jerusalem artichokes?

i’ve read that these strange little root vegetables are great for diabetes. has anyone ever used them raw? i’ve found some recipes for cooking them, but i was wondering if anyone has worked with them raw.

Comments

• hello….yes, i’ve used them. i peel them and toss them in salad when i have eaten them. they have a similar texture to a jicama, apple, or waterchestnut with a similiar watery quality when biten into. the flavor is pretty bland and not sweet. i liked them.

• Hi If that is something you are interested in I also found this: Fenugreek is mainly used as digestive aid. It is ideal for treating sinus and lung congestion, reducing inflammation, and fighting infection1. Fenugreek seed is widely used as a galactagogue (milk producing agent) by nursing mothers to increase inadequate breast milk supply. It can be found in capsule form in many health food stores.[2]

Supplements of fenugreek seeds were shown to lower serum cholesterol, triglyceride, and low-density lipoprotein in human patients and experimental models of hypercholesterolemia and hypertriglyecridemia (Basch et al., 2003).

Several human intervention trials demonstrated that the antidiabetic effects of fenugreek seeds ameliorate most metabolic symptoms associated with type-1 and type-2 diabetes in both humans and relevant animal models (Basch et al., 2003; Srinivas, 2005). Fen is currently available commercially in encapsulated forms and is being prescribed as dietary supplements for the control of hypercholesterolemia and diabetes by practitioners of complementary and alternative medicine. In India it is also called methi dana.

In recent research, fenugreek seeds were shown to protect against experimental cancers of the breast (Amin et al., 2005) and colon (Raju et al., 2006). The hepatoprotective properties of fenugreek seeds have also been reported in experimental models (Raju and Bird, 2006; Kaviarasan et al., 2006; Thirunavukarrasu et al., 2003).