Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

An Addictive raw food:o

2»

Comments

• kurite said. "Because humans aren't meant to eat grains?

http://www.sunfood.net/grains.html"

And that's a fact because the guys from sunfood say so?

There are a lot of different opinions about sprouted buckwheat, and lot of raw food chefs incorporate it in their diet and seem to feel fab. (including Ani Phyo, Kevin Gianni, Jennifer Cornbleet,...)

I really don't mean to offend you, it's ok if YOU don't believe in eating it! But if Sweet really craves them so much I think it's important for her to know that your opinion is only one of many.

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

Buckwheat isn't a grain... It's closer to a fruit. It's why so many of us with grain and gluten problems do well on it.

• kuritekurite Raw Newbie

Cami in what way is buckwheat nutritionally similar to fruit in anyway?

DB, I

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=11

"While many people think that buckwheat is a cereal grain, it is actually a fruit seed that is related to rhubarb and sorrel making it a suitable substitute for grains for people who are sensitive to wheat or other grains that contain protein glutens. Buckwheat flowers are very fragrant and are attractive to bees that use them to produce a special, strongly flavored, dark honey. "

http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/buckwht.html

My point is it is not a grain - if anything the argument should be made against seeds because that is what it appears to be. The name is unfortunate and misleading, but I can list more sources.

I agree though that if you don't feel well eating something, you probably should at the very least consume less of it if not cut it out.

• kuritekurite Raw Newbie

I already mentioned that buckwheat is technically not a grain but its nutritionally very similar to grains and not similar to any fruit I know of.

My bad. I missed that. I will do some nutritional research tonight but can't disagree with you on the face of it.

• grapefruit.fanaticgrapefruit.fanatic Raw Newbie

Sweet:

"Im guessing just eat what you like"----- You hit the nail on the head!!

Try to push away the thoughts of "What *should** I be eating?" You will drive yourself crazy. Food is supposed to be enjoyable- eat what your body is asking for!

As for your question on nuts, and eating "a whole bag" it doesn't have to be all or nothing. I eat them, but in small quantities, and usually with something else, like a salad, or a handful as a snack.

Personally, I think that if you're eating high raw, you can't go wrong. It doeesn't matter if it's 10% of this or that, or this food group mixed with that food group, etc. Just eat natural, raw foods that you like and that you feel good eating. Go from there. You'll be healthy and will have way less anxiety about what to eat....isn't that the beauty of a raw diet, after all?

There is great advice on here, but if you notice, there are many conflicting opinions. You have to try what works for you!

• Thanks everyone for the help. I think im going to go buy a bag of dehydrated buckwheat tomorow and ill try and eat less of it. II only start to feel wierd, when I eat the whole bag in one shot, when I level it out through the day its no problem.I just love the taste of them.

• today I got a bag of buckwheat had about 2 cups felt great this time!! I didnt eat the whole bag , I also had two bananas, 4 containers of raspberries,3 apples, 3pears, and 2 grapefruits!!! They were deliciouse:) I feel amazing really!!!!

• That a girl! If you are enjoying it (and it's setting well with you healthwise) don't worry. Your still getting your fruit in too:-)

• Thanks sisterbecky for all your advice and help:) Im so happy!!!