Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Inspiration to go Raw

SystemSystem Raw Newbie

?

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

hey, ashton.

i've only sprouted once and it must've been in 2008. i tried lentils and wasn't a fan, so i guess that answers your question. haha. i like my food to be easy mainly because i'm lazy and sprouting takes a few days.

• Sprouting is not necessary. but you do get a lot of nutrients from them I don't like sprouted lentils or beans except mung, but I love alfalfa, sunflower, clover, and broccoli most seeds are great tasting and have numerous nutrients

• I know what you mean, sprouting can be sooo intimidating. But I promise that once you start, you'll get a hang for it and love doing it. There is such a difference between your own and the store-bought sprouts. If anything is hard about it, it's because it's time consuming and hard to wait for it to be done. I recommend going out and buying the Easy Sprouter (its only like 10 dollars) and following the directions on it. Almost every sprout follows the same kind of pattern where you soak them for 8-12 hours, then drain. Then for the next 3-4 days you rinse and drain at a 45 degree angle, 3 times daily. I like to finish them off in a shallow dish after they're last rinse/drain and then refrigerate.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Hi Ashton, I must say I don't sprout that much but mung beans and quinoa are dead easy. Start small and see how things turn out. Quinoa sprouts really quickly and it's good for filling salads. Good luck on your raw journey!

• If you can grow vegetables, sprouting is way easier (IMHO). Easiest form of organic "gardening" out there. Regular rinsing is all it takes!

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I've only sprouted a few times and at first, I was scared. I actually bought this little "kitchen sprouter" and followed the directions to a T... everything molded over. So, i read on Sproutpeople.com that you can soak certain seeds and then just put them in a colander with a towel over it. Then, rinse & repeat. I've done this with Quinoa and had great results. So, I typically soak for 24 hours, then rinse and drain and put in the colander. Towel over it. After about 8 hours, I rinse the seeds and then just cover them back up again. Do this every 8 hours or so and then in a few days, you have sprouts. Not difficult.... just a pain to wait :)

• I would say you definitely, absolutely, positively, unarguably should be sprouting!!! You should not be eating any nuts/seeds that have not been sprouted due to the digestive inhibitors they contain. Think about it - a seed wants to be eaten, but not digested. It wants to go right through you so it can grow somewhere away from its mother tree. The way to unlock these inhibitors is to soak and sprout. Sprouting makes raw cheaper and more local, and I promise that you will get addicted to sprouts! I would say alfalfa is the easiest, and it only takes two tablespoons to make a whole quart jar of sprouts!

If you need more convincing check out Ann Wigmore's "The Sprouting Book". It has a great history of sprouting in human cultures (humans have been sprouting seeds for thousands of years), detailed directions, and some simple recipes for sprouted and cultured foods. We made her Basic Seed Yogurt, and it was delish.

Good wishes for your journey into raw!

• I love Dr. Ann Wigmore's books. I totally forgot about the sprouting book I've had it for so long.

I do encourage anyone interested in Raw and Living Foods to check out any and all of her books she was amazing!! They are a little out of date but the messages are still right on. Also in a couple of her books she has a chart of what nutrients are in each kind of sprout. I still use that to this day to make sure I'm getting all my required vitamins and minerals daily.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Good to hear! I've never gotten interested in sprouting. It doesn't fit into my lifestyle these days, but a little baggie of mung bean or lentil sprouts from the sprout lady at the farmers market is only about two dollars, and lasts us a week.

• i Soak the mung beans for 12 hours then i rinse like 2 or 3 times a day, it takes like 2 days for them to sprout. I eat them with a tiny tail, some dont even have tails and i still eat them. they are great!!