Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

need diet advice

mewmewmintmewmewmint Raw Newbie

i've been raw for about 1.5 years, I KNOW that if i could stay 100% raw i would see great benefits. i have a feeling that things i'm eating like olive oil, agave, and miso maybe aren't that great for me. i'd have a lot easier of a time staying on this diet if cashews or any of the tastier nuts were affordable. i used to make crackers but i would get really bad acne, i don't know if it's because it was just too much fat or if it was because the dehydrator cooked them.

my diet consists of:

green juice (i blend greens in water, squeeze them through a mesh bag, blend in more green, squeeze it again, and then i drink the juice while eating the blended dried bits. i find this is the fastest and easiest way to get the greens into me. it is also cheaper and easier to clean than a juicer.)

cucumber juice, with ginger, lemon juice, and agave (i eat the dried bits from this too after squeezing them through a mesh bag, i add the lemon and agave nectar after)

grapefruit and tamarinds i eat regularly, and any fruit that's on sale, occassionally pineapple

occassionally avacado

a simple dip made from olive oil and sesame seed tahini, miso, and lemon juice which i eat with carrots or radishes (brocolli i find tastes just awful but i might blend it in a dip)

when i fall off i usually get:

soy turkey and soy cheese sandwiches with dempster's bread (white with sesame seeds)

vegetarian chilli. i've tried raw chilli but it was watery and tasted more like tomato soup than chilli

lundberg or riceworx chips with hummus (Sabras is the best) i've tried raw hummous with chickpeas but it doesn't taste as good and legumes give me tremendous gas and bad smelling sweat.

samosas (i'd love a good recipe that just tastes like the inside part of a samosa, i don't need any wrapper thing... i'd just eat it with a spoon. WokBox samosas are amazing)

all savory things.

what if anything am i lacking?

what can i eat to become more successful staying 100% raw? (think i need more savory recipes)

i would like to eat more coconut since it is mentioned in david wolfe's books... i used to eat it with chocolate but later developed an allergy to chocolate

Comments

• eechoeecho Raw Newbie

eat more fruit. i don't see how the stuff you listed sustains you. i would eat processed foods too if i was eating that way. water-dense fruits are the most filling, in my experiance. i doubt an unlimited supply of free nuts would make it easier for you. if anything, it would be harder. i can't feel satisfied by eating nuts. some, maybe, but eating a lot of nuts and fat leaves me unsatisfied and craving cooked foods. water dense fruits are the way to go. expand your horizons, explore beyond grapefruit and tamarinds. bananas are cheap, oranges are cheap, apples are cheap... you can find cheap fruits. eat that other stuff too, if you want, but make fruits your staple

• susan121susan121 Raw Newbie

did you put flax in the crackers that gave you acne? if so, that may be the culprit. in some people, flax alters your hormone functions and can sometimes result in acne.

• grapefruit.fanaticgrapefruit.fanatic Raw Newbie

Since you're eating only juices and the dip you make, is it a "meal" that you're craving? I know that juices and dips can fill you up, but sometimes I just really want a nice plate of food instead of having something here and there-- it feels more satisfying.

Fruit has already been mentioned- how about a nice big fruit salad for a meal? Or a nice green salad with a bunch of veggies, maybe with an apple, orange or raisins in there for a sweet flavor? A big salad is really my favorite food, and you can change up the ingredients and dressings all the time to get different flavors. You could also try sprouting- sprouts are good in salad.

Also, if you're looking for inexpensive nuts, raw sunflower seeds are pretty cheap at Trader Joe's. I don't know about making crackers with them, but they are good to throw in a salad once in a while.

• buy raw nuts in bulk! there's got to be a natural foods store around you with bulk bins. they're so much cheaper that way (and you can bring your own containers).

i also second the fruit notion. in my opinion if you're raw and don't eat gobs and gobs of fruit every day, you're missing out.

• You gotta buy nuts every once in a while...

Here's a real comfort food meal. This is from Mathew Kenney's "Everyday Raw."

RAW MAC AND CHEESE (for 2)

Cheese Sauce-

1 cup cashews

1 T lemon juice

1 T water

1/4 Cup olive oil

1/2 t sea salt

3 T nutritional yeast

2 T yellow onion

1/4 t red pepper flakes

pinch cayenne

1/2-1 clove garlic(1/2 t minced)

black pepper to taste

Noodles-

2 yellow squash

sea salt

pinch paprika

sprinkle of finely chopped nuts

For the cheese sauce-process or blend all ingredients until smooth. You may need to add a bit more water/lemon juice to get the consistency you like.

Process the squash through spiral slicer or use a vegetable peeler(works great!) to create longer thicker noodles; roughly chop the noodles, toss with a bit of salt, and let sit for 30-45 minutes.

Mix noodles and Cheese sauce in a bowl and then put into seperate bowl and top with finely chopped nuts and sprinkly with paprika.

DELICIOUS, EASY, NUTRITIOUS.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

you're missing nutrients and calories from fruit.

• erinerin Raw Superstar

Eat more fruit!!!!

More nuts will only drag you down and make you hungrier b/c you still didn't get enough sweet calories from fruit.

I used to not eat enough fruit and I thought I had "food issues". I thought I emotionally ate and sometimes was out of control with my eating. I also had bad candida problems.

Now that I eat mostly fruit, some veggies, and a little fat every once in a while, I feel AMAZING!!!!

And as long as I make sure I'm getting enough calories from fruit, I NEVER want cooked food!

• mewmewmintmewmewmint Raw Newbie

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try eating more fruit.

And yes there were flax seeds in some of the crackers.

• And here's a raw chili recipe that REALLY doesn't suck:

Blend the following ingredients:

2-3 medium tomatoes

1 small carrot

1 clove garlic

1/8 c chili powder

1/2tsp sea salt

1/4 tsp cumin

Chop and add:

1/2c carrot (sometimes we grate instead of chopping the carrot. i like it better that way)

1/2 c tomato

1/2 c zucchini

1/4 c celery

1/2 c corn

1/2 c sprouted lentils

1/2 c red onion

1/4 c cilantro

1/4 c red bell pepper

mix this into your blended base and adjust seasonings to taste (I usually end up adding cayenne, and touch more chili powder, and maybe more cilantro or cumin to mine. Serve with a fan of thin sliced avocado and clover sprouts as garnish. SO GOOD you will never fall off into a bowl of cooked veg chili again!

• I'm curious, all of you sweet fruit advocates...do you follow the rules of proper fruit consumption and combining? I love sweet fruits but traditionally only eat them (and nothing else) from waking til about noon or 3pm, then switch to veggies and non high water content foods such as nuts and seeds. I've always heard how terrible it was to combine fruit with other foods as it causes fermentation and putrifecation (how the hell do you spell that?) within your digestive system. Thoughts on this?