Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

So Angry!

2»

Comments

• How's about if you also agree to do a blood test once-a-year. I wouldn't go to just any old doctor though --one that does functional medicine - that is nutritionally based.

Many vegans are low on Vit D as well as B-12, so those are two things you would definitely like to get tested. I've forgotten the name of it, but the best test for Vit D is through Lab Corp and is something like OH 25...has the # 25 in it.

I am not a vegan and do eat small amts of meat, eggs fish etc --but very small ---and even so, my Vit D was EXTREMELY low. and I am currently supplementing with about 4000 units of D3 a day. I already was taking cod liver oil and krill oil occasionally, yet I was stll low.

But even meat eaters can be low on those specific things. As far as vegans, my guess is that very few are low in protein, but they do need to worry about the Vit D and B 12....

HTH,

Mary Kay

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I saw a funny result of a study once, funny because it was making fun of the protein question that omnivores sometimes ask vegans. The results were on average, omnivores are deficient in 8 vitamins/minerals, while vegans are sometimes deficient in 2, the vitamin D and B12.

Sunlight is the best way to get your vitamin D production in gear. :)

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I did not care for the Nutiva protein shakes.... apparently, they don't hull their hemp first, so it's gritty and not that great tasting. There are other brands out there that are better... i just cannot remember their names.

Sprouting Quinoa is an excellent way for you to get your protein. It's a complete protein (i think that's what the term was).... It's super easy to sprout it. I would sprout it and throw it in my smoothies or I'd make a salad with it in it....

I hope that helps you out a little!!!

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

thanks for the tips carrie!

if i wanted to sprout quinoa could i just the kind that comes in the box, or would i have to buy it from a health food store.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Naturally raw vegans would get more vitamins and minerals so it's hilarious that everyone thinks we're not getting enough........I understand about vitamin B-12 but many omni's are deficient in that too so they can't blame us! Besides we're conscious enough to take care of that at least.

Mikfizzle, I just would like to say it's been such a pleasure to have you on the forums with you concerns. You're so open! I love it! I hope you get all the help you need here.

Somewhere on here there's a protein thread that covers percentage of protein by volume and spinach has twice the percentage of protein as beef. Little known fact about meat is that the protein in beef is broken down when it's cooked. ha!

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

thank you trouble! i was worried that I was asking too many questions actually. hehe. :)

i will have to search for that thread, because from the reaserch i have been doing i think that its quite funny that many doctors are only given 3-5 hours of training in the nutrition field, and then they are allowd to advise us on what we should/should not eat when my doctor was a obese man until recently! I dont like how they tell me that i am not healthy and need to include meats and eggs in my diet in order to survive when whole countries thrive on diets of raw fruits and veggies. just because they may have never heard of a raw vegan before should not mean they should dismiss it completly.

• I think you're OK sprouting the quinoa from the store (it's usually not toasted or processed at high heat). I bought my quinoa in bulk from a healthfood store (bulk bins are wonderful inexpensive places!) and it sprouted fine.

You're totally right Mikfizzle, most doctors DON'T know about good nutrition besides the basic and incorrect dogma (the really dumb Food Pyramid guidelines, the obsession with protein, the focus on grains/wheat/corn/dairy). On the other hand, nutrition is such an emotionally charged topic that EVERYBODY is defensive about it -- you, me, the doctor, the health store worker, family, friends.

The best way to handle medical professionals who express concerns about diet, I have found, is "This is what I believe is right for me and my health. You know, I am always reading and learning more, and there is so much new information out there all the time about nutrition. If you have information or things you'd like me to read, I'll certainly consider them. But it would be most helpful if we could focus on my other issues/concerns/symptoms during this appointment."

Also, avoid bringing parents in to see the doctor/health professional with you, if you can. They'll ask leading questions and probably only get more worried, given how badly most doctors handle nutrition issues. But GIVE your family information about the raw diet or veganism, especially if they are concerned. They love you and they want you to be healthy! Be humble and admit that you are still learning about nutrition and health, but do hold firm on your own choices! This is your life, your health, and your body.