Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

gone cooked again :|

marcellmarcell Raw Newbie

I just had some rice with tomato and beans, now i feel bad or because i ate it, i dont know i was really enjoying being 100% raw for 2 weeks now but if you live with someone that is cooking all those yummy things it is hard sometimes for me. i was just so sick of salad and other stuff i had here to eat and ate that. i cant pay that much on food to get all those raw nuts and powders and whatnots at the moment, maybe thats just an excuse but i was just getting bored of the food that i have here. I allways think that it would be easier to stay raw when you have enough money to buy everything you really like, like cashew cheese and macadamia cheese are way to expensive to make for me or almond spreads and bread and things like that, yummy cheesy things to stop the cravings for cooked food. :( :

Comments

• Rice, tomatoe and beans- I wouldn't worry about that (just my opinion). I guess it depends on your take on food. I don't believe cooked food is bad- just a lot of cooked food choices out there are. Have a nice big fruit salad today. Or a big green salad. Or both. Focus on getting in lots of fresh fruit, greens and veggies. Don't focus so much on what NOT to eat, but what is good to eat. At least that seems to work for me.

• marcellmarcell Raw Newbie

hey thats a good point of view!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Yeah, you've got to put it into perspective. It's not like you gorged on pizza and ice cream! Be kind to yourself. :-)

• IsisDCIsisDC Raw Newbie

I think it's okay once in a while to engage in a vegan cooked dish.

Are we raw because we enjoy diet or are we trying to deprive ourselves?

If you feel deprived then try a little cooked food once in a while, it's better than becoming resentful of your raw life and then gorging.

• i know i was not getting enough magnesium for whatever reason. So, I make sure to eat even cooked foods high in magnesium- vegan of course.

• Don't feel bad- eat healthy!

• No need to get down on yourself :) Just add in lots of raw foods (without depriving yourself of everything else) and your cravings will go away little by little. You'll just want to eat fresh! Whole foods like grains and beans or steamed vegetables, etc can be nourishing for you too. Just keep adding in the raw salads, fruits some nuts etc. And above all, just enjoy the learning process and your steps toward vibrant health. It should be fun! That's my take :)

yes i think i was trying to hard to be 100% raw over night and then felt bad when it didnt work out, today so far i had only fruit but simply because i wanted to not because i had to

It sounds like you are much better off not forcing yourself and instead embracing it.

Being raw should be about all the wonderful fresh things we enjoy eating, but it's not a fast or to be thought of as a way to deprive oneself.

I have decided to enjoy one cooked vegan meal a week.

I make this on Saturday nights so I can enjoy going out to eat with friends without having to scan the salads on the menus, because restaurant salads tend to be pretty awful anyway.

Now, there might come a time when I am not going to want that one cooked meal anymore and I will stop when I reach that point.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Hey lulushka8, was wondering where you were at these days. Long time no post. Hope all is well. :-)

• lulushak8, I have been doing the same thing! I'm a seasonal raw vegan. The amount of raw food I eat is determined by the season. I didn't notice it until you said it. I naturally go raw (100%-80%) in the spring and summer, but my body won't let me enjoy light raw foods (I need heavy foods like grawnolas, cakes, cookies, milkshakes, salads with lots of olives and also garden wraps are a must) in the late fall and winter months- I have to have cooked beans, rice, some fried tofu and other veggies.

Still i have no specific cravings- which is a good sign.

• freewitheftfreewitheft Raw Newbie

*raises hand* Yeah, me too. I've noticed that, in the last couple weeks, I'm starting to gravitate towards more raw already...even though we're still getting snow here. lol I guess my body's clock is pointing me in that direction regardless of the local weather. I have to admit that it's been nice, though, to share more dinners with my kids during the winter. They have awesome diets (you should see how we all devour a batch of kale chips together and I always make a huge batch of smoothies so we can share) but I don't see them going all raw anytime soon, they are used to at least a cooked dinner. So it's been fun to sit and have the same meal with them, and especially to eat plenty of steamed carrots and brussel sprouts. ;) But I am soooooooo looking forward to yummy spring/summer fruits and veggies!

ItVegan, I have a thing for olives in my salads too! lol

• :) @ Freewitheft

Ok well, I did make that zucchini with marinara for my hubby and I did like it alot, but guess why? Because I added Olive oil and onion powder to it-which I never do, but I followed Jennifer Cornbleet's recipe (she has some good ones). It was creamy, rich, and "warm". I guess it's all about comfort and warming foods in the colder months.

My smoothies even went from green to chocolate lol-oh, chocolate with almonds lol and even garam masala (chai like spice)

I don't think of David wolfe, Karen Knowler, Victoria Boutenko, Shazzie, Paul Nison as "chubby" they all look pretty good too me.

Their diet advice might not be the same as others, but they don't look like they have weight issues.

My opine, ...

• freewitheftfreewitheft Raw Newbie

You know, I do credit hanging around this site for keeping me around 75% raw most days during the winter (some days lower, mostly because I didn't want leftovers to go to waste so I'd have some for lunch). I think that otherwise I would have gone lower. It's weird, I would check out recipes and save them but never make them. lol I've never let myself feel too guilty about it, just try to give my body the stuff it's wanting and is healthy too. I don't subscribe 100% to any philosophy, but I do put a lot of stock in Traditional Chinese Medicine, and I have read that it recommends more cooked foods in winter.

ItVegan, choc/almond smoothies sound yummy. For a while, I was making "Amaretto" smoothies for the kids and I and it was like a melted ice cream treat: bananas, frozen cherries, almond milk, a dash of vanilla, and a splash of agave. :)

• I am new in the raw food world.. My journey began Sept. 09, I began my journey because of digestive issues. I leaped head first into this world and never looked back.I have never felt better, but I struggle with weight loss, STILL.

I begin everyday with a green smoothie in the late morning which consists of a handful of spinach, frozen banana blue-green algae, maca, hemp,sometimes cacoa blended with water or sometimes coconut water

Lunch is usually a salad either a basic veggie, or a sprout salad, with a basic lemon, and olive oil dressing

between this I sometimes will have a piece of fruit, if I am hungry

Dinner Is usually a wrap, nori roll, zucchini pasta or something simple like that.

When I have a sweet tooth I will usually snack on a few dates with walnuts

I workout 3-5 times a week.

I have no problem sticking to this raw world, I just wondered if I am doing something wrong? I have lost 12lbs in 6 months, and have been at a stand still for 2 months now. I have at least 50 more lbs to loose. Does anyone have any suggestions.

i allways wondered about that too, the point with the superfoods it is true tho that after i ate alot of fruit i mean really alot i was good for a couple of hours and didnt have a desire for cooked food but one point is that it is quite expensive to live on that much fruit especially organic. ok bananas are kind of cheap and i do eat lots of them they are my breakfast everyday i can eat them everyday but not all day long, not sure tho that if i would have the money to buy any fruit i want in any amount i need/want if i would stay on fruit and some greens

• Paul BPaul B Raw Jr. Leader

"Chubby raw authors like David wolfe, Karen Knowler, Victoria Boutenko, Shazzie, Paul Nison etc are all lovely people but when it comes to controlling their weight or having energy to be active? perhaps these people are not the best to take advice from."

I don't know all of these people. And there may or may not be other issues with some of the foresaid authors, but whatever else is true Karen, David and Paul don't look "chubby" to me. Paul drinks goat's milk these days so he's no longer vegan afaic. http://www.youtube.com/user/karenknowler?blend=2&ob=1. Karen and David both look pretty fit to me.

Paul