Kumbucha Culture Question???

IsisDCIsisDC Raw Newbie

I just got a new fridge, and in cleaning out my old fridge I found an old kumbucha mushroom culture in a tightly sealed container in kumbucha.

Now, it might be about a few years old, but it doesn't smell funny ( or any more funny than kumbucha can smell).

I just rinsed it off well under warm water and stored it in apple cider vinegar.

Does anyone know if it is still okay to use?

Comments

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I doubt it. It seems like it would have pickled and died. It's cheap to start a new one from a bottle of gt's (or other brand, I just like Gt's), and you know it's still safe and alive. :)

• IsisDCIsisDC Raw Newbie

Hey, thank you Have Mercy!

I actually used both this am.

Whipped up a batch of sweet tea last night and threw the culture and also a bottle of GT when pouring it all in the big jars for good measure.

I have it all tucked away in the linen closet, crossing fingers and hoping...

I have babies!!!

I cannot believe it, but I do!

I made enough for two jars, used the old scobys along with the GTs kombucha added for good luck.

I just check in the closet at the jars and they are both growing babies at the tops of the jars!!

The tea is a little cloudy but I am going to let them sit for a while longer....

YAY BABIES!!!

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

I am about to make some new babies! Woo hoo....

Congrats!

Well, it's been 2 weeks and the scobys are healthy and ready to make more, the batch is nice and vinegary with a slight fizz to it.

So glad I don't have to spend almost $4 for a bottle anymore!!

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

:D good to hear!!

• the_chumanathe_chumana Raw Newbie

You need to do some research...

If you put it in Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, you have now converted the mother to ACV mother. You now have Vinegar. You need a new mother. It will no longer contain the same beneficial acids and bacteria as Kombucha. www.happyherbalist.com has a free online book of EVERYTHING you'd ever want to know about growing Kombucha. I would recommend reading it before you end up growing something you'll regret.

Bucha Belly

The Chumama- really? I threw the mothers away and am using the scobys as mothers for the next batch.

The brew tastes pretty much like kombucha and the scobys look like kombucha scobys.

I looked on that site, which is a great site, but didn't find anything about ACV and it's effects on kombucha.

I hope the new batch is okay...

Bucha Belly
  • the_chumanathe_chumana Raw Newbie

An excerpt from the site, happyherbalist.com:

Note: cigarette smoke, paint fumes, off-gasses, strong sunlight will kill kombucha.

Use only distilled vinegars (or alcohol) for cleaning or to aid starting. Using raw vinegar may convert your kombucha to mother of vinegar. (MOV) Whenever you use any vinegar be sure that it is pasteurized or boiled. The common White Distilled vinegar is OK

Mother of Vinegar (from a red wine) Very similar to kombucha. However kombucha is a decidedly different species of bacteria and yeasts which makes kombucha unique.

Although adding herbs and other ingredients is a common practice care should be taken that something else is not created. see Kombucha Gallery for more pictures.

Bucha Belly

Well, that is very interesting. I think my batches are okay, but if the next batch seems funny I'll start over with a couple bottles of GT.

Thank you very much for this heads up!