Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

salty snacks

sometimes i'm in the mood for a quick salty snack, but i can't think of anything to make! there's kale chips, but that takes much too long. i have salads with savory dressings and savory entrees and all, but lately i've been reminiscing of sweet potato fries (although i eat some cooked things, cooked oil is not a good idea) and chips and the like after watching my friends eat them all the time! what do you guys make when you need a fix?

Comments

• cupcakes revengecupcakes revenge Raw Newbie

you could toss nuts with a bit of oil and salt

i also really like nut cheeses

or you could make a quick roll with ani phyo's walnut meat (it's almonds, walnuts, cumin and a bit of salt) - very quick and easy to make and perfect for a salty craving

and you could always make a pile of sweet potato dehydrated chips when you have a weekend or something and store them for when you're craving them

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

- guacamole (lemon, onion, cilantro, salt, pepper, avocado) with carrot slices

- macadamia nuts with lemon juice, dill, onion powder, garlic powder, and maybe a little salt if the lemon doesn't give the fix (this really helped when I was first transitioning)

-Celery!

- carrot juiced with a little ginger

- lemon juice in water and maybe a little ginger

- Dulse

Strong flavors sometimes make me forget the need for salt, and lemon juice seems to fulfill a need. Also, salty translates to crunchy for me - it was often the case when I missed the beloved potato chips.

• mewmewmintmewmewmint Raw Newbie

avocado + salt

usually i like my avacados by themselves without anything... but every now and then you get one that doesn't taste so great... for those i put on some salt and maybe a little hot sauce

usually i use himilayan salt... the pink stuff, ehehe

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

celery!!!

ever since i stopped eating salt, i crave celery. i have to buy 2 bunches a week because i just can't get enough of it.

• thanks you guys! (:

i'll have to try all of these

• Broccoli slaw! With a "peanut" sauce. Buy a bag (or 4, because you WILL want more) of organic broccoli slaw from Trader Joes, then whirl up the dressing in the blender (I use sunflower seeds, nama shoyu/soy sauce/coconut aminos, maple syrup/agave, ginger, garlic and a touch of toasted sesame oil.) Pour over top, mix and indulge! It's got that salty/sweet/crunchy combo that I just adore! I have been going through bags and bags of this stuff every week now....

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I would eat a food high in sodium, NOT ANY SALT. Unless you want salt so bad that bloating and internal problems don't matter so much.

Celery, tomatoes, some spinaches, romaine, melons, avocado work for me.

• @fuzzywater: that sounds SO good, i'm totally going to try that asap! thanks!

@superfood2: i don't really have much salt but it never disturbs my digestive system as long as it's himalayan pink crystals or a good brand of sea salt. i eat most of those foods, but if a future desire for salt is ever physical rather than emotional/social i will refer to your list. thanks

(: