. They gave him a catheter because he couldn't go and he went ALOT. (cuz he had 3 IV's)

anyways hes home now and he feels like he urgently has to pee and he can not go. Im so worried about him. he's in so much pain.

Is there anyyyything that you guys think might help.

Hes freaking out so much right because of the pain. He wants to go back and get another catheter only after like 2 hours after the first one. he's drank about 20oz. of water.

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

He needs relief....

You could massage his abdomen in a downward motion between the navel and bladder...

You could pour warm water over his groin area...

Most important is to relieve the pain even if it means going back to the hospital...

Good luck!!!

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Megan, I definitely agree with Waterbaby. She is a wise sage. My first concern would be for relief, even if it means going back to the hospital. Please let us know how he is doing.

• Prayer and faith in healing.

I am a firm believer in God and he has all my prayers right now. Waterbaby offered some good physical advice, I hope this spiritual advice finds you both very well. Be there for him, support him and try to distract his mind off the suffering. He made it through the surgery! He is alive! and fighting! Amen!

Keep the diet gentle as he comes back into health. Easily digestible is best. Green smoothies are a must, just what the doctor ordered!

He is lucky to have your help and you are lucky to have him safe! XO

• Get to the doctor. After a catheter, it's VERY common to get a urinary tract infection (UTI). (The catheter introduces foreign bacteria and gives a lot of surface area for bugs to grow, etc. When you add a weakened immune system during surgery, you create the perfect environment for an infection in the urinary tract.)

The sensations you describe are highly suggestive of a UTI or at least urethritis (the first stage of a UTI), when just the urethra is infected. The feeling of pressure (like you need to pee, but can't) is often the first sign.

Given that his body has been weakened by the surgery, he'll almost certainly need to go on antibiotics to fight off any infection (a quick urine test can tell if it's a UTI; a two-day culture can give more detail on what kind of infection it is, if the information is needed).

When left untreated, if the body can't fight off the infection (say, after surgery) a UTI can travel "northward" into the kidneys and cause kidney damage. So don't leave this alone!

You can also supplement any antibiotic treatment by giving him:

(1) lots of water/fluids

(2) probiotics to rebuild natural good bacteria after the antibiotic

(3) pure 100% cranberry juice (tart, yes, but you can sweeten it with stevia or dilute it with water!) to acidify the urinary tract, which makes it more hostile to bacterial infection (the scientific studies on cranberry juice and UTIs are uncertain, but it definitely can't hurt)

I hope this helps, and you are in my thoughts!

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, but my significant other is an MD and I get to ask him about these things -- plus, I've had past personal experience with UTIs.

• Thank you guys. Seriously.

The past couple days has been one big haze. I haven't had much sleep but the good news is my husband is doing much better. I was just so upset, and It was horrible for me to see him in so much pain.

I gave him lots of massages. (For relaxation & to help prevent blood clots)

forced him to eat healthy lol

Unfortunatly i have stuffed him with fiber and he hasn't gone number 2 since sunday. (& today is friday)

I'm going to have to give him a stool softener and help him....ya know blahhhhhhhhh But hey! that's marriage.

Is energy is A LOT better during the day now but when he stands he cant stand for longer than 3 minutes without almost passing out. Gotta take it one day at a time.

As for spirituality my husband & I are atheist but thank you for kind thoughts none-the-less