Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

DRY SKIN!!! Please help

So, for the past long while my legs (especially shins) have been really dry bordering on fish scaly. They are really disgusting.

I drink vegetable juice (including lots of celery and cucumber, which is supposed to help with dry skin) several times a week.

Also, while I sometimes use coconut oil as a moisturizer, it never seems to last long. I feel like it is simply a temporary solution (very temporary) and does not really moisturize.

I don't really dry brush, although I know that is supposed to help. Does it, and if so how long do you do it each time. My mom said you should vigorously scrub for 10-15 minutes, while I have heard elsewhere that you should go in long smooth strokes. I have so far (when I do brush) done the long, slow strokes, but I never feel like it is doing anything and so usually don't do it for very long.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially because I have my prom in 2 weeks.

Thanks

Comments

• Well I don't know if you would like to try this but it has worked for me in the past.

using extra virgin olive oil rub a thick layer on your skin all over from head to toes, wrap yourself in a old cotton sheet and go to sleep. The next morning shower in not hot water with a moisturizing body soap. your skin will be soft, smooth and shiny.

I do the long smoothe strokes when skin brushing doing it everyday.

Also do you eat enough healthy raw fats in you diet? I eat about 300 calories of raw fats a day and my skin is soft and not at all dry.

This is just what I have done and do use your own judgement.

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

I dry skin brush as I have the same problem as you, especially in the winter.

Start with the soles of the feet and work up through the body in upward, long strokes (upward towards the heart). On the chest area brush towards the heart, not the nipple area or you will get sore! Two minutes before you jump in the shower every morning is enough. I promise you will notice a difference after three days, and after two weeks of continuous brushing, you will be ready for your prom. The first few times be gentle and slowly increase the presssure as you get used to it. It is supposed to be a pleasurable experience, not painful.

A natural long handled bristle brush is best, (rather than a loofer) but don't use it on your face.

On the diet front, the things that makes the biggest difference to me is almonds (you only need a few a day) and avo's.

I moisturise my legs with a little Johnson's baby oil gel, but I put it on over damp legs. It helps to lock the moisture in, but to be honest I only do this if I remember or going out somewhere special! So if you want nice shiny smooth legs for your prom, I'd try this - I promise you will look great. Practice with it first though as if you put too much on it can spoil your outfit. Have a fab time.

• Thanks so much for your input.

Nancy: that is a great idea. I think I will try that. I've heard of doing that for dry hands, but never thought of it for body.

RawKaren: Thank you SO much. I had always heard that you were supposed to do it for 10-15 min a day, which kind of overwhelmed me. The few times I trued y arm got so tired, lol, but I can totally manage a few minutes every day. Good to know about the long brushstrokes as well.

On the diet front, I am sure that you guys are right, and that may be why my legs have been worse lately, coz I've been on a very low-fat raw diet for the past 2 months. I slipped off the wagon a bit this winter and gained about 10 lbs. So, I have been trying to lose that weight and am almost back to normal. After my prom I will go back to eating some avos etc.

• Oh, I was also wondering if it is very important when dry brushing to shower right after.

Thanks

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

Only so you can rinse off any residue. I forgot to say that if you want a wet scrub, try salt or sugar mixed with olive oil on your legs in the shower.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

It may be a yeast problem. Also, are you getting enough b-vitamins in your food? If you used to be (or are) a caffiene drinker/eater, it takes a while to build up the b vitamins again. I still drink tea, and I noticed the more times that I forget and combine foods that do not go together (ferment) and have way too much tea (I'm prone to that..I'm an emotional drinker ;) ) then my skin gets dry.

• Most people are not aware what baby oil really is:

Baby oil (Johnson's and all others) is just another name for Mineral oil, which is a BY-PRODUCT of PETROLEUM from the distilling to make gasoline and other petroleum-based pruducts out of CRUDE OIL. If you are using baby oil, you are slathering Crude oil over your largest organ, your skin, and it's being absorbed into your body.

Along with the skin brushing, drinking lots of water, and eating more raw almonds, avocados, extra virgin olive oil, etc, I'd continue using coconut oil, avocado oil, or jojoba oil on my skin instead of any baby or mineral oil.

• I also had dry/borderline scaly skin, particularly on my legs, and I have found that the long-stroke dry brushing has helped tremendously. I eat a fair amount of avocados and olive oil and my skin's condition has gotten steadily better since I started eating raw three years ago. As far as moisturizing, I've found that vegetable glycerin works really well. It's 100% vegan, pretty darn cheap and easy to find at most health stores. The only downside is that it takes some time to absorb into the skin since there are no artificial hydrators, but you don't need to use it everyday because it does its job really well. What I usually do is use it after a dry brush and a shower when I have a little time to walk around the house in my birthday suit to let it soak in. Have a great prom!!

• I can dissolve into a pile of scales and dust if i am not careful. I suffer from chronic dry skin and eczema.

I agree with not using baby oil. The oils that work best for me are the all natural oils and butters. Coconut, jojoba, almond, avocado, shea butter, hemp butter or oil, etc.

I dry brush. It really helps. Only a few minutes. The method and order that was posted above by RawKaren. On the arms, start with the palms and up the arm. Brush your arm pits. Lymphnodes there and dry brushing really helps them flush out.

My MOST IMPORTANT thing is to mist with water before applying creams, butters, and oils. Its really water that our dry skin is lacking, so putting an oil on it is not always the best relief. But to gently mist some water mixed with aloe or rose water will add that moisture and the creams will seal it in very nicely. My skin hurts no matter how much heavy cream I put on unless I mist first.

Earthworm herbals has some GREAT hemp butters mixed with ALL kinds of herbs to help skin problems from chronic dryness, excema, irritations, etc. LOVE my hemp creams. I order them online

Allafia has some GREAT shea butter lotions and creams. And I always make mixtures of all the other oils I mentioned above. Coconut oil is not moisturizing enough for me alone. I have to put something else with it or after it. There are many other natural creams out there, but these are my two store bought that I always go back to for years now .

• Thanks for all your input. it is really appreciated.

I'm off to dry brush now. =)

• Topical applications of Irish Moss are great for the skin.

You can go here to read some of the benefits of Irish Moss..

http://bestsuperfoods.wordpress.com/2008/08/14/irish-moss/

or

http://www.bewellbuzz.com/general/all-about-irish-moss/

or

http://www.purejoyplanet.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=108&osCsid=28acc3a437c45a1279add90a0a96c4d7

Here are some recipes I have collected from different sites...

First recipe from

http://www.waxandbubbles.com/category/irish-moss/

IRISH MOSS LOTION:

1 tablespoon powdered Irish Moss

1 cup water (distilled)

1/4 cup aloe vera gel (100% natural)

2 tablespoon almond essential oil

Soak the Irish moss in the distilled water for about 20 minutes to soften it. Pour this mixture into a small saucepan and boil for another 20 additional minutes. Strain off solids and what is left is a clear jelly. This is called seaweed jelly. Measure 1/4 cup of the seaweed jelly, then mix it with the aloe vera gel. Let the mixture cool to room temperature completely before continuing.

Pour the seaweed mixture into a blender or food processor and blend on low speed; slowly add the almond essential oil into a very thin stream until it is well blended with the aloe vera gel mixture. The product should turn white while this process is continued. Store your finished product in a clean container with a tight fitting lid. Use it the same as you would any other lotion. Only this product has added benefits and will soften your skin better than any over-the-counter lotion.

Second recipe from

http://ingredientjunkie.blogspot.com/2006/07/sorry.html

Make your own inexpensive anti-wrinkle gel to tighten pores,

reduce inflammation & help skin appear smoother.

Hand & Face Gel:

3 grams of dried Irish Moss

30 grams of water (add more water if you wish)

2 gram of Organic dried Lavender herb

1 gram of Organic dried Chamomile

0.5 grams of Organic Papaya Oil

0.5 grams of Vegetable Glycerin (optional)

Prep time: 10 mins

Method:

Soak the Irish moss, Organic dried Rose petals & buds & Organic dried Lavender herb in water for 10 minutes.

Bring water to a simmer then turn off the heat

Remove from the heat and let it cool.

Strain the herbs from the water into a bowl, pressing the gel through the strainer with a spoon

Stir in the Organic Papaya Oil & Vegetable Glycerin until it has emulsified

Pour the gel into a screw-top jar.

• I often mix my own butters and creams. I really think I am gonna get some Irish Moss and add it.

• I use to see a dermatologist quite frequently for dry skin and he actually recommended using hydro-cortisone or cortisone cream as a moisturizer. Works great! Also, when I drink lots and lots of water I definitely notice an improvement in my skin.

Since I have been Raw, my skin has looked awesome (for the first time in my life) and I definitely think it has something to do with hydration.

• Just a note: cortisone is a steriod I used it for my eczema years ago but I found I didn't need it anymore. after eating raw for a few months my eczema was gone.

• KMcR- My stash includes coconut oil, avocado oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, olive oil, shea butter, cacao butter, sesame oil, hemp oil....

I mix and match these things to make different creams or butters.

My water mists are pure water and I sometimes add different things like, aloe vera, rose water, lavendar water, colloidal silver, GSE, silica.

I always mist my skin first, then pat on my creams or butters.

I LOVE LOVE the hemp butters and creams by Earthworm herbals. They are packed with different herbs that are supposed to help eczema and psoriasis and dry skin.

http://www.earthwormherbals.com/eczema.html

• My cortisone creams were never enough to moisturize my skin. How strange. I would always have to apply moisturize afterwards and even then my skin hurt because I hadn't learned to mist with water first or even natural oils. My docs would warn me that my steriod creams would permanently thin my skin so I should use as little as possible only when needed. That scared me so I would often suffer not wanting to use my medications.

My skin is so much better now. I just have some stubborn eczema left on the tops of my feet but I am holding out. It is SLOWLY getting better.

• I've always though that most skin problems are caused by how the skin is formed, and that topical treatments, even if natural, just cover it up. I do not know how you're eating, but I would suggest you make sure that you're getting enough fats, vitamin E and water.

• Thanks Pirawna! That website looks awesome:)

• I read to eat Avocados, almonds, nuts and seeds, etc. Anything with a high content of essential fatty acids Omega-3 and Omega-6 and of course vitamin E and water to help your body on the inside to battle dry skin. I use lotion immediately after I shower as well, but I have noitced a difference since adding more and more raw foods to my diet!

Also, word to the wise, if you do decided to use a baby oil (even after reading the previous mentioned petroleum statement) DO NOT GO OUT IN THE SUN AFTER! You will fry!

Pirawna- What do you use when you mix your own butters and creams?

• I have very sensitive skin that is prone to dryness. I used to use burt's bees baby lotion for my legs (my shins also get dry). After buying a new bottle I found that the lotion, instead of solving my problems as it has before was making them worse, I turned the bottle over to find that the formula had changed and one of the new ingredients was coconut oil. So that may be part of the problem...

Also make sure your not using products high in alcohol, alcohol will only dry out your skin more, i use cetaphil products to moisturize- they have a thick cream, lotion, and even a body wash (which is great also for promoting clear skin)

You may want to try an oatmeal bath, or some variation of this- whole foods offers many great organic varieties of moisturizing oatmeal baths- i tried one with lavender in the other day and it was great!

of course what you eat makes a difference, but might not solve all of your skin problems

hope that helps