Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I feel completely awful

Hi there :)

I started my raw food excursion on Sunday by going to Whole Foods and buying avocados, tomatoes, celery, spinach, raw nuts, fresh lemons, dried goji berries ( raw) celtic salt and raw parma, and ate bananas and dates for breakfast. I broke out my juicer and made celery/spinach/apple juice and for the whole day I felt sort of ill.

The next day, Monday, I felt sort of ill.

Yesterday around noon I got a headache like the curse of the Thunder God,. This headache was so awful I could not stand up, I could not type, I could not walk or make it to the bathroom ( very well, I had diarrhea so I got there somehow a couple times). I ended up having two sips of diet cola and a tylenol PM just to be able to stand to put my head down on a pillow. I slept for about 19 hours.

I woke up this morning, all I could handle was water and a couple of grapes.

I had *no idea* I was that polluted.

Now I'm in this weird appetite situation where I know I should eat something but I just can't stand the idea of putting anything in my stomach. Any suggestions for a too-fast-detox situation when it's sort of too late to start over? I'm thirsty and I'm craving salt.

Comments

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

If you can do some more green juice with celery, that would be good.

Hope you feel better soon.

You might have "caught" something/your body is fighting off infection; we don't know it's a detox.

• I know exactly how you feel and believe me, I have been there before!

Headaches are hands down the most common (and frustrating) detox symptoms. Others I have experienced are breakouts, coated teeth and tongue and crusting around the eyes in the morning. If you have been eating the "standard American diet" for years and jump right into an all or mostly raw diet, the detoxification that happens is too much for your body to handle all at once and it gets rid of those toxins in any way it can. The toxins are now mobile in the bloodstream, causing headaches and general body aches. The skin is the largest and most active eliminative organ, hence breakouts and coating. And the frequent bathroom trips, well, that's to be expected; just another exit route for the bad stuff you're getting rid of!

The good news is, there are some pretty simple things you can do to help alleviate your detox symptoms. Drinking lots of water will help flush out the toxins in your bloodstream and send you to the bathroom more often, getting them out faster. This is probably the best way to help the headaches. Also, raw almonds have natural acetaminophen and I feel like the crunch gets rid of the tension in my head. Finally, one of my favorite ways to help my body along is to do a full body brush before I get in the shower everyday. You can get a natural bristle body brush at most health food stores for about $9 and it will last you at least 6 months (or, if you're like me, a year). Start at your feet and brush up your legs, brush your hands from your fingertips to your shoulders, and your torso and back as best you can. The skin excretes toxins all day, every day, and the brush will lift them away and unclog all your pores. It's also seriously great for your skin and it feels super invigorating.

I know I sound like a vegan self-help book, but I really like to read and I've done a lot of research on raw diets, fasting, detoxification, etc. I hope some of these little tricks work for you, good luck!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Check out http://goneraw.com/node/7725.

Sending you lots of healing energy.

• Oh, thanks for your replies everyone!

I was actually on a raw intensive and then vegan kind of thing up to about september of last year and then I just stopped. I knew it had been a while and I was going to go through some rough days, but I had no idea how bad I had really been until the carnival ride stopped, lol.

Thanks for the advice about the dry brush, I used to do that but forgot about it -- I'll go get one tomorrow and start. I didn't know about acetaminophen and almonds...phew...wish I had known about that one before!

Body aches, yeah, I felt like I was about 100 years old. It all just made me more determined. If a tomato and a couple days without your diet soda make you sick, you know there's something very wrong,

:). Thanks for the energy bluedolfin. I clicked through on your link and been reminded that I've been thinking about being raw for about two weeks and then going into a detox fast. Too late to do it the other way around and it might be easier that way anyway.

Cheers all....:)

• Drink lots and lots of water. and get a little extra exercise if you can manage it. mostly, drink lots and lots of water. good luck!

• :) I just got up and drank some more per your advice, silystarrfish. Thanks for the reminder.

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

I feel for you - it is truly ghastly when this happens. What works for me in these situations is to eat small slices of apple slowly - don't wolf it down! Apple does settle the stomach and if you are feeling like you are going to vomit - it helps this too.

Do I assume you doing the 'full monty' and going for a caffiene detox at the same time?