Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Hormonal Balance: The Root Cause Of My Adult Acne

From my site: http://www.itveganatgenesis.blogspot.com

Researchers have explained that the main cause of most acne is an overburdened liver. The liver, with its numerous functions, filter, detoxify, and clean our blood. It is hit hard every day by hormones, fats, caffeine, allergens, etc. When it is unable to filter these components it recycles them back into the body to be expulsed either through the digestive system or the skin.

It has been said that the skin is the window to the intestines and gut.

Unsatisfied with my regimen that mainly treated prevented troubled skin, I dug deeper to get to the gut of the problem and find a natural solution that would STOP acne from ever occurring.

I hypothesized that my acne was hormonal, because I eliminated known allergens and high fatty foods from my diet a while ago. I hardly drink caffeinated drinks and only eat chocolate occasionally.

In my case, my acne occurred 7-10 days before my cycle and began to subside a few days after the last day of my menstruation.

This could only mean one thing and brought me much relief. My acne was simply hormonal.

Hormonal acne is typically caused by a spike in estrogen levels prior to menstruation.

I figured that if I could balance my hormones, preventing estrogen to peak during the time of my usual PMS period I could possibly, successfully eliminate the possibility of acne all together.

So, far I have been acne free :) My skin is smooth

I focused on the balancing hormones by taking Omega 3 and 6 supplements along with papaya enzymes to dreak down these essential oils properly. The Omegas promote the production of "good" hormones, and many people are deficient in these. Then, I completely changed my skin care regimen.

I did not change my diet which is mainly gluten free and vegan. I even had fried food and some chocolate on occasion. This too proved my guess that my acne was caused by a hormonal imbalance.

New skin care regimen:

1. Gentle Soap for cleansing twice a day (Burt's Bees Baby Bee)

2. Aloe Vera Gel as a moisturizer (Fruit of the Earth)

New supplements (Taken 7-10 days before my cycle) :

1. Liver cleansing herbs 3-6 times a day:

Milk thistle, Artichoke, Dandelion, Turmeric (Natural Factors Milk Thistle Phytosome)

2. Evening Primrose (3 times a day)

3. Flax Seed (3-5 capsules times a day) or 1 Tbsp Flax Oil daily

4. Black Cohosh (3 times a day)

5. Super B Complex vitamin (daily suggested amount)

DRINK MORE WATER!!!

It's amazing how much more my water intake improved the overall condition of my skin. If I haven't drank enough my skin begins to look oily and blotchy.

This has worked for me, and I hope it will for you or someone you know :)

Comments

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Good post, but its also to do with an imbalance of androgens also and more likely androgens than estrogen.

anyway the best way to cleanse the liver is via the use of bitter herbs, they stimulate the bitter receptors at the back of the tongue which inturn stimulates the vagus nerve to release stomach acid, pancreatic enzymes, bile secreation whilst providing a flushing action to the liver and gallbladder. Remember to up your water intake as they detox your liver well. This will allow your liver to metabolize excess hormones more effeciently.

building up your good flora is also a good idea as the good flora helps break down excess hormone metabolites.

vitamin bs preferably from natural sources such as rice bran, bee pollen, nettle leaf etc are good as the vitamin b group help the liver break down excess hormones.

essential fatty acids as have been suggested are good for maintaining hormonal balance.

other adaptogenic herbs are good such as jiaogulan, maca root, ashwagandha, schizandra berry.

• KittyKitty Raw Newbie

Very helpful post, I continue to struggle with acne even after being Raw for quite some time..I'm thinking even the smallest amount of gluten will trigger a breakout. Its frustrating for sure, but I am going to to check out some of these supplements you listed. Thank you!

• Powerlifer: I totally agree with the info, my sources stated the same (I didn't feel like writing a dissertation on the matter though, I am an amateur you know lol)

except MACA was a NO NO for me- I never experienced acne as bad as I had while using MACA. It made my acne worse :( I think I'll revisit it when I'm older.

Kitty: Gluten intolerance causes acne for me as well (not to mention join, back pain, and a rash on my legs- YUCK!)

I still can't believe it has worked for me. I'm sure the probiotics that I take everyday as well as the papaya enzymes work some synergistic "magic" as well

• I posted pics on my site for my update: http://www.veganatgenesis.com/2010/05/hormonal-balance-root-cause-of-my-adult.html

Kitty: I even show the acne from my gluten intolerance under my chin and it's typically present on my neck as well.

Raw food does help balance hormones but my genetic make up is the root to my hormonal imbalance. Everyone needs different amounts of vitamins, minerals, etc because everyone is has a different genetic makeup.

Raw helps, but isn't the cure for everyone.

I had even tried low fruit, high greens and it helped but I still had breakouts :(

This regimen is really working for me. My husband woke me up today and said, wow your skin looks great so that really boosted my spirits and inspired me to blog about it.

Best wishes

if you havent tried bitter herbs id strongly recommend giving them a shot as there the best method to cleanse the liver and inturn achieve hormonal balance.

• Powerlifer, I sure have and they work :) I chose to use the herbs milk thistle, Artichoke, Dandelion, Turmeric. The brand I'm using now is Natural Factors Milk Thistle Phytosome. Previously I used Detox II (burdock and red clover). I'll probably revisit it in a few months because it worked very well.

are you taking them internally though or on the back of your tongue, as they must come in contact with the bitter receptors at the back of the tongue to cause the flushing/cleansing action of the liver:).

• Thanks for the tip :)

• so what is really good to detoxify the liver?

bitter herbs as i explain above are the best tool to detox the liver:).

• Can bitter herbs be taken in supplement form (like from the store) or do I have to pick these from the wild?

You can buy them from the store, any bitter herb in powder or liquid form is best. I prefer powder but there's no difference minus the liquid will likely be a tincture with a little alcohol.

Just dont buy capsuled bitters they dont work, they must come in contact with the back of the tongue so only powders/liquid work.

My store has quite a few bitter herbs, andrographis powder is the best its known as the king of bitters. For good reason too as its very bitter. Most health stores carry swedish bitter formula but swedish bitters contain stimulant laxative herbs which can weaken digestion and regularity.

• Wheatgrass juice is a natural detoxifier that you can drink (or take in powder form) but you can even wash your face with it or create a "mask" or "paste" to apply to acne or other skin problem areas. This article is pretty helpful about the detox side http://www.sweetwheat.com/sweet-wheat/a-natural-detox-can-cleanse-your-body

and this one discusses acne / skin probs.

http://www.sweetwheat.com/sweet-wheat/need-an-acne-home-remedy-wheatgrass-to-the-rescue

Good luck,

S

• Have you been screened for PCOS? I would request a blood test to see your hormone levels. pCOS may cause adult acne and other hormonal symptoms.

PCOS is actually caused by an imbalance of hormones rather than the condition comes first etc.

Getting your hormones back into gear with bitters for the liver etc will relieve PCOS.

Ive just wrote an article which might interest some on hormonal imbalances.

Tips For Hormonal Imbalance.

• Interesting article. I have suffered from hormonal acne on my chin and back since puberty until adulthood, and have been treating it with Vitex, evening primrose oil supplements and probiotics. I found the Vitex reduced the acne but not all of it. It wasnt until I took a liver detox supplement that my skin totally cleared up, I cant believe it! It has been over 10 years that I have battled with my skin and have tried everything including changing my diet.