Buckwheat groats

daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I have a question about buckwheat groats. I soak and dry them to make buckwheaties often. I then use the bwheaties to make crackers. Do you think I need to make the wheaties first. or can I just put the soaked ones in with my crackers and dehydrate one time? Anyone have any experience with this? I am trying to cut an overnight step from my cracker making.

Comments

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

anyone? I was going to go home and try tonight. i guess if no one knows, I will by tomorrow!

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I think you can do that. I wouldn't eat a lot of buckwheat or dehydrated foods, but they're nice for a treat.

I eat 5 one inch square crackers about 4 days a week. A huge batch of crackers has about 1/2 cup of buckwheaties.

• I always just use the soaked buckwheat for crackers, why dehydrate twice? as long as you sprout them they work just fine wet as they do dry.

You might have to dehydrate a bit longer mine take about 12 hours per side or so.

Thank you Nancy! The only reason I dried them twice was because the first time I used them in crackers, all I had was the buckwheaties, not the soaked groats.

• Cool I'm sure they will work out just fine question for you though when you make your crackers what type of herbs and flavors do you put in? I'm looking for some new flavors for crackers for my kids to eat they are getting tired of the same flavors.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I use wet soaked (and sprouted) wheat and rye for crackers. I would think that buckwheat wouldn't be much different, but as Nancy mentioned it may take longer to dry, from what you've been used to. Or maybe you could try adding less (or none!) liquid to your recipe.

I, too, am interested in flavor ideas! My favs so far are sundried tomato with basil, and carrot with dill.

:~)

I use all of my vegetable pulp with a little salt, buckwheat groats, chia, and ground pumpkin seeds. They are more pulp than anything. I've thought about seasoning them, but, since the pulp tastes different everytime, the crackers are different everytime. And it has so much flavor of it's own, the pinch of salt does it. However, I bought some pesto crackers a while ago and they were pretty good, so what about a little basil. Or a touch of honey for a wheat thins kind of taste (not with the basil ;) . I've made flax crackers using cilantro and sundried tomatoes, those were good. I bet kids would like a pizza cracker with nutritional yeast, if you eat it, tomatoes, italian seasoning, little olive oil. Let me know if you try flavoring them and how they turn out. Oh yeah, my crackers seem to be fine without the extra step, they're still in, but I'll know this evening.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Mmm, pulp sounds good. :)