drying cherries

I just filled my dehydrator with cherries and would like to know how long it takes to get them completely dry?

Comments

• Does anyone have any experience with this?

• Thank you! I pitted them, but didn't cut them in half. I'll have to check on them in an hour or so, and if there hasn't been much progress, I'll cut them in half.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

I don't have personal experience with fruits (yet), but a quick Google search usually will yield some reliable information. Here's what I found after scanning 3 or 4 sites.

Drying time will depend on your drying source and temperature. Cherries should be cut in half with stems and pits removed. Place them skin side down on the tray. The finished product should resemble a raisin. You don

• pixxpixx Raw Master

emtpdmom~ I love figs too-- but am not fond of them dried. Last year I froze them up (cut in half), and used them all winter in smoothies, and ice-cream bases. Some I simply ate frozen. I plan on buying much more of them this year, so I will have more to freeze, for the off season. :~)

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Silystarrfish~ I haven't dehydrated cherries but have done grapes...

I had one rack of red grapes, one rack of purple grapes and one of white... Each rack took a different time but the first one to be ready was about 4 days and nights at 110 degrees, I believe the last tray was finished in 6 days and nights... So hang in there as I'm sure the cherries wont be any faster...

I didn't cut them in half either...

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Pixx -- Thanks for sharing. I'll be gathering them while vacationing for the summer away from home, so I would need a non-refrigerated way to preserve and transport them. What was it about the dehydrated figs that you didn't like? Do you think dehydrated figs will still work in smoothies?

Does anyone have alternative suggestions for preserving figs for later use? These are fairly large, juicy figs.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I don't know, really- they don't even taste like the same fruit to me, once dried. I simply didn't care for them at all! Reminded me of fig newton cookies, which I never liked, either! :P

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

EMTPDMOM ~ If you like dried figs then dehydrate them and use in smoothies for a sweetening agent like "dates" or into a pie crust or cookie recipe... If not then quarter them into canning jars, vacuum seal and freeze the fresh ones.. Hope this helps... smile

• Waterbaby: I checked them this morning, and they are starting to really look good. a few of the smaller ones have shriveled quite a bit. I'm hoping they're ready by the time I go to bed tonight. I did pit all of them, so they've got holes going through them - I think that helped quite a bit with drying time. So if they're finished at 10 tonight, it will have been about 32 hours at 105*

I am glad to hear you had success with whole grapes. I've been thinking about dehydrating my own.

Thank you!