Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What can I use to replace coconut oil?

I am allergic to coconut! UGH! I love it and it seems to be used everywhere in recipes as oil especially.

Any suggestions on a good replacement?? And how about in desserts?? It is common there too...

thanks

Comments

• Foot FootFoot Foot Raw Newbie

Grapeseed oil!

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

dessets - possibly cacao butter ... u just might not get the same texture, but it should still b good

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

Yeah cacao butter will firm up desserts as well as coconut oil. However, your desserts will taste like white chocolate which can be great. I've made several raw cheesecakes using cacao butter with great success but the white choc flavor is rather dominant. Sweet Gratitude's White Choc Raspberry Cheesecake is an excellent dessert using cacao butter.

• Thanks, I'll try it... I have also heard safflower oil???

• Thanks, I'll try it.. I just ordered some...

Desserts are also hard because flaked coconut is also added to many recipes... should I just omit it, or replace it with something??

• Thanks

I'll try it... I like white chocolate...

looks like your cat enjoys cheesecake too : } yumm!

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

For desserts, it thickens and provides some texture and binding, I believe. :( Unfortunately, I don't know that that can be replicated. You can use Irish Moss and the cacao butter that someone mentioned, but not sure about the exact measurements and/or whether you'd get the same result.

I'm sorry to hear of your allergy!

• Thanks! I'm sorry too!! I love coconut!! I test it once a year.. maybe I can gradually introduce it back into my system..

Too many projects now, I have been a vegan for 1.5 years....75% raw -- doing a 30 raw food challenge...want to experiment more with preparing desserts and want to buy a dehydrator...

• My Coconut Cures book said that people who are allergic to coconut are okay with the oil because the proteins that cause allergies are in the meat. Coconut milk is NOT okay because it still has coconut meat in it.

If you don't get life threatening symptoms, you may want to test it out.

• Wow!! That is interesting..

I tried a coconut curry soup last year, I'm sure it was made from the milk... My throat was def irritated, but nothing major..

Maybe I will try the oil... What about water? Coconut water is very popular in fitness centers...

thanks!

• It seems to me that palm oil might be a good replacement for coconut oil, as they have similar fatty acid composition. The same could be said for cocoa butter and shea butter.