RAW=SICK

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry if this is a repeat forum, but I couldn't seem to find any similar.

I have been trying to make a transition to raw for a few months. I have tried several different ways. First just jumping in by going 100% raw, and latest by slowly introducing green smoothies into my eating. However every time I start eating raw, I get sick. Whether it be a cold, flu, or virus.

Has anyone else gone through this? Or does anyone have any suggestions to make the transition a little less difficult.

I am starting to think that this is maybe just not for me :( Please help!

-Fern

Comments

• Try going at it slower. Maybe a couple of apples or oranges a day and some lemon water. How long after you went raw did you symptoms occur? Sometimes those people that consume alot of dairy, get mucosy after going 100% until it detoxs out.

• kellyannekellyanne Raw Newbie

hi fern! what you are experiencing are detox symptoms. when you start to eat a raw natural diet, your body will have more energy to cleanse itself of toxins because it will not be using energy to clear out the toxins from cooked food anymore.

these are great signs that your body is recovering and healing itself. welcome them! when you feel ill, rest and reduce your intake of food so that your body can use it's energies to heal and cleanse.

if you return back to cooked food or the standard american diet, your body will stop the cleansing, healing process and will revert it's energies to getting out the toxins from the food you consume. that is why people appear to be sick when they start the diet and why symptoms go away when they return to cooked food.

http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/symptoms-during-dietary-transition/introduction.html

a water fast will speed up the detox process. if you're interested in doing a water fast here is a great site:

http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/introduction-to-fasting/

also, do not take any medications for the detox symptoms, this will hasten recovery time. it puts more toxins in your body and will make the process take that much longer.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Welcome Fern! And welcome to detox. Kelly is spot on. So is RAWmen about the dairy - a huge trigger.

You can slow down the onset of symptoms or you can add some detox regimens to help you through it and speed it up.

• Thank you sooo much! I really loved the links you posted.